372XP or MS 441 M-Tronic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them both but I worry about how the electronics will hold up over time in the mtronic.

See quote below...

Well...after yesterday I believe my decision has been made...

I took my 441 M-Tronic with me and met up with one of my friends who happens to be a logger suggesting the 372's...we threw a 28 inch Light model Stihl bar and a new RSC chain on it. One of his guys took it in place of his 372 for the afternoon and cut timber. He was very skeptical because he claimed it didn't balance as well as his 372 did but I was able to get him to cut with it anyway.

I walked through the woods with them, switching back and forth from person to person just listening to comments that were being made...some of what I heard...

"This thing pulls a 28 incher like my 372 pulls a 24"

"Easier on gas than my 372, but a little bit heavier; I think I'd trade the weight for the little bump in power running a longer bar and less refueling"

"Anti vibe is spongier than the 372, but that feeling goes away after a couple tanks are through the saw"

Owner/friend:

"That saw is putting wood on the ground just as fast with a longer bar"

"As long as the electronics hold up, Stihl has a good thing going"

There were some more, but with earplugs in, it was hard for me to hear and I couldn't hear them clearly enough to get them written down.

As of about 5 PM yesterday, they had ordered 2 M-Tronic's to run in their operation...I think the saw spoke for it's self when put in a production environment for an afternoon. I don't have any other need to test these saws other than in a production environment, because that's where they will be used.

I'm ordering another M-Tronic next week.

Flame suit on...

no you lost me

M-tronic all the way, Open up the muffler you got yourself a real beast of a firewood saw!!!!:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
It would be a cold day in hell before I trade my 372xp or 372xpg's for a 441.

I think they're both great saws. I'm just used to a 372 and it fits me just right. It would be hard for me to favor anything in the 70cc category over my XPW. The 441CM is my second favorite though. :D

I would really like to have a 372. I've ran them, and do like 'em. Not enough to give up my M-Tronic though. I like it's torque and that I never have to wonder if it's tuned optimally, and it balances so nicely with a 28" ES Light.

And it would be a cold day in hell for me to run a saw who sold out to mayjor chain stores, I know their pro saws arent sold there but that was enough for me to stay away from them!!! same goes for echo just sayin tho.:msp_biggrin:

This should be a good one...I believe these saws are going to be pretty close to the same, but let's see what the opinion on here is.

I've had several friends who are loggers in the area tell me to try a 372XP as my next saw. I've currently got an MS361 that's on it's way to Stumpy's right now, and an MS441 M-Tronic. All my saws do is cut firewood, about 500 cords a season, no falling or anything like that for me. Depending on how the magic goes on my 361, I might just buy a 362 and have Stumpy go over it as well and not buy another big saw, but that's to be determined.

Right now my argument is which one would you guys suggest I get...another 441 M-Tronic or a 372XP?

PLEASE PLEASE...keep the brand bashing out of here, I know these threads can turn into a brand war and that's not what I'm looking for. I want practical information as to which saw is going to be my best bet for power and durability.

You already have Stihls so get another that way you can swap parts in a pinch a different brand will just complicate things more.

I would really like to have a 372. I've ran them, and do like 'em. Not enough to give up my M-Tronic though. I like it's torque and that I never have to wonder if it's tuned optimally, and it balances so nicely with a 28" ES Light.

And it would be a cold day in hell for me to run a saw who sold out to mayjor chain stores, I know their pro saws arent sold there but that was enough for me to stay away from them!!! same goes for echo just sayin tho.:msp_biggrin:

Go run a 576 autotune. It might make you forget the 441 and they have the 28" techlite or you can run the 28" stihl light on it.:msp_sneaky:

I think stihl has done the same thing in some markets like our northern brothers. I've seen a lot of ace hardware and true value that carry stihl on in the homeowner series starting to show up through the east. I can care less where and who they let sell their saws when I think they have a better product that's not made in China.

:popcorn:

That excuse is usually the first stage of Husky denial. The second step will be admitting that Husky kicks arse! :D Step three is buying a new 372xp.

Like Mike said, Stihl is doing the same thing.

Go run a 576 autotune. It might make you forget the 441 and they have the 28" techlite or you can run the 28" stihl light on it.:msp_sneaky:

I think stihl has done the same thing in some markets like our northern brothers. I've seen a lot of ace hardware and true value that carry stihl on in the homeowner series starting to show up through the east. I can care less where and who they let sell their saws when I think they have a better product that's not made in China.

:popcorn:

I do like the 576AT, but prefer the snappy, aggressive demeanor of the 441cm.

The 576 changes a lot after modding. They are mild when stock. After modding they will come to life a lot more. It takes the computer a little while to come around.

Back