372xp Squish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkdb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got another thread going on the milling forum about bar size for my 372xp (non xtorq), So, I'll start by saying this saw will be used for milling at 9500ft elevation on softwood.

My squish measures 39 using solder as a gauge. This seems higher than desired. Seems like I could do a delete and get this down around 29 ish. I'm pretty much set on doing this. If it had measured in the low 30s I might consider staying away from it as I don't want a saw that runs too hot considering the duty cycle will be 100% for 3-5mins per cut. Any reason I should not do a base gasket delete based on those numbers? Will I gain enough HP to make it worth it?

Most base gaskets measure around .020" thick, so that would leave you with around .019" squish, so to be on the safe side, you could use a thin beer can gasket, or just measure the squish very carefully to make sure you are at around .020-25" if just using a sealer.

Most base gaskets measure around .020" thick, so that would leave you with around .019" squish, so to be on the safe side, you could use a thin beer can gasket, or just measure the squish very carefully to make sure you are at around .020-25" if just using a sealer.
If I were to proceed, my plan was to measure the gasket to see how much I’d be reducing it. Ive read about the bear can gasket. Honestly more a gin and tonic guy :)

Thanks for the feedback!

I would leave it right where it is for a milling saw, compression makes lots of power but lots of heat too
Noted. Heat is definitely a concern. Doing some smaller logs with my 50cc, I could tell the saw ran noticeably hotter than normal. Picked up this 372xp on a deal knowing I’d likely burn up my 50cc if I continued to mill with it.

372 got its great name as a falling saw, its light has good power and good throttle response. If I was going to set one of my 372s up for milling I'd make sure it had a good muffler mod to get the heat out and away from the cylinder, open up the lower transfers and smooth them for better velocity maybe widen the exhaust a bit but not a whole lot and I wouldn't raise it at all. I would probably get an xtorq carb on it too just for the sake of being able to get more cool charge.

372 got its great name as a falling saw, its light has good power and good throttle response. If I was going to set one of my 372s up for milling I'd make sure it had a good muffler mod to get the heat out and away from the cylinder, open up the lower transfers and smooth them for better velocity maybe widen the exhaust a bit but not a whole lot and I wouldn't raise it at all. I would probably get an xtorq carb on it too just for the sake of being able to get more cool charge.
The muffler mod and port polishing makes total sense. I hadn't thought to do either but both seem easy enough. As far as widening the exhaust port are we talking a few mm or more?

Also, is the xtorq carb an easy swap or does the housing or intake manifold need to be changed out?

I'd probably go 75% of the bore but don't raise the exhaust at all raising will lower compression and raise rpm. Also clean up the intake port and widen a couple mm but don't lower it.

Latest posts

Back