390 XP or 395 XP Ported or Stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to say the 395 but getting close to 60 I think you would appreciate the 390 more. I sold my 395 in favor of the 390 because I limb and buck with it. As most know when you are bucking big wood the saw weight is not a big concern, mostly supported by the tree. But almost everything else you can feel a big difference between the 2 saws especially at the end of the day! With the 395 I was good for about 4-5 tanks of felling the 390 about 6. The 395 is happy with a 36" bar the 390 not so much that is why mine is headed to MM right now. CJ

I love my 390. That being said, IMO, out of the box i dont think they are to impressive. My 390 was my first brand new saw, and first ported saw; needless to say it wasnt my last either. Just ask Brad lol, he did all three of my saws.

So would a ported 385 XP be better in the end? as in weight wise? or is there not much difference in weight between the two??

Brad ported my 385xp. It will output my 660, which is to be expected. I still like the Stihls though for their grunt. But the ported Husky's are a blast to run.

I love my 390. That being said, IMO, out of the box i don't think they are to impressive.
+1, Husqvarna left a lot on the table with the 390. Once properly ported she's a whole different animal, and will pull that 36" you require with much greater authority.
Comparatively speaking, I think the 390 made better gains than any other saw I had ported. Best bang/buck.

Your right, It isn't an "Apples to Apples" comparison. It does however show how much performance can be had through
porting weather your preference is Husky or Stihl. That is what is telling about it. Not so much the name on the saw.
I for one am Looking forward to the 661 build thread, as there isn't many of them out there.

I picked up a ported 2188 from tlandrum a bit ago. Have only run it once so far due to the winter we are having but I was impressed. Had to block up a bundle of oak slab for the wood burner and with 28" bar and old beater chain I could bury it and dog in to the limit of ripping the handle off without getting it to bog or drop RPM.

Back