394 XP Help!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
Reaction score
I recently picked up a decent 394XP ,,, it runs good but it seems to flood easily on semi cold restarts and the starter doesnt always engage Which I think is part of the problem its not making enough revs to fire the ignition module,,,, everytime you yard on it!!!! and making it hard to start. I am suspecting the metering diaphragm is getting stiff,,,, the as found carb settings were L 2 + and the H screw was about 3/4 open it has a home brewed dual port muffler I reset tpo base line settings and it seems to have improved,,,So I used it this last weekend around the fire wood pile to quarter some big rounds that were too large for me to pick up and put in the splitter but still is hard to start after setting for a bit,,, as long as you keep it going its good,,,, (gas Fouled three plugs before I checked the L/H settings,,,, Duhhhhh)

It starts easily when cold and when using it if you kill it to move around the wood/top/log it starts right back up if you crank it right away,,,,, but if you wait more than 5 or ten minutes it is a beotch to restart it,,,,, has 168 psi compression cold and 155 hot I suppse I need to pressure check the needle and seat (fuel inlet valve) before I tear anything apart!!!!!

I am thinking of checking out the carb and Admittedly I dont know squat about working on Huskies,,,,, is it easier to pull the cylinder and carb together??? do those carb screws go through all of that stuff into the intake side of the jug??????? what is the best fix for the starter the pawls??? they appear to have some burrs on the edges,,, can they be filed and made true again or does some body have a source for some new ones,,, the saw makes good power, idles good, and revs out like a dream,,,

Any suggestions!!!!

Ive never played on 394,but it looks like a classic case of vapor lock if she is hard start after 5-6 min .Do you have a hole in the top cover?Has to be closed.Check if your starter pulley ha not excessive play on the shaft too.Check if the pawls are moving freely too.

Last edited:
Ive never played on 394,but it looks like a classic case of vapor lock if she is hard start after 5-6 min .Do you have a hole in the top cover?Has to be closed.Check if your starter pulley ha not excessive play on the shaft too.Check if the pawls are moving freely too.

Top cover is closed,,, will check the shaft on the starter cover,,, after the second day I finally looked in the fuel tank and ended up replacing the fuel hose it had been shortened so much it no longer made it to the bottom of the fuel tank,,, When I found that I thought I had it fixed,,,,

Much to my availl,,,, How is the tank vented on those?????

Thanks HiOctane!!!!!

Pto side,almost facing the fuel cap but up high on the side.Looks like a dime recessed in a round hole.

I will see if I can clear it,,,

Thanks for your input,,,,

nobody else seems to want to help!!!! :givebeer: :buttkick: :censored: with as many knowledgeable huskie freaks that are on here!!!!

Rick- You can pull the carb without removing the cylinder. Sounds like to me you need to rebuild the carburetor. The tank vent on those rarely, if ever, fails. Make sure your fuel filter is good and throw a new carb kit in it.

If it's flooding that much then the metering may be getting hard like you say and keeping the inlet needle open more than it should. It could also be that the inlet needle lever is adjusted too high and is also keeping the needle open more, this is especially troublesome at low rpm and idle.

Most of the performance issues on a saw that's a few years old can be solved with a simple carb rebuild.

I recently picked up a decent 394XP ,,, it runs good but it seems to flood easily on semi cold restarts and the starter doesnt always engage Which I think is part of the problem its not making enough revs to fire the ignition module,,,, everytime you yard on it!!!!

Any suggestions!!!!

If the starter is only engaging part of the time, then there's crud built up on the pawls mounted on the flywheel. You need to clean those out real good with some aerosol carb cleaner. The pawls have a washer underneath them and are held in place with light torsion springs. Crud gets in between the pawl and the washer and keeps them popped out.

not to high jack thread, but on the note of other uses, i threw one in a camp fire one time, then was blinded for the nixt hour by the burning magnesium....:dizzy:

sorry Rat, although i have huskies i've never encountered a problem exactly like yours.

just got a 394xp too... feels really funny around all these Stihls... like a duck out of water... feels kinda heavy, almost same weight as much larger 084.

i thougth we pro diid use hammers

I would say 45-50% of the 'Help- my saw's not running right' threads on here would be cured with a carb rebuild. The other 50-55% would be cured with a 15-pound sledgehammer.

jacob

u sayin u fix sawz with a sledge hammer:biggrinbounce2: :laugh:

I just got copies of the workshop Manual!!!

Thanks nMurph!!!!!

looking forward to getting it sorted out,,,,

If there is one thing that burns my Arse a wee bit,,,, is an ill starting MOTO... Saw, mower, weed wacker, truck, or any piece of equipment that I need to use!!!

Thanks for all the help guys

Oh and you too Ultra,,,, But I about expected a bit of razzing out of you!!!!

LOLOLOL!!!!! :givebeer:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back