394xp race saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogg

Reaction score
:chainsaw:i am looking for everything from a race bar to a handle for my 394xp who to by from etc. can anyone help!

The first thing I would want to know is the rules for the event you plan to compete in. can you use a two piece head? alky? gas only? what size wood? what kind of times are you looking for? If you provide some specific information some of the builders might chime in.

The first thing I would want to know is the rules for the event you plan to compete in. can you use a two piece head? alky? gas only? what size wood? what kind of times are you looking for? If you provide some specific information some of the builders might chime in.
Ok so what class could a done up 394 be used in i am new to this and i would need some guidance on what to do with it, i have 2 394s so one is for work and the other is for play .

You're giving up some displacement, but I think a 394 could do well in small wood. I see you're in eastern Canada, so there should be somewhere cutting 8x8's or 10x10's. Rules can vary a LOT. Some shows have several classes, some are just stock provided and hotsaw. I would pick a show where you want to compete, and go watch. Gather some info, so you know exactly what you need to do. You said you want it to look stock, so that means no pipe?

First of all, ITA that going to the contests and asking questions is the best way to start.

If you are looking to build a saw, there is no reason not to mess around with it. Are you able to do your own mods?

If you are thinking about having it built into a race saw - don't, unless the shows in your area have a six cube class.

My avitar is a 394 race saw. I've finally got it running well, stay tuned for some videos from the races this summer. It has about everything done to it besides a cut off head and alky,

There aren't too many places where it will be competitive, you will be giving away twenty percent in diplacement - and that is to saws without stroked cranks. The modifications that I had done on mine would have cost the same on a 3120, and it would have been competative. I have a fun saw, don't get me wrong, but I can't run with any but the slowest 3120's. If I had been patient and got a seven cube saw to start with, done the same things to it, I could have been in the running at small shows - drill the carb for alcohol, put a head on it, and I could have run with all but the best.

Don't let this discourage you from racing, just don't blow a bunch of cash on it, save it until you figure out what you want. Do some mods yourself or find a reputable builder and have him port it and open the muffler. Get a good race chain, (you can run it on another saw when you move up) and run for fun. Evantually, you'll find out what you need and you'll have some cash to get it.

You can race it as it is in the 0-100cc work saw class on July 4th. Looks like about a 3 1/2 hour drive for you, and here's the thread on the event.........

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=99615

Thanks for all the help guys. I will be trying to do some of the mods myself but will need some guidance on things like opening up the muffler and where to buy the best chain, the porting i will do myself i have done it in the past on my race-bikes. So if anyone has a muffler for my saw thats already done let me know .

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. I will be trying to do some of the mods myself but will need some guidance on things like opening up the muffler and where to buy the best chain, the porting i will do myself i have done it in the past on my race-bikes. So if anyone has a muffler for my saw thats already done let me know .

There are a ton of threads on muffler mods and porting here and on others sites, try a search. I can't tell you where to get a chain on an open forum, I'm not sure the chainbuilders or the mods would like it. You can get information face to face at the shows. If you can make troutfisher's show, that would be a good place to start.

Back