394xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys
My BIL came out the bush with me a couple wends ago. He hasan 038M that he thought was a pretty big saw. He watched as my 660 threw the chips and was mighty impressed. Yesterday he bought a second hand 394xp from a guy at work. cost him $750. This saw is 10years old, it came with the owners manual and warranty card showing the purchase date. The Husky looks really well looked after and appears to be in good running order. Do I have anything to worry about performance wise compared to my Stihl? Theres only the 880 left in Stihls catalouge if this saws faster than mine.

It's hard to say. If yours is completely stock I bet you'll be sweating to keep up. The 394 is a beast. I muffler modded my 660 and have no complaints, haven't put them head to head yet.

ummm, I think your in trouble. thiner base gaskit, and properly ported muffler, and you might keep up If your a better chain sharpener. Find a skilled port guy to work the jug over, then you will put the hurt to that husky.. But stock saw vrs. stock saw. I think your going to have a bad day.

I know it's not a fair comparison or even the same saws, but my modded 395xp will smoke my 066. My 066 does have a 7 slot spocket.

I think stock vs stock, 660 vs 394xp the Husky is going to take the Stihl. IMO.

Before you look into an 880, you should look into some mods for your 660.

I reckon I'll be OK. His maintenance regime leaves a bit to be desired by his own admission. My 660 is pretty new and came with the DP cover standard. I think we will go out the bush tomorrow and see what happens.

I think the price he paid was very reasonable. My 660 was 1870 bucks new:jawdrop:

my dealer offered me a 660 for 975.00 but I did not have the extra money at the time. Still pizz's me off that I did'nt splurge for it.:mad:

All other things being equal off the shelf rating for speed =
1. 2094/2095
2. 394/395
3. 066/660

660s might be a tad slower but are still my favorite to use in the modern 90cc range. Lots of great reasons to buy Stihls but rarely is wicked fast speed one of them. I own many more Stihls than I do Ellux products. Even if you add up all the Ellux products together. However to be honest I own more Mccullochs than the Stihls and Ellux products put together.

Latest posts

Back