395 xp for milling ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back , bought the 395 for 515 dollars. Is for France a good price 470€. He said 2 years ago the air filter cover broke so he rode to a small local store . For 10€ they sold him a 394 filter and cover. Tomorrow i'll do some milling and post some pics. It comes with an as good as new 28" bar and semi round chain :)

86186.jpg

86202.jpg

18 inch wide 1 .15 thick
Milling was ok , but thought the difference between a 372 xp and 395 was bigger.

Coming 5 days sawing at a wine domain :)

setup for there

86194.jpg

a 280evl , a 450 xtorq , a 372 xtorq Xp and 395 Xp

Make sure that 395 is tuned right.

have not a lot experience with tuning. I must say it starts very well , cold and warm. Turns nice on full throttle in the mill. I cleaned out fuel tank , air filter , changed spark plug , but i was so stuck it broke off.
was a ngk Bmr6a in it , only one I have lying around was a new Bpmr7 a , hope this is not bad for the saw ? Used it on large oak log with a 24 bar and I love the torque of the baby :)

You won't notice the real power of that saw till you run 32"+ bar on it. I'd be sure to check your tune before you mill too much with it. Wide open throttle out of wood it should 4-stroke, then when its sunk in wood it should clear up.

395 takes the BPMR7A. it had the wrong plug in it although that plug would work just fine i'm sure. the 6A is only something like 10 degree's hotter. chainsaw's aren't as picky as alot of things.

I'd be careful about changing spark plugs. Lost of bad things will happen if you run the wrong heat range or wrong plug size wise. I'd stick with stock or make sure what you put in is an equivalent.

Sounds like you have the stock plug in it now. You should be good.

I know my uncle would richen up his 3120 when milling in the middle of summer. The saw makes a lot of heat and richening it up helps keep it cooler. Not saying you will have any issues with your new saw but if your running it hard in the summer then you might want to richen it up.

My 394 makes noticeably more torque when tuned to where it only cleans up with moderate pressure. My 385 is happiest when it cleans up with light pressure, and the SuperMike 288 is just so pissed off at the world it never seems happy.

Ways to get more "wow" factor out of a 100cc saw (I know, I know, but the 395 feels like one). Take advantage of the torque by lowering the rakers a little. Check with mdavlee and tide first, but in wood that small, I'd bet you could run an 8pin safely

Oh yeah if your running a 24" I would be running a 8pin for sure, but I have done no milling. I can run a 8 pin with a 36" but Randy did a hell of a job on it. Throw a 8 pin on that bad boy it should speed it up a bit.

QUOTE="mdavlee, post: 5249170, member: 23776"]What size chips are you getting when milling? I don't care for an 8 pin milling on anything that I've tried. Even the 088 was slower with an 8 pin running a 36".[/QUOTE]
Im glad you know cause when it comes to milling I do not.

QUOTE="mdavlee, post: 5249170, member: 23776"]What size chips are you getting when milling? I don't care for an 8 pin milling on anything that I've tried. Even the 088 was slower with an 8 pin running a 36".
Im glad you know cause when it comes to milling I do not.[/QUOTE]
I tried the 8 pins on a 395 and a 088. Both were ported but I didn't like the results after the first cut. When the chain was razor sharp it was ok. On the second cut which after that is when I touched up it would be hard to keep loaded and not bog or not load enough. Some hardwoods I think you should touch up after every cut.

Been looking the last hour at yt clips. I guess the speed of my saw in 18 inch oak (its cut 3 years ago and been lying in rainy winters and hot summers) is normal. When I see saws going quick through wood its around 10 inch or smaller. Btw is 3 year old cut oak considered hard wood ? I know the trees where around 200 years old. I use a Oregon ripping chain in the mill that I sharpen with a 2 in 1 tool from Stihl. Every 4 -5 planks I resharpen , is this the way to work ?

Turn the H screw counter clockwise until it sounds like this. As soon as I let up at all it starts 4 stroking

Thx advice but going to play it safe. I know someone in our village who offered to mod the exhaust of my 372 , I said no to him as the saw is still in warranty. I'm going to him with the 395 , he knows what he's doing . He has 2 of them . I'll let you know afterwards :)

Been looking the last hour at yt clips. I guess the speed of my saw in 18 inch oak (its cut 3 years ago and been lying in rainy winters and hot summers) is normal. When I see saws going quick through wood its around 10 inch or smaller. Btw is 3 year old cut oak considered hard wood ? I know the trees where around 200 years old. I use a Oregon ripping chain in the mill that I sharpen with a 2 in 1 tool from Stihl. Every 4 -5 planks I resharpen , is this the way to work ?
When the chips start getting smaller and the saw has to be pushed it's time to sharpen.

Just back from 6 hours of sawing. Did some of the larger pieces with the 395 with a 24 bar on it , this thing has torque :) on the way back I stopped at this friend. He adjusted the 395 on the spot. He hears this 4 stroking. He says I did a great deal on saw , was just bad adjusted. Going to make some planks tomorrow , I'm curious how she will behave now ;). Thanks for all advice guys.

Back