395xp: Replace clutch or clutch springs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIslxer

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As the title says. Is there any point in doing just the springs? They are around $5 online and the entire clutch is $30. I'm inclined to just do the whole clutch but convince me otherwise if this is something you're familiar with and feel just doing the springs is a worthwhile venture.

Generally the clutch doesn’t wear out in most cases and springs stretch and loose their temper with use and heat.
I myself would opt for spring replacement unless there’s other indicators that suggest the whole assembly needs replaced.
Are you having chain run on st idle? That’s a spring indicator.

Yep chain running at idle and stalls with chain brake engaged.....all of that. Ok so maybe just the springs. Anything I need to know going into a spring replacement? I haven't done a spring replace yet but it seems fairly straightforward.

Thanks!

Feel the inside of the drum also. Run your fingernail across it, it should be relatively smooth the whole width. If she's worn out,you'll feel the area where the shoes wear into it. Use your judgement, a little wear is alright.

if a 395 clutch is tired, so is the saw lol 395's usually just throw a spring and almost never need springs replaced otherwise even on super high hour units. have you looked yet? if we were talking about stihl i'd say replace the clutch. if you can see notches on the shoes where the springs connect the worn down material is enough to weaken tension on the shoes even with brand new springs.

Oh I'm sure this is a pretty high hour saw but with 160psi and pretty decent looking piston I was willing to take it on. I'll get my clutch off tonight and check everything out you guys are telling me to check. Great info from everyone, as usual. Thanks! One more question: Is the rope in the plug hole the best poor man's way of popping the clutch off?

One more question: Is the rope in the plug hole the best poor man's way of popping the clutch off?
No need to ever do that or use stops.
Can jam it and break a ring if the piston is to far down also.
Just go against the compression like taking a clutch fan off a vehicle.
I just use my bar wrench and bar for a hammer.

Well I'm leading the derp brigade...... Saw is completely missing a clutch spring unbeknownst to me..... Guess that'd do it. I'll get that spring back on there and see where we're at. Thanks again everybody. EBaying impacts right now. I needed an excuse.

Westcoaster nailed that sh1t!:rock:

If you are going to replace the springs then leave the clutch on the saw. Some saws have a groove that allows you to insert a scrench between the shoes to stop the clutch from turning while you pull the springs off. That is easier than trying to hold the clutch with your fingers. I have a $5.00 clutch tool that is like a scratch awl bent into a hook shape to grab the spring but needle nose pliers or a piece or strong cord works too.

If you are going to replace the springs then leave the clutch on the saw. Some saws have a groove that allows you to insert a scrench between the shoes to stop the clutch from turning while you pull the springs off. That is easier than trying to hold the clutch with your fingers. I have a $5.00 clutch tool that is like a scratch awl bent into a hook shape to grab the spring but needle nose pliers or a piece or strong cord works too.
Thanks! Yeah I wrastled with it a little while but got it in there. Big ass channel lock pliers ended up working best for me. You in the fire service?

Thanks! Yeah I wrastled with it a little while but got it in there. Big ass channel lock pliers ended up working best for me. You in the fire service?

I was a career firefighter but I suffered an OTJ injury that ended that career. Prior to becoming a FF I worked in a family fire equipment business, drove water tender on Cal Fire (CDF) incidents, and afterwards until this past fire season was a contract (CWN) faller for Cal Fire. You?

I was a career firefighter but I suffered an OTJ injury that ended that career. Prior to becoming a FF I worked in a family fire equipment business, drove water tender on Cal Fire (CDF) incidents, and afterwards until this past fire season was a contract (CWN) faller for Cal Fire. You?

USFS. Was on helitack for 5 years and am going on my fourth on a type six engine. Spent a season on a helicopter out of the Sequioa NF. How's the contract falling pay? Stay safe out there!

Latest posts

Back