4 Stroke CSM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banderso

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have started building a CSM powered by a 5 horse bottom shaft Briggs. Has anybody tried this? I would like to see some pictures of other designs. My design will still use a carriage system running on a track. Selling point is that it is cheap to make (everybody can find a bottom shaft somewhere).

I'd like to see what your plans look like? Most of the home made mills I've seen have been band mills powerd by horizontal shaft motors.:cheers:

Solid model

I might have a 3-d layout in Solidworks soon, but until then I will try to get some pictures.

Yep I'd love to see a drawing. I happen to have a verticle shaft B&S 11hp electric start out of a lawn tractor. Love to find a use for it as it runs great.:cheers:

Now that's what I'm talking about. Cheap, long lasting, rebuildable.....

Don't get me wrong, I like chainsaw power heads, just not paying for them.

I would start with 25 hp, this is 16hp and slow.

The h.p. gives you power ,not speed.A 4 stroke won't have the rpms that a 2 stroke has,so a gearing would be in order for this kind of mill.The gearing on the jack shaft would determine the speed on the chain.Just my thoughts on this kind of mill which is a great idea.Would save on oil and gas.:clap: I've thought of building one myself.As i prefer csm over bandmills. Mark

Now that's what I'm talking about. Cheap, long lasting, rebuildable.....

Don't get me wrong, I like chainsaw power heads, just not paying for them.

I like the idea of a 4 stroke mill.Would be alot cheaper for sure.Also would have more power.:clap: Mark

I think the output on my engine is in theorder of 2000 to 3000 RPM's. Does anybody know what a chainsaw runs at?

great idea for using cheap lawnmower motors.

riding lawn mowers with dead rear ends are plentiful on craigslist.
it's not unusual to find 16hp motors still in good condition for $75. they are all vertical shafts.

Get a 10HP motor, gear it up to run the chain at about 12,000 rpm's. I can't wait to try it out!!

I am such a cheapo.

How did you attach the harvester sprocket?
Use a 1" keyed shaft and hone the sprocket id with a dremel with a sandpaper roll. Then put a shaft collar on each side of the key so the sprocket can float.

I built one like this with a 10hp Tecumseh 3 years ago. I never really got it working well - the carriage always started swaying and it would throw the chain. For one, I built the carriage too high and not nearly beefy enough. I definitely didn't consider it slow by any means though and it was unstoppable even with heavy .404 chain (until it threw the chain, anyway). I think I may give it another shot this summer though, as my welding and fabricating skills have gotten MUCH better since then. The welder I built it with was just a 150 amp Ford alternator belted to the same 10hp engine. It worked OK but I have a proper welder now. I wouldn't mind seeing a closer view of that jackshaft system on the one posted above though, as mine really could be improved upon. Does the whole powerhead raise and lower, or does the sprocket float on the jackshaft and just the bar moves?

I built one like this with a 10hp Tecumseh 3 years ago. I never really got it working well - the carriage always started swaying and it would throw the chain. For one, I built the carriage too high and not nearly beefy enough. I definitely didn't consider it slow by any means though and it was unstoppable even with heavy .404 chain (until it threw the chain, anyway). I think I may give it another shot this summer though, as my welding and fabricating skills have gotten MUCH better since then. The welder I built it with was just a 150 amp Ford alternator belted to the same 10hp engine. It worked OK but I have a proper welder now. I wouldn't mind seeing a closer view of that jackshaft system on the one posted above though, as mine really could be improved upon. Does the whole powerhead raise and lower, or does the sprocket float on the jackshaft and just the bar moves?
I'm not trying to derail this, but can you just expand slightly on the welder? You just clipped one terminal onto earth and the other with an electrode (welding rod) and started weling? I've never heard of a DIY welder, was it much more complex than this?

ingenuity - Have'nt heard of that one - ya must be on the land :clap:

I'm not trying to derail this, but can you just expand slightly on the welder? You just clipped one terminal onto earth and the other with an electrode (welding rod) and started weling? I've never heard of a DIY welder, was it much more complex than this?

make a wish Harry - that one gets a monkey look from me too

That is a great idea to let it float like that. I welded mine to a sleeve, which put alot of pressure on me to make sure everything was centered to the shaft and bar.

Some more pictures would be nice!!!

Back