4-Stroke String Trimmer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had the privilege of running my Dad's new 4-stroke string trimmer. I was surprised at how quiet it was. I was also impressed by the power and its ability to hold high rpm. I was amazing to listen to the little 4-stroke engine idle, you could barely hear the thing purring. I think that if I buy a new string trimmer it will be 4-stroke. Has anyone on the forum ran on of these? What were opinions?

Last edited:
I do not know what kind your Father has but I have a Cub Cadet/MTD I bought a few years back. I have had zero problems with it and am pleased with it's performance.
I know it is a cheap one, but so far so good.

I do not know what kind your Father has but I have a Cub Cadet/MTD I bought a few years back. I have had zero problems with it and am pleased with it's performance.
I know it is a cheap one, but so far so good.

I think that my dad's is a Craftsman.

I've heard not good things - but...

One of the better dealers out my way said he won't work on them because they've had nothing but trouble with them. Not a curmudgeon. Big family business; they offer many brands and are very helpful & active in the community.
Dealership has been around 7 or 8 decades
Super nice folks. I wish I could tell you more first hand.
-br

Honda.

They've made them for a long time, we've had ours for four or five years now and I'm impressed, and I came from running the big commercial Stihls.

A lot are sold here for commercial use, eg. Council Parks departments.

One of the better dealers out my way said he won't work on them because they've had nothing but trouble with them. Not a curmudgeon. Big family business; they offer many brands and are very helpful & active in the community.
Dealership has been around 7 or 8 decades
Super nice folks. I wish I could tell you more first hand.
-br

What brand are talking about for one? I've been working for a Honda dealership for the previos 5 years and there trimmers are great, but I choose to buy the stilh 4-mix fs90r as there clutches handle commerical use alot better and it is fantastic, I honestly couldn't recommend it enough. In my area witch is mostly farming about 85% of our commerical contrator lawncare people use 4 stroke trimmer (brush cutters) if 4 stroke trimmer where that bad why would the majority of contractor that use them.

I've used good two strokes for years, (Stihl 80's 74's) and my son bought a new Stihl four stroke (90) and it is amazing, even though it dosen't sound like it turns the rpm's, it is really cranking, the torque is amazing, it is quieter and starts easily. If I ever have to buy a new trimmer it will be a four mix, if they'll stand up to my son's use, they have to be good. I think the key is buying the best one you can afford and staying away from the opening price points.

My BIL uses Redmax 4 strokes for his mowing business. They have been trouble free for several years. I have a Stihl kombi unit. I had to replace a valve in it but other than that I have been very happy with it.

Any of the 4-mix Stihl trimmers are sweet! Quiet, clean, and very powerful. I got a FS100RX and would not trade it for any other trimmer. Looking to get another soon to run a blade, might go for a 250 bike handle.:chainsaw:

Any of the 4-mix Stihl trimmers are sweet! Quiet, clean, and very powerful. I got a FS100RX and would not trade it for any other trimmer. Looking to get another soon to run a blade, might go for a 250 bike handle.:chainsaw:

Powerful!!!!1
You are kidding?
A FS250 is the minimum strimmer that should be sold!

String Trimmer= Strimmer= Brushcutter
Guys if i can convert to calling a exhaust a muffler shorten the darn name to strimmer! Just once lol

Last edited:
Powerful!!!!1
You are kidding?
A FS250 is the minimum strimmer that should be sold!

String Trimmer= Strimmer= Brushcutter
Guys if i can convert to calling a exhaust a muffler shorten the darn name to strimmer! Just once lol

The 100RX is a perfect balance in weight and power imo for common trimming. Nope it's not going to mow hay or rip saplings up but for the weight it's impressive. I got a JD with a 4ft bush hog for the tuff stuff.:D

The 100RX is a perfect balance in weight and power imo for common trimming. Nope it's not going to mow hay or rip saplings up but for the weight it's impressive. I got a JD with a 4ft bush hog for the tuff stuff.:D

LOL we have a 120 HP tractor with a 2.5M flail mower for the rough stuff!
And Roundup when the going gets really tough:)

I will admit that a FS450 aint the easiest thing to do edges with:greenchainsaw:

plastic camshaft.

Yep. And if its a Briggs, make that no-replacement-part-available-plastic camshaft! I just looked at one for a friend. The cam and gear that drives it are both plastic and his was chewed so the valve timing was off. The IPL from Briggs didn't even show the cam nor the drive gear as an available item! I'd never even consider one without being able to get parts for repair.

Dan

What brand are talking about for one? I've been working for a Honda dealership for the previos 5 years and there trimmers are great, but I choose to buy the stilh 4-mix fs90r as there clutches handle commerical use alot better and it is fantastic, I honestly couldn't recommend it enough. In my area witch is mostly farming about 85% of our commerical contrator lawncare people use 4 stroke trimmer (brush cutters) if 4 stroke trimmer where that bad why would the majority of contractor that use them.

It was a briggs in question. The dealer could see the guy was in a bind; so he asked the man if he had it with him. When he replied "yes" the dealer said "Alright I'll see if my head mechanic can look at it."

Like I said, good folks. But he's also honest about what he encounters.
I would agree that they were discussing a particular manufacturer; not necessarily all 4 stroke trimmer engines.

Plastic camshaft? Good grief.
-br

I am sure that Stihl and Honda both make a quality 4-stroke unit that is built to last. I've used one of the Stihls, I liked the brute power it had, my only gripe was the weight, after trimming inside and around an entire stadium, I was tired! It did throw that .105 line through anything I wanted to cut down, which is always cool.

Unfortunately, there are way, way more cheap box store units out there, sold under Troybilt, MTD, Cub Cadet, blah, blah blah, that are marketed to busy or inexperienced suburban homeowners that don't want the hassle of mixing and storing fuel for one piece of equipment, it is really a shame that they are duped by the abysmal quality and the way they are marketed to be " the greatest thing to trim your yard". The infamous plastic camshaft is a perfect example, what can anyone do to keep that from wearing out? Nothing, it is an intentional weak link in the design meant to keep the consumer coming back for a new one. I can almost guarantee those camshafts fail within a year of the warranty going out, all I can hope for is for every cheap 4-smoker to crap out there is a smart homeowner who goes to their local OPE dealer and buys a quality machine.

Is that on a 4-mix, or another brand?

I like my FS90R, but it is stihl new, so no issues yet. Great with the 24 tooth blade you sharpen with a chainsaw file. Skilsaw on a stick! :clap:

I agree the only peice of Sthil equipment I have is a four mix KM130R Kombi unit. After having a series of cheap crap trimmers that worked OK when new but after 2-3yrs would start to act up. I just couldn't stand it anymore. As I looked around for what was available and what was going to be a long lasting unit I bit the bullet and spent the big bucks. Over the years I 've let my cheap self purchase just what would get the job done. I haven't purchased any attachments for it yet but I want to get the pruning saw and extension shaft and also the cultivator. The thing starts right up and is quite powerful.
It's an awesome trimmer and handles just about anything I tried to do with it so far. The above mentioned 24 tooth saw-on-a-stick is great as well as the three pointed blade for light brush and heavy grass. As always I believe you get just about what you pay for. I paid much more than I usually would but am much happier than I usually am!!!

Ive got a 25cc Honda trimmer. Its a nice trimmer with good power, sips fuel and starts easily; but its heavy.
It is pretty quiet at idle, but once you wind it up its just as loud as any 2-stroke trimmer.
I personally wouldnt own another 4-stroke trimmer for the simple reason of the weight. 2-stroke trimmers are a lot lighter and less tiring to use, not to mention less expensive.
My Honda cost me $350 and for that amount of money you could get a pro trimmer from Echo or Stihl.
FYI, for those of you looking at a Husky 4-stroke trimmer: the engines are made by Honda. Great engines (I love Honda small engines), I just find it amusing that Husky is supposedly such a great company yet Honda makes their engines for the 4-stroke trimmers. :)

Ive got a 25cc Honda trimmer. Its a nice trimmer with good power, sips fuel and starts easily; but its heavy.
It is pretty quiet at idle, but once you wind it up its just as loud as any 2-stroke trimmer.
I personally wouldnt own another 4-stroke trimmer for the simple reason of the weight. 2-stroke trimmers are a lot lighter and less tiring to use, not to mention less expensive.
My Honda cost me $350 and for that amount of money you could get a pro trimmer from Echo or Stihl.
FYI, for those of you looking at a Husky 4-stroke trimmer: the engines are made by Honda. Great engines (I love Honda small engines), I just find it amusing that Husky is supposedly such a great company yet Honda makes their engines for the 4-stroke trimmers. :)

If this is your trimmer and the specs are right, it's 13lbs. http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...=P2TB&modelname=HHT25SLTAT&modelid=HHT25SLTAT

My 100RX(4-mix) is 10.4lbs. I just used it for 4 hours around the FD and hunting club, the power that trimmer puts out is amazing. My arms and body feel great.:D Unless I decide to get a 250 bike handle, I will never go back to a 2 stroke trimmer. These 4 mix trimmers are the sheet!

Back