40:1, 50:1 does it matter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread was old........:buttkick:

Well since it's been dredged up: I found this can the other day in the ditch near the head of my driveway. It still has the factory seal on it so I'm thinking the label is correct. Should I make saw gas out of this?

10-02-09008.jpg

For about one week now I have been running 80:1-100:1 ratio of Amsoil Saber in my 260, 361, 441 and a 660 and 084. All have been ported and muffler modded and all seem to run just fine. The 260, 361 and 441 have eaten the most of this ratio and no problems.

For gas I use AV 100 Low Lead.

I have been somewhat scared to run this 100:1 ratio oil, but at 50:1 the Amsoil has so much oil coating the piston, you could see that half of that amount would still be plenty.

We'll see if the saws last over a month, LOL.

Sam

Here is my take on this subject,my experiance comes from 2 stroke motorcycles,the ski-doo shop/chainsaw dealer where i have worked for the last 7 years as a Stihl tech.

- just keep doing whatever it is you are doing if it is working for you. I like 50:1.

- pick your oil and stick with it!! (see more sleds go down from what seems like switching oil at every different place they ride)

-a 2 stroke running 32:1 or 40:1 that is improperly tuned will make lots of carbon! 50:1 will make carbon too but not as badly.

-to me 91 octane is the minimum I run in my saws. The higher the rating the less chance there is ethanol in the blend. Leaded fuel Rocks, thats why the old saws lasted so long.

Last edited:
For about one week now I have been running 80:1-100:1 ratio of Amsoil Saber in my 260, 361, 441 and a 660 and 084. All have been ported and muffler modded and all seem to run just fine. The 260, 361 and 441 have eaten the most of this ratio and no problems.

For gas I use AV 100 Low Lead.

I have been somewhat scared to run this 100:1 ratio oil, but at 50:1 the Amsoil has so much oil coating the piston, you could see that half of that amount would still be plenty.

We'll see if the saws last over a month, LOL.

Sam

Don't worry your safe. I had the same fears when I started running it and even went 50:1 which was way to rich for my saws. I use 4oz at 2 gallons which is about 75 or 80:1. Just got done takin down over 200 ash trees, victims of the ash borer in 90 deg heat and not once did a saw fail. The only time they got a break was for refueling and we ran about 25 gallons through them so I think that was a pretty good test. This was a job where we dropped em topped em and what didn't go to the mill was made into firewood so we used every saw you can think of from 192's 200's up to 660's for stumping including 372's and 441's and they never missed a beat. I'm confident in amsoil to say the least now.

Well since it's been dredged up: I found this can the other day in the ditch near the head of my driveway. It still has the factory seal on it so I'm thinking the label is correct. Should I make saw gas out of this?

10-02-09008.jpg

how did you know i deal with vp? you could but it is leaded your best bet is the 100 octane unleaded

Husky/Stihl,

I agree with the Amsoil. I run 50:1 for a few tanks on break-in then bring it up to your 4 ounces to 2 gallons which is 64:1, not 75-80:1. I also use Marine fuel 89 octane, no ethanol and add sta-bil even though non-ethanol fuel stores way longer than pump gas.

At 64:1 with Amsoil if I get a splash over in fuel to the can it still has a wide safety margin not to be on the edge like 80-100:1 is. Or if too much oil remains in the mixing cup.

Use the tach and the screwdriver to make it perfect! Over time one's ear can hit rpms within 200-300 to factory settings and fourstroking with practice.

No matter what Synthetic Oil anyone uses, it is superb stuff.

you guys are all WRONG, my homelite C-51 says right on the fuel cap to run16:1 SAE 30w motor oil. I run that in all my says and the run..ish

Hell.
Just a few thoughts here. If your saw smokes, carbons up, slobbers or burns up your carb is probably not adjusted. I've run leaf blower on oil silly oil ratios and never had a problem with carbon or fouled plugs or smoke. I normally run Bel-Ray cause that's what I already have mixed up for the dirt bike. Per Bel-Ray MC1 cannot be mixed heavier than 50:1 or it will gum the rings up. I believe than Bel-Ray suggest it can be mixed between 50 and 80:1. I mix as heavy as it allows. The mix ratio you use depends on the oil used, not what the manufacture said. That only applies to their oil. If the oil allows to mix heavier than 50:1 I would. Adjust the carb for the mix and days cutting conditions and you'll be good to go. My go-to saw is a PP295. I have to have well over 100Hrs on it cutting fire wood. Still on the factory plug. I have some TC rated scooter oil I'm trying to get rid of and I've been mixing heavy just to burn it off. No smoke. No fouled plug. Clean muffler. I think it is a false economy to skimp on oil. Follow the oil's recommendations or mix heavier than 50:1 and you would have any problems. Just run some oil!!

Bullittman

Stihl no answer to my question...:confused:

Nothing. 40:1, 50:1, whatever floats your boat. Just contact Gary on what oil to use, he's the resident oil expert. Ask him about bar oil too.

BTW, I've got to call the guy I got the 261 from and ask him what bar oil he was using, this stuff will make 6" strings, it's insane

Old Saw,

When you find out what bar oil that is let us know! I haven't seen that kind of results in years. Thanks.

Hell.
I normally run Bel-Ray cause that's what I already have mixed up for the dirt bike. Per Bel-Ray MC1 cannot be mixed heavier than 50:1 or it will gum the rings up. I believe than Bel-Ray suggest it can be mixed between 50 and 80:1. I mix as heavy as it allows. The mix ratio you use depends on the oil used, not what the manufacture said. That only applies to their oil. If the oil allows to mix heavier than 50:1 I would. Bullittman

MC1 was their early product release for motorcycles way back in the pre-historic days. H1R is a later generation product & can be mixed at heavier ratio's. I use it at 32:1 and all my stuff runs clean. RM250, KTM 420 (1979 Oldiie), Husqvarna 430XC and all my saws (listed below) & trimmers.

somebody get Erick, we were able to look at a saw that had been run on amsoil at 100:1 and there was no damage. not sure who owned the 441 though

My Stihl dealer told me their chainsaws will overheat with 40:1. No kidding!

The books are in the shop, but either Dolmar or Stihl says use 50:1.

BUT if you use another brand of oil, use 40:1.

Figure that one out.

I started off with a Sachs Dolmar112 and run 25:1 for years, which was recommended for that saw.

Anyway it's kind of hard for me to run 50:1 even though I do most of the time.

Sometimes I revert though, and run 40:1 and crank out the H screw a tad.

Works good too, if there are any gnats around they leave.:cheers:

My Stihl dealer told me their chainsaws will overheat with 40:1. No kidding!

If the saw is tuned for 50:1 and is run on 40:1 that will lean it out a tad, but enough to over heat, I'm not sure that is right.

To compensate for the 40:1 richen up the carb a tad.

If that is not right, someone set me straight.

Latest posts

Back