4012 kubota

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Went grinding today with the new Carlton. It worked really good! I did a bunch of pine stumps and with the sandvic wheel it seemed like he mulch piles were much more manageable and did not throw chips all over the place. As far as having 1-machine this is as close as your going to get. However it's hard to beat the big power and chip containment of a pull behind. For the money I would say this is the best machine out there. If you buy a 4012 make sure to get the kubota, 4x4 and sandvik wheel. I did get the blade and it works great too. I demo a Bandit 3800 (2005 model) and it worked ok the wireless work great. The swing speed was slow. I believe the 4012 would beat the 3800.

The thing I like about the 4012 is that you can adjust the swing speed. On rotten stumps i set it pretty fast and grinding goes real quick. Glas you're pleased with the 4012, i sure am.

Hi BTW
Thanks for the update. Did you get the manual controls? How's the visibility with the Kubota and radiator, manageable? Was wondering how it would be in tight spots, getting next to sidewalks and such. I'm running a 252 now, so looking for comparisons from those that have the Kubota. Sounds like a great machine. Did your dealer give you any price break off the MSRP?
Thanks,
Stumper63

hey stumper, i have it with 4 wheel, kabota,and sandvick wheel. Its a fast machine, when in travel you can do a slow jog, and cutter wheel swing, good power.
One thing i noticed with the sandvick wheel vs the wheel with green teeth is i think that the green teeth would actually cut faster but it throws chips, that sandvick hardly has any clean up at all the chips are only about 1- 2 feet away, i mean there is not a single chip any further away from the hole and they are fine chips.
The other teeth through chips pretty far some times 10-15'+.
My dealer gets the 4012 on a Rayco trailer it fits perfectly. 2 2' chains hold it down at the rear wheels and they welded a trailer pin at the front so it hooks up like my old rayco 1625. it works really nice.

Today i used the 4012 to move my old rayco on the trailer (pinlel hitch) to the back of my yard it had lots of power , when it got to some soft hilly area i just switch it to low gear and it pushed and pulled it with ease. I bet it could pull some logs out of a back yard if you need to since the rayco weighs 1800# with trailer.
The machine is great.

Lawmart

Play safe

4012 manual controls

Yes, I bought the machine with the manual controls. The dealer did not have any on hand with the wireless. I did ask about wireless and the dealer told me that do to the large cost (3,800) no ones been ordering it, but he said he would order me one if I wanted. The visibility is not to bad even with the radiator. However the wireless would be sweet. I use to have a 252 and it was a great machine did not have any problems and may have a slight advantage for getting into tight areas and grinding close to sidewalks (unless you get the wireless option then the 4012 would be better). However once you run a 4012 you will never want to run a portable with less power and can still get into the tight areas. I bought the machine at Alexander equipment located in Illinois. Great people to do business with. 23,500 options = 4x4,blade,sandvic wheel and of course the 33horse turbo kubota. Duel tires are standard, and isn't that enough personally I think there getting to expensive. I mean you can buy a full size truck with a diesel motor in it less then what some of the stumpers are going for. Whats the deal?

duel wheels

Stumper

I have not notice any additional lawn damage compared to my old 252. As far as the duel wheels go you only have to remove 1-bolt to get the tire off and i have been putting back on at least 1-tire (radiator side). The 252 was light enough to man handle if it didn't quit make it up the chip pile you could push it, if it started tipping you could catch it. The carlton will not be so forgiving and since its brand new I am being very careful and i am taking my time. Having said that I would never go back to a machine with less power.

Cracked 100 hours already:D :D Everything is still good! Just getting into the heart of the season!

100 hours

Bigstumps

Glad to hear your grinder is working great! It really is a nice machine. I have about 50 hours on mine and no problems. How much are you selling your 672 for and can you send some pictures and details.

BTW,

You are catching me fast in the hour department. I didn't think you had yours that long.

I am thinking of selling the 672 but probably not till next year. I think it should bring $10,500 or so when it is time (I hope it will anyway.) I'm a little afraid of selling it to anyone on this board, not that I know of any problems but I just don't want to get flamed 6 months after the sale when it needs a new tooth!!! Want to replace it with a either a 7015 or a track. I plan on letting this little 4012 pay for itself 1st and maybe make me a good part of the difference of upgrading the 672.

Have you changed many teeth at 50 hours?? The Sandvik is great here in the sand soil.

I'm at 35 hrs. now doing 80 +-stumps, great machine ,had to tighten the belt twice cutting wheel started to squeal.
One thing that i do miss from the rayco is the electric clutch, it was nice to be able to engage and disengage the machine with a flip of the switch, when you needed to move the machine over with the cutting wheel.
there is a learning curve with the controls i keep on stalling the machine advance it forward instead of swiping the head.

but a great machine

play safe

Hi Lawmart,
What do you mean by "I keep on stalling the machine, advance it forward instead of swiping the head?" What exactly are you doing to stall the machine? Maybe I'm a little thick in the head, but humor me.
Thanks,
Stumper63

hours

Bigstumps

Sorry, I should have said about 40 (37.2). So far everything is working great. I had to replace 2-teeth do to a nice rocky area that I was in (it sucked). Otherwise I have been able to rotate them. I live in a sandy part of MN which is good except for the sand burs. I have also tightened the belt a couple of times. What do you think about the 7015. A little concerned about traction I heard that it can't make it over the grindings (sometimes). I wish they made it in 4x4. I had a 672 diesel and it ran great the only problem I had was the engagement arm weld broke (just needed some extra support). Anytime you buy used your taking a chance and you can tell if a machine has been taken care of. Yes wireless would be nice! but when you spend so much it's hard to fork out that last $3800.

Hi Lawmart,
What do you mean by "I keep on stalling the machine, advance it forward instead of swiping the head?" What exactly are you doing to stall the machine? Maybe I'm a little thick in the head, but humor me.
Thanks,
Stumper63

The controls are laid out a different than a Rayco, forward and reverse are different directions, when you 1st make the change it is easy to do the wrong function - hard to reprogram an old brain. When you make this mistake it can cause you to take a quick huge bite, and stall the engine.

yeah what big stumps said, the controls are laid out differently, When I'm on the carlton i want to lift the cutter head, but i keep on advancing the machine into the stump.
It really getting annoying.
When you have used the rayco for 7 years, you no the controls with out looking at them its an extension of your mind,you don't even think of what you have to do you just react. You stump by feel and sound, the load of the machine and when in dirt or in the stump it self.
Its just going to take some time to get used to the controls and the sound of the machine.

Lawmart
playsafe

Back