435 oil leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axolotl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a Husqvarna 435 in November. I used it a few times, but it hasn't been touched since December. When I went to get it today it was sitting in a huge pool of bar and chain oil (and so were my string trimmer and leaf blower). Is that normal? My cheap old Poulan used to do the same thing, but it was about as cheap as they come. I was under the impression that since the 435 it has an actual oil pump it wouldn't leak like that. Was I mistaken?

Nothing wrong with your saw. Temp changes can cause pressure in the
oil tank, this can force oil out the oil port.

Leaky Husqy

I was searching ,looking for info on my 435 that leaks .
I brought it in for service under warranty.
They said a hose was lose and they fixed it,not true.
Still leaks
It's not from pressure as all of the oil will end up on my bench and floor of my shed.
I've taken it apart as far as I could and found nothing wrong.
This is really pissing me off.
I had a cheap Poulan and never had this problem.

Bought the Husqy because of there reputation, wish I hadn't.It ran like crap and leaked.Paid $35 for a tune up on a new saw(just wrong) to get it running right and now my shed is covered in bar oil.

Anyone have a fix for this,I don't want to have to empty the oil out after each use.

Hate this saw,nothing but problems

If the oiler on your saw is like my 450, then you can expect that the oiler will always leak. The oiler is not a positive displacement oiler with 'O' rings.

From my inspections, the shaft of the oil pump does not have an 'O' ring on it and it is designed to leak oil back past the shaft and onto the worm gear. The drive gear wipes the oil back onto the drive gear. It is a simple and postive way to ensure that the drive gears of the oil pump are always lubricated.

You can drain the oil from the tank before longterm storage, or, for short term storage you can lay the saw on the starter side so that the oiler does not 'seep'.

This post was done under the influence of approximately 200cc of homemade vodka and if it doesn't make sense I will attempt to clarify it tomorrow.

Still leaks
It's not from pressure as all of the oil will end up on my bench and floor of my shed.

Bought the Husqy because of there reputation, wish I hadn't.It ran like crap and leaked.Paid $35 for a tune up on a new saw(just wrong) to get it running right and now my shed is covered in bar oil.

Anyone have a fix for this,I don't want to have to empty the oil out after each use.

Get a different saw, man! Life's too short to have a saw ya hate.:msp_thumbup:

My 435 still leaks, as did my previous Poulan. Are you telling me that there are saws out there that don't? Saws that you can leave sitting for a month or two and they don't end up in a lake of bar oil? Any particular model in the 16"/$250 range that I might want to consider?

On a separate note, maybe someone can help me understand the oiler a little better. Sometimes my chain runs dry and burns, even when there's oil in the tank. Someone told me that this is because the oil pump only runs AS the throttle trigger is pulled, and that you have to rev it up and down frequently to keep the oil pumping. When it's running at full throttle there is no oil being pumped because the throttle trigger isn't moving. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Still leaks

Let me guess, you bought it at Lowe's or Sears and then took it to a dealer for repair. You shouldn't be too surprised to have to pay for a tune up. I am guessing that your saw started leaking oil all over the place as the temperature warmed up. Only pressure or a loose cap will drain an oil tank completely.

My 435 still leaks, as did my previous Poulan. Are you telling me that there are saws out there that don't? Saws that you can leave sitting for a month or two and they don't end up in a lake of bar oil? Any particular model in the 16"/$250 range that I might want to consider?

On a separate note, maybe someone can help me understand the oiler a little better. Sometimes my chain runs dry and burns, even when there's oil in the tank. Someone told me that this is because the oil pump only runs AS the throttle trigger is pulled, and that you have to rev it up and down frequently to keep the oil pumping. When it's running at full throttle there is no oil being pumped because the throttle trigger isn't moving. Is this correct?

Any saw will leak oil, not just the Husky's or the model you have. All oilers are set up differently, but the 435 doesn't pump oil unless the chain is moving, regardless of trigger movement. You might check the oiler hole in your bar to make sure that it isn't plugged. If that doesn't work, try rinsing your oil tank out with some gasoline. Swish it around and dump it out. Sometimes wood chips or bark get knocked into the tank when you fill it up and those might block up some passages.

Good luck! The 435 is about the nicest little saw you can buy.

:cheers:

I can honestly say my Shindaiwa's leak very, very oil if any at all. I store them on oil absorbent pads and it would show up if they were leaking. I'm not trying to step on toes here but just passing on the info that some saws don't leak.

I can honestly say my Shindaiwa's leak very, very oil if any at all. I store them on oil absorbent pads and it would show up if they were leaking. I'm not trying to step on toes here but just passing on the info that some saws don't leak.

90% of my saws don't leak a drop, but others leak like a sieve with a few in between. It is all how you store them and how they were built. Oilers are built differently among saw brands and even saws from the same company. Some saws leak if they have a full oil tank, others leak if they were not vented properly. There are many causes for oil to leak, and to say that a saw will not leak is asking for trouble. ;)

If the oiler on your saw is like my 450, then you can expect that the oiler will always leak. The oiler is not a positive displacement oiler with 'O' rings.

From my inspections, the shaft of the oil pump does not have an 'O' ring on it and it is designed to leak oil back past the shaft and onto the worm gear. The drive gear wipes the oil back onto the drive gear. It is a simple and postive way to ensure that the drive gears of the oil pump are always lubricated.

You can drain the oil from the tank before longterm storage, or, for short term storage you can lay the saw on the starter side so that the oiler does not 'seep'.

This post was done under the influence of approximately 200cc of homemade vodka and if it doesn't make sense I will attempt to clarify it tomorrow.

Thank you for addressing the ? asked.
I've stored it on every side and have removed the cap as well.Leak Not from pressure.
I took it apart at the beginning of last season trying to find the problem.
Is the oil compartment comprised of the housing coming together,2 halves coming together with a gasket or seal.

I've had 2 saws in the past that would not leak,even if stored all summer.Temp. changes and all.

I can't afford to buy a NEW SAW

Any positive help is appreciated

I have three Huskys, they have all leaked a little oil at some point,but leak no oil most of the time.

If I had one that leaked excessively and I could not fix it, I'd empty
the oil before I put the saw up.

My 435 leaked a little oil after the first time I filled the tank. After running it a few times, it doesn't leak much if any now. My Stihl 361 has leaked a tiny bit since it was new as well. It could be just residual oil left over from the last time it was ran.

I guess I'll empty it each time I use it.
This isn't a small leak,after a week the tank is empty and the saw is sitting in a puddle of oil.

I hope the EPA doesn't come and look at my shed,what a mess.

If Husqvarna is selling inferior products to the chain stores there rep. is going to tumble.
The saw came out of the sealed box with a Lowes sticker on it.

I'll never buy a Husqvarna again

I guess I'll empty it each time I use it.
This isn't a small leak,after a week the tank is empty and the saw is sitting in a puddle of oil.

I hope the EPA doesn't come and look at my shed,what a mess.

If Husqvarna is selling inferior products to the chain stores there rep. is going to tumble.
The saw came out of the sealed box with a Lowes sticker on it.

I'll never buy a Husqvarna again

Mine did this a few times while sitting in the back of the pick up but has never done it again. My tank was completely empty as you say. Maybe yours will repair itself as mine did.

The saw has gone to the other extreme
Now it has stopped oiling
I've taken it apart several times,inspected all the parts and cleaned out the chain oil compartment with carb. cleaner.

Can it be vapor locked?
Is there a vent that could be clogged?

I bought a carb. adjustment tool and I got it running much better.

I'm still hoping I can get this saw working well

Thanks

Found the leak
Took off the clutch and oiler cover for the upteenth time.
Pressurized the oil compartment with my air compressor and there it was,Blowing oil out the bottom of the saw.
Took it apart and found the oil strainer leaking bad.
Pulled it out ,no O-ring just crappy molded plastic.
I didn't have time to silicone it in,but I think this might also be why it stopped oiling (sucking air)

So much for all those who told me they don't leak :bang:

Back