44 McCullochs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, 44 series anyway.

Here's the line up: D-44 (72cc) Super 44, Super 44 (80cc), and Super 44a (87cc). Three of the four are runners right now, but I am sure the second Super 44 will be just fine when I get some time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Non-runner is the one with the muffler mod.

attachment.php

Mark

Nice saws.

I just picked up a McCullochs Super 44 chainsaw yesterday. I am kind of a chainsaw newbie. (Haha) I was looking to buy a chainsaw for quite some time, but every time I looked at one in a store I was sort of disappointed. They didn't look like the chainsaw my grandfather used. They looked like leaf blowers. Anyway, kicking around through want ads I found this one, that runs, and at a fairly good price. I did get it to run yesterday after a lot of tries. I was wondering if you had any tips of tricks for starting, maintaining, or generally using this chainsaw. Cheers. :cheers:

McCulloch 44's

Start with the carburetor, all of mine have the Tillotson HL series and kits are low cost and easy to install. While you're at it replace the fuel line.

Other than that, I had one with a bad spark plug wire. The theory is that the old wire can be "unscrewed" from the coil and a new wire installed but I could not get the old one out so I replaced the whole thing with one I had picked up a while before.

You can remove the points and give them a good cleaning, I like to use 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to really make them shine, removing all pits, etc. The condensor can be checked with a meter pretty easily.

I would expect that if the spark is strong and reliable, the carburetor kit would take care of it for you.

Mark

Hey Mark, you only have (1) D44 in your sig. Get with the times...... Just kidding. Great looking bunch, as usual.

Nice bunch Mark. Those super 44A's are real hotrods that not a lot of people know about. They have almost as much power per cc as a 660 stihl (mac 87cc 6.5hp 13.38cc per hp, stihl 91.6cc 7hp 13.08cc per hp). Have fun with them.

Nice saws. cont'

Still playing with my 44. :greenchainsaw: Hoping to open it up this weekend and poke around. I think the clutch has a problem. When it idles it makes a ping noise and drives the chain forward a bit here and there. Eventually it stalls. (It also pings and tries to take my arm off when starting it every now and again.)

Back