440 mag max rpm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer 87

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Im gonna wait untill my tach comes in the just see how fast it turns where i had it. Then go from there, should i change my max rpm based on having worked over the muffler?

Boomer 87

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Until you developed an ear for proper tuning, I'd stick with 13,000-13,500.

I have no qualms about ear tuning my old saws, but i admit i have a hard time with the ones like the 440 that spin that fast. How long is it safe to run a saw WOT unloaded when setting hi side? 1-2 seconds?

blsnelling
That depends on the saw, lol!

i-bT4Ggtd-L.jpg

i-ztHrBZk-L.jpg

Boomer 87

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
I watched the video of the 440, i could definately hear it going in and out if 4 stroking during the first cut. However i myself would of just went a smidge leaner untill it quit going in and out if 4 stroking. I heard you go way lean then come back some. So i guess last question is if the saw has any 4 stroking at WOT at all,will it be enough fuel no matter the load.

Boomer 87

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
I spent some more time with it after work today i think im closer than what i thought. I started way heavy and slowly kept comong up in rpm untill the four stroking went away under load then gave it a couple short WOT pulls, i beleive its pretty close to 13k. What i thpught was 4 stroking was actually just the exhaust note through the open front cover. I will still sideline it untill i have my tach just for assurance reasons. Afterall i got 60 other saws i can use lol

Boomer 87

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
One other thing i noticed while tuning the 440, i turned the high side needle in until lightly seated. And pinned the throttle and it didnt bog or die it actually wound up. Is there a hi side governor or do i have an issue. I would of thought it would of bogged and died. Right now it likes about 1.5 turns out

Boomer 87

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was having a hard time getting it in tune so i seated the needle at went to start over, i hit the throttle expecting it to die, so i knew it wasnt pulling fuel from somewhere else, but it reacted other than what i thought, so it may be pulling fuel from elsewhere.

Latest posts