440 parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbh31118

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know everyone is going to groan at this one but I'm looking for a carb kit for my Mac 440. Ya, it's anciant but it's fun to play with, any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks again everyone!

I can tell ya if it said walbro I wouldn' t be having this converstion right now. :greenchainsaw: hahaha

No I can't say for sure, I'm not really saw savy so to speak, is there any way to tell? If I had to guess I would say it's one of there 'pressure pulse' carbs, I think I read that on a pdf at someones web site. The thing runs great but you have to inject fuel in the the carb because the primer doesn't work. Once she's warmed up you can go to town and never look back, even ideals well but only once it's been hot. It's got a ton of power if you could get the carb to prime.

the problem is that your carb is a Mac designed unit, unlike the ones from Tillotson that were put on similar saws of that era.

Swap the Mac carb out for the equivalent Tilly. Put the Mac carb on the shelf to hold important papers down. I have many Mac carbs and only a few that still work well. I have never found a source for kits that was reasonable. They last guy wanted $50.00 per kit.:dizzy: I bought 10 used Tilly carbs instead.:) If your carb is a primer than swap that rod over to the choke on the Tilly. Post a picture and we can tell you which carb to get. I would guess a HL series but not positive. Not sure about 440, never seen one.

Thanks for the info,

I don't have a digital cam yet but I'll find a way to get it on asap. The bad part is the saw runs sweet; if you can get it started.

Lawn Masters; the darn saw was built for approxamently nine months (between 1966 and 1967), give or take. And nobody, and I mean nobody I've ever talked to has ever seen one!! Mc Bob was the only person here that ever mentioned it's existatnce that I've heard of. Seen one on ebay but that's about it. If theres a decent carb swap, I'm in. ahahahaha :hmm3grin2orange:

If you haven't yet found a Tillotson replacement carburetor for your saw, you can purchase the diaphragms and gaskets from Bob's Lawnmower Serive in N.Y. State. He sells them (newly made) for $30.00/set. I purchased the parts from him for my 1-76, and it did the trick. He is great to deal with and a REAL expert on any older McCulloch.

Well, I dug it out and here it is. Bottom of the saw does say 440. Looks to have a Tillotson carby. No muffler, no recoil, missing lower handle, piston scored somewhat, but still has good compression. Has a new or near-new 1/2" pitch sprocket. As far as all the silver paint--let's just say I was aiming for a mouse and hit a can of silver spray paint. (I'm not a very good shot with a hammer.) That was early summer and I'm still cleaning stuff off.

I don't have any need for it so let me know.

Chris B.

BTW, What is that International in your avatar? A 1206? Hard to tell.

I would imagine that a tilly off a 250 or similier would be what your after as the old Mac carby's or BDC style ones are impossible to get kits for or extremely hard to source the engine size is either 80 or 87cc and that the same as most of the engine sizes of that style.

McBob.

Back