440 with an 8 pin is a NO GO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i find that lots of folks use a heavy hand intsead of a sharp chain,though they think they have a sharp chain . but,when compared to someone than can really sharpen a chain thers is quite dull. i see lots of folks at gtg grab my saws and dog them in which is a no go. i keep my chain too aggressive for a heavy hand or an inexperienced cutter.

i guess i should make a few timed cuts. When felling i like to be able to dog in hard and manuver with some pressure. today i was just bucking firewood.

Do you think a heavy handed cut with a 7 pin is much slower than a 8 pin no pressure cut?

I try to be as light handed as I can be. Doggin in is hard on the saw, bar, chain, and everything else. If your chain is right (believe me, mine aint always) then you shouldn't have to push to get it to cut.

naw its not close to broke in fully. its only had 5 tanks through it. that could be part of the problem.

That's probably got a lot to do with it. It usually takes several tanks of fuel before a saw starts to loosen up. Id put the 7 back on it, and tune her fat for the first 10 tanks or so. But then, that's just my opinion.

Hey rope since you like huskys so much do you want to buy this husky sign i have?

huskysign.jpg

aww i will even give it to you.

Well i hand sharpen all my chains the best i can (they are far from perfect aswell). they cut good and pull fat chips.

Everybody on here rants and raves about 8 pin sprockets. I threw an 8 pin of my Muff Modded 440 today with a 20'' b/c and buriied it in some maple.........nope no thanks definately not enough balls. I ran an 8 pin on my 046 in the same 20'' wood and it seemed to pull it ok but i am still very skeptical. I guess i will have to just save the 8 pins for the 660......

anybody else run 8 pins on stock saws?

As I always said, you need to try the options in your own wood to really know what works best - there aren't any general rules, as a lot of factors enter the picture! :msp_wink:

3/8x8 mostly works great on the 372xpg for me with a 20" bar, but in other wood or with another user it may not.....

I also routinely use it on the MS361 with a short bar (15") and the old 56cc Jonsereds 621 really needs it to perform.

Last edited:
Stihls new commercial lol

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vovd78g83pk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No fun allowed on this thread this is serious biz only........ i like that vid rope but i didnt think Stihl made the rubik cubes but now that i know i will have to get me one

8 pin not working with a 440!?

Keep'er sharp. Don't push - let it cut!

Does pushing and pulling the saw like a bowsaw count as pushing?

all jokes aside i will sharpen up the chain and tie 30 helium ballons to the top handle then hold only the throttle handle and see how it cuts.

good to see everyone in good spirits today.

all jokes aside i will sharpen up the chain and tie 30 helium ballons to the top handle then hold only the throttle handle and see how it cuts.

Remember, were talking about a 440 here, and not a 372XP. It should only take 10 baloons.

What the hell is a bow saw?

But yeah jeepz, if you're anything like me dude, you'll want the 7 over the 8. I almost always want the 7 pin on all my 5 cube saws unless I'm running my..... Nope, nevermind - not even gonna say it! ;) :D

Latest posts

Back