460 got a work today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruff4531

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had a tornado roll through Streator, il last night 1 block north of my house. Considerable damage (will post pics tommorow). Spent the past 12 hours running the 460 and 036 in solid oak. It has been a long day but no one in town was seriously hurt, and the power is coming back slowly to differnt areas if town. A more complete update tommorrow. FYI my home didn't get damaged.

Sounded like you guys got walloped last night, we didn't have the winds, but we did end up getting about 3 inches of rain out of it!

I feel ya buddy. Those same storms hit withinin 30 miles of my house killing 7 people. I just got in from volunteering my equipment and cut more wood in a day than I usually do in a month and that was just in a 1/8 mile radius. My hearts go out to all the families touched by this horrific disaster and will take as much time as I can to donate my skills and equipment.

Same storms got us last night, been cutting and pushing wood since about 8AM. I picked up about a cord along the way. I just got power back about 5PM. Last night about 10:30 all hell broke loose, then again about 2:30AM so I'm told. Nobody hurt that I know of, and no real damage here except that I haven't found the center section of my WSM that was sitting on the deck. I drove around and my kid rode a 4-wheeler all around through the fields and tree lines and no luck so far. The local farmers are not getting any crops in the ground with all this rain. I talked to a couple of them today and they are bummed and figure they will be re-planting the low spots in the little they have in so far.
A buddy in Maybe gave me a call and said he had at least 10 trees down on his ground and wanted help and we'll split the wood. He is just east of Dundee which got slammed according to the news reports.

Sounds like Mother Nature was showing her teeth down there last night. It's people like you that make a bad situation better. I sent some rep you guys' way.

I'm 35 miles due west of you. My BIL and next door neighbor had half his mulberry go down last night. The 044 and 310 got a workout today. Netted about 2 5x10 trailers worth of wood.

The other half of the tree is going to have to come down eventually. We decided to let it stand for the summer and take it down in the late fall or early winter, if mother nature doesn't put her hand in first. It had such a heavy lean that the only place it will fall is where it is cut or pushed by wind and there is nothing to hit anyway.

Pics

Pic 255 is a picture of the new ball field North of my house

Pic 240 is of a 4' dia oak tree in my friends living room. We removed in with a crane and a lot of people

Pic 259 is a pic of the yard next to Oakland School, it once had many nice oak trees

Pic 273 is a pic of the sub station that feeds the South end of Streator. Power was restored to my house early last night.

For more damage pics and video got to youtube.com and search Streator, Il. Pic the most resent videos to get an idea. Who ever shot these spent a lot of time walking around yesterday.

I'm 35 miles due west of you. My BIL and next door neighbor had half his mulberry go down last night. The 044 and 310 got a workout today. Netted about 2 5x10 trailers worth of wood.

The other half of the tree is going to have to come down eventually. We decided to let it stand for the summer and take it down in the late fall or early winter, if mother nature doesn't put her hand in first. It had such a heavy lean that the only place it will fall is where it is cut or pushed by wind and there is nothing to hit anyway.

Yeah I was able to get to work today in Hennepin, and it looks like Magnolia got hit pretty good and IL 18 West of IL 89 was closed because of all the down trees. Also my boss told me this morning "Kings house" area got hit pretty good.

Yeah I was able to get to work today in Hennepin, and it looks like Magnolia got hit pretty good and IL 18 West of IL 89 was closed because of all the down trees. Also my boss told me this morning "Kings house" area got hit pretty good.

I'll have to go check out the King's House area. My barber lives over that way. Where do you work in Hennepin?

Surveying

I work for Illinois Valley Surveying. Our office is the old Catholic Church across from the court house.

Good of you guys to lend a hand with the mess.

The pic of the tree in the house is EXACTLY why I cut everything within striking distance of my house and shop. I can't even imagine having to deal with that.

I just got done for the day and have put in about 16 hr days. I havent uplodaed any pics yet but will do so as soon as my secretary gets home [my 12 yr old daughter]. The 1st tornado hit about 5 miles from my sisters and that was an f3, the second hit just outside of toledo was an f4. I've seen some sh%$ in my day but nothing like this, cars crushed like pop cans, homes completely gone and 5 acres of woods with the tops snapped off like twigs. If anyone is interested in seeing the carnage you can go to " 13abc.com" in their pics section. I still look in amazement. The one thing thats blown me away is all the volunteers whether providing food, clothes, water or whatever you could need. Truly brings out the best in everybody and makes me glad to be apart of this great country. My daughter and son loaded up all the clothes and shoes they don't wear and even some they do that they dropped off at the local crisis center last night without even asking. Man their mom must have done somehting right their.

Lots of help

I completely agree, it is amazing the amount of people willing to lend a hand around the area. Driving home last night the amount of cleanup that has been completed is really amazing. I would think by the end of the weekend most of the tree work will be completed with just piles of branches to burn or pick up. Tomorrow I have to cut a couple of trees up but those should be the last trees for me from this storm.

Back