461 break in period ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butzer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
View attachment 267774View attachment 267775View attachment 267776

Thanks for everyone's help in my decision.My new ms461 came in yesterday.I ran just one tank through it so far. WOW what a saw compared to my ms390. I bought it with no bar and just used the 25" I had got for the 390. The 461 doesn't skip a beat with it where the 390 seemed to struggle with that bar. The vibration seems less on the 461 as well.

Just a Few questions for breaking it in. My local dealer is a farm hardware store. They really didn't say to much. It seems all the stores in the area are like that and just happen to sell saws on the side. I was calling around to see if anyone had one in stock before I bought it just to have a feel. One of the places actually told me there was no such saw as the 461. Is This normal for stihl dealerships? anyway back on topic.

-Do I need to run a few tanks with a rich mix? It seemed the fuel that was in the saw was really rich
-I only used about 3/4 throttle for the first tank. Can I go wide open now? I can't wait to bury the bar

Dont change the mixture, do about 3-5 heat cyccles cutting small wood (let it come up to rull operating temperture and let it cool down.

Dont bury it in wood for at least 5 full tanks

Thanks
When i typed my post the other day it didn't come up so I did it again. Now I see there both on here
The other posts I've done came right up so when it didn't appear I figured I pressed a wrong button. Next time ill know to just wait
Sorry for the double

View attachment 267774View attachment 267775View attachment 267776

Thanks for everyone's help in my decision.My new ms461 came in yesterday.I ran just one tank through it so far. WOW what a saw compared to my ms390. I bought it with no bar and just used the 25" I had got for the 390. The 461 doesn't skip a beat with it where the 390 seemed to struggle with that bar. The vibration seems less on the 461 as well.

Just a Few questions for breaking it in. My local dealer is a farm hardware store. They really didn't say to much. It seems all the stores in the area are like that and just happen to sell saws on the side. I was calling around to see if anyone had one in stock before I bought it just to have a feel. One of the places actually told me there was no such saw as the 461. Is This normal for stihl dealerships? anyway back on topic.

-Do I need to run a few tanks with a rich mix? It seemed the fuel that was in the saw was really rich
-I only used about 3/4 throttle for the first tank. Can I go wide open now? I can't wait to bury the bar

Did you look at what the instruction manual said?

Just use it. Avoid full RPM with no load but that's it.

It's actually not advisable to run at less than full throttle however. Your carburetor has a high jet and a low jet but not an intermediate jet...hence should be run at idle and full throttle but running in the middle isn't really helping anything.

Personally I run 40-45:1 usually and stick with it. However plenty of saws break in just fine at 50:1

Too late for heat cycles for you however I've never really heard of them being necessary with chainsaws.

Just use the saw.

Back