47" guide bar sparking then smoking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, even sprocket nose Tsumura bars will throw sparks in certain situations. Naught to worry 'bout if the bar is getting oil (milling you may need an auxiliary oiler) and has no tight/hot spots.

Not that many will want to do this to a pristine new bar but I like to take all that expensive paint off. Helps not only remove heat faster, but hot spots will show up faster, not having to burn/blue their way through the bar paint before you can see 'em if not having already felt them.

I've seen my barrel glow after a magazine load.

You're doing some real shooting :) The soft glow of an M2 barrel is always a sight that warms my heart!

Glad to see 2dogs comments on the bar sparking. Ironically, after reading and replying to you I noticed the same thing on my new carving saw. The only other time I'd see it was with sand in the bark. Maybe I was just a bot more in tune because of this thread, but boy do those little bars get hot quick.

You should see what I've learned. Check these out.

Photo 1: Mill Clearance, Tip: All clear.
Photo 2: Mill Bar Twist, Top, Head to Nose: None.
Photo 3: Mill Clearance, Head: All clear.
Photo 4: Mill Bar Twist, Bottom, Head to Nose: None.
Photo 5: Mill Bar Twist, Bottom, Nose to Head: None.
Photo 6: Free Bar Twist, Top, Nose to Head: None.
Photo 7: Free Bar Twist, Botton, Nose to Head: None.
Photo 8. Free Bar Twist, Top, Head to Nose: None.
Photo 9: Oiler Setting: "E"
Photo 10: Slung Oil on Floor (slip and fall hazard)

Conclusion: No impingement on mill parts. Bar is straight. Oil is pumping. I did crank the oiler to maximum afterwards.

Check the next post to see the saw running.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0115.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 8
Without the cool videos, which are too large to post here, it throws sparks without the mill, and the bar is true blue straight. The chain is loose, too loose at the end. The bar heated up to 122* F, but the chain only reached 96*F. The evening was 54*F.

In the videos, one in the dark, you can see sparks launching along the top length of the bar from head to nose. Not a lot, but enough.

I'm now believing it's part of the break-in process of a new bar and chain. I've run it about 2 minutes total now and the sparking is decreasing. The system is still smoking, but probably because I over-oiled it as per the discussion earlier: Lift the chain out of the guide channel along the length of the bar, on the top side, and manually add oil, with an oil can. It did sling a slip and fall strip on the garage floor. I did turn the oiler up to maximum. I'm going to find a tree and whack on it a tank or two to allow the system to break in properly.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Keep chiming in, as it's all useful.

I thought of another trial, to run my 661C in the dark on it's 36" bar and see what I can see. Might as well do it with all my saws. I'll try all my bars on all my saws. Take awhile...

Ok. To sum up and close my concern.

I took the rig out and milled several slabs last Thursday. Ran fine, and I'm happy. Except for the weight. 50 lbs I'm guessing. Thanks everyone for your help. Next question will be on it's own thread.

Back