5,000 lbs of Oak and a nice State Trooper.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After cutting this Oak today I was going home and I came upon a NC Highway Patrol License check. In NC the Highway Patrol runs the DOT scales also. I thought I will have to make payments on this fine. Even though I had enough tag (13,000 lbs) I figured they would still say the truck is overloaded. I rolled up to the check point and the trooper was really checking the load of wood out.
The trooper said: What you been doing bossman?
I said cutting alittle firewood.
He said : You load these big blocks by yourself?
I said: Yes, do you want to see my license?
He said : Sure do.
He looked at my license and said: Thank you and drive safe, still looking at the wood.
I felt like saying : Aren't you going to arrest me?
I was amazed he didn't care about my tag weight or the trucks GVW.
I stopped at a truck stop on the way home and weighed the truck, it weighed
11,820 without my 200lbs in it. The truck weighs 6800 lbs empty so thats 5,000 lbs of Qak
in the bed.

It was a fun day running the 390xp and my 372xp. I haven't run the 372xp in a couple years because all the Oaks I've been cutting lately were 385/390/395 size. It was fun to cut a small one for a change. Hope ya like the pics, cut safe.
Kent:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php
View attachment 227297

View attachment 227298

Thats a lot of wood. I think I picked the wrong hobby in FL.

in oz you would have been done like a dogs dinner any thing above the top of the tub has to be tied down... looks like you had a great day. here yesterday it rained all day hope to get out today and CUT SOME WOOD stay safe and let the chips fly :cheers:

Last edited:
Don't look overloaded to me. I have seen trucks practically dragging their bumper. Nice load of wood. Officer probably respected that you were loaded with the fruits of hard labor and not with stolen air conditioner units.

in oz you would have been done like a dogs dinner any thing above the top of the tub has to be tied down... looks like you had a great day here yesterday it rained all day hope to get out today and CUT SOME WOOD stay safe and let the chips fly :cheers:

In NJ, you'll only get pulled over if you double the speed limit or have an out of state plate. Never any loading issues with my pickup. And even when you get pulled over, you just hand em a PBA card or FOP card anyway, and you're back on your way. How many people know what those are? :msp_wink:

In NJ, you'll only get pulled over if you double the speed limit or have an out of state plate. Never any loading issues with my pickup. And even when you get pulled over, you just hand em a PBA card or FOP card anyway, and you're back on your way. How many people know what those are? :msp_wink:

Have you run into any MV inspectors?

Some officers of the law understand work, and many around here grew up heating with wood, and manual labor on farms, etc. Just takes a little common sense. Wish there were more out there like that. I run down the highway with a 1 ton GMC squatting pulling a 3/4 ton pickup bed trailer squatting loaded full of wood on regular basis, and the pooper troopers look, and usually wave, but I dont speed hauling that kind of load.

Nice load. In Wa. you'd be giving out your autograph for an unsecured load, maybe even parked until it was secured.

Don't look overloaded to me. I have seen trucks practically dragging their bumper. Nice load of wood. Officer probably respected that you were loaded with the fruits of hard labor and not with stolen air conditioner units.

Maybe your right about the fruits of hard labor. Nice thing about this truck is that once it gets level it quits going down in the rear. The 1/2 ton trucks I used to have would of looked like a dog taking a dump with half this much weight.

A good HEAVY load by the looks of the rear tire! And those were the small blocks? I got some big saws we could run.... friend request inbound if you always cut BIGGER STUFF!!:cool2:

Seems like all I find is big Oak nobody wants to cut with their Wildthing. The last couple years I've run my 395xp with a 3 foot bar more than any saw I own. After getting used to that I can sling a 390 or 372 with ease.

I do my uncle was on the job for NYPD for 20+ years they work wonders

You must be one big dude to load those chunks into a truck that tall. I'm 6'2" and I'd have needed a ramp to roll some of those babies up!!

Nice load of oak. I wouldn't trade my 12 valve for anything. It's the best truck I ever had. I have a 1997 2500 extended cab 4x4. My truck had the camper package so it has the 1 ton springs.

I regularly load mine like yours is loaded and I pull a military M101A3 trailer loaded even higher because it has sideboards. I always wanted to weigh it loaded.

Nice picture and work. It pays to not decent when talking to law enforcement. I am guessing you were polite and it pays in the end. I know several law enforcment people and the first thing is if you are a jerk they can make your stop way worse:msp_mad:

Is the VW a TDI:msp_confused:

You must be one big dude to load those chunks into a truck that tall. I'm 6'2" and I'd have needed a ramp to roll some of those babies up!!

I was lucky today. The tree was on a hill so I backed the truck across the ditch and the front bumper was even with the center line of the road. ( I was on a dead end road out in God's country). I only had to lift the wood about 8 inches to the tail gate. Notice I halfed the blocks on top for easier lifting.

Do you have air bags on that?

Just wondering, because my '96 squats a good bit more than that with 2 ton of stone. (only thing I have ever scaled)

Back