50,000 lbs STOLEN

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwiley

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
At a friends place in the country I had cut a bunch of large white oaks and pines to log length (8-12') and stacked them last year. Had equipment troubles and scheduling that got in the way until last weekend. WHen I showed up with the skid steer to start loading I found that only about 25,000lbs of the original 80,000 was left! (I am guessing weights based on what the skid steer and trailer handle).

I almost cried! Most of what they took were 12-30" diameter white oak logs.

Found piles of sawdust where the stuff was stacked.

The screwy thing is that the neighbor heard my truck pull up and came out to see who was there but claims to have never heard any chainsaws over there! MY guess is that they had a few dozen pickup truck loads and ran the saws over a period of a few days.

Sounds like a good time to invest in a trail camera

What a bummer. Hope you find out who took the wood

I had that happen 1 year, got permision from a landowner/logger to clean up tops and junk logs...worked all summer bring wood out to the skid roads with me ATV...had about 50 cords drug out and was getting ready to split it...had some things come up and wasnt there for about 2 weeks...went in there and it was ALL gone...like not even saw dust, JUST GONE.....:msp_mad::msp_mad:

We ran into that a couple years ago, be were cleaning up a place that had been logged, about a 180 acres, huge pile of cull logs. We were paying 5 dollars for all you could load on a 1 ton. The landowner lived offsite, he met us one day and wanted to know why we weren't paying him all he deserved. We went to the pile and it had diminished greatly from what we had took, the next week I drove over every day and on the third day caught his neighbor and his son on the wood pile with two trucks loaded to the hilt, he admitted to taking several trucks loads. After talking to the property owner we were able to put a chain and lock on the gate.

My buddy is selling the place so it is a lost cause. That did teach me a lesson though. Once the wood is on the ground get it home as quickly as possible. I just never imagined that someone would do something like that - heck I wouldn't have minded loosing a few logs even, but that was just too much.

Bummer on the thievery.
If I have to leave timber on the ground where there isn't anyone to keep an eye on it I always use spray paint to mark it. Usually spray a message on the logs facing the road stating private property. It has been a deterrent so far. Lucky me I guess.
:cheers:

Was listening to a radio news report this weekend about cattle rustling.

One of the detectives made the point that unlike most stuff that gets stolen (like pawning TVs for a fraction of the retail price), cattle gets the same at the auction whether brought in by a rancher or rustler.

I reckon firewood and timber is similar -- if someone's stealing it to sell it, they can get the same for wood they paid for or stole.

I'd go full RAMBO on them..I'd be in the bushes for 3 weeks if that's what it took, peeing my pants, crapping my pants, eating dirt, whatever it took. When they came I'd rappel out of the trees and NINJA those scum.

Was listening to a radio news report this weekend about cattle rustling.

One of the detectives made the point that unlike most stuff that gets stolen (like pawning TVs for a fraction of the retail price), cattle gets the same at the auction whether brought in by a rancher or rustler.

I reckon firewood and timber is similar -- if someone's stealing it to sell it, they can get the same for wood they paid for or stole.

Out here cattle rustling is STILL a crime punishable by HANGING.....GET A ROPE:rock:

The sad thing is that it takes work to protect property from those who don't want to work hard.

Mr. HE:cool:

That sucks mam"

Me and a friend had permission to hunt a place in southern Indiana 2 years ago.(nice place to hunt) The county or some one hired by the county to clear the power lines, cleared the power lines. They threw every branch back into the wood line. Nice right? It was nice for them,they took down every red and white within 30 yards of the lines and took all the log wood. The owner never checked into it":msp_confused:

One of the local farms just had 16,000 gallons of maple sap stolen from them over a two day period. Impossible to trace and worth quite a bit when it gets boiled down. Some people will steal just about anything.

I'd go full RAMBO on them..I'd be in the bushes for 3 weeks if that's what it took, peeing my pants, crapping my pants, eating dirt, whatever it took. When they came I'd rappel out of the trees and NINJA those scum.

There is so many comic lines in this statement.....I just don't know where to start.

OP, I'd say watch the neighbor carefully, it seems pretty strange your vehicle was heard but nothing else was. Unless they were using 'silenced/supressed' chainsaws.....

Scott B

There is so many comic lines in this statement.....I just don't know where to start.

OP, I'd say watch the neighbor carefully, it seems pretty strange your vehicle was heard but nothing else was. Unless they were using 'silenced/supressed' chainsaws.....

Scott B
yep,,fish smell in the air!!!!!!!!!!

Some people just suck.
I lived in Phoenix for 12 years and was stolen from several times. When i moved back to Wyoming I still lock everything up, friends laugh and give me a hard time because for the most part people still leave houses, garages, trucks and tool boxes unlocked. Sorry, i have had my share of being ripped off. It just takes one A-HOLE.

Times are getting worse, and unfortunately, this kind of behavior is becoming more common. Around here, it's scrap metal.

Back