50:1 TruFuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like it, great. Personally I dont let anyone mix my fuel or trust anyones can of anything. Just saying :)

Home Depot used to do it, but now, they only offer the discount to active-duty military. :msp_mad:.

Only a couple places stopped. There are 3 near me. One stopped, the other 2 still do it. Try another Depot. It aint all of em.

The canned fuel is good for storage. If you're using a good bit of mix in a short time buy pump gas and then drain it when you think it will be setting and then add some canned fuel to it and run it a minute or so to flush the pump gas out.

Great advice, I would go broke in a couple of weeks keeping the boys in tru-fuel or moto-mix, but have used the synthetic canned fuel for storage and have had no issue's for those who use a saw too much to make it economically feasible, this is a great alternative.

I'm lucky. In Athens, AL there is a station that only sells alchol free gass. 87, 89, and 91 I use the 89 and buy it 2 gal at a time. In Huntsville there are 3 Stations I know that have 91 in a single pump. I use HR-1 and 40 ish to 1. Im not sure what is the best. I know for certain buying E-10 87 and mixing it any way you want, filling up a saw and storing it for a year or so. Then trying to get the saw to run again is futile. I have the T shirt. Don't do it. Or if you just cant learn from others experience, have at it. Thats how you become experienced. As my team SGT told me amny times. Experience is directly proportional to equipment ruined. Alchol and storage in carbs is not good. Pretty much any alchol free gas with good oil somewhere around 40 plus or minus 10 to 1 will not ruin your equipment.

E-free gas is becoming harder and harder to find in my state. I run pump 91 with 40:1 mix for normal usage. When I'm prepping the saws for storage, I empty the pump gas out, pour some 40:1 trufuel and run them dry.

I know alot of guys run equipment dry for storage, but I don't do that any more. I once vacuum-collapsed an aging fuel line that way. If you blow out the eth-mix with TruFuel, I don't see a reason to run it dry.

We use Tru-Fuel in the shop just to eliminate the good fuel part of trouble shooting.

It was amazing last spring how many fixes a new spark plug and fresh fuel fixed. lol

E-free gas is becoming harder and harder to find in my state. I run pump 91 with 40:1 mix for normal usage. When I'm prepping the saws for storage, I empty the pump gas out, pour some 40:1 trufuel and run them dry.
The only ethanol free gas available locally for me in socal is avgas or 110+ octane VP racing fuel at something like $90/5gal. I'm going to see if I can fill up on 5gal of e-free on my trip to Colorado after Christmas.

the price of that ends up being about $20 a gallon compared to about $3 for gas i would run the ethanol gas before a would pay that, and i sometimes do
I would say dont waste your money on that stuff

Haven't had any issue running 10% ethanol. But as said above, get the ethanol out before they sit for any time. I've been using tru-fuel as a prophylactic so to speak. And I agree, I like to "keep em wet". In fall, all my 2-strokes get the pump gas dumped (use it up in the leaf blower). I put a splash of tru fuel in each tank and run it till I'm certain all the ethanol is gone. Shut it off, empty the tank, but not the bulb (if applicable) fuel line or carb. Keeping the rubber goods "wet". Tools treated as such are good for a solid year of storage with no issues. Just gas and go when needed.

I've also been amazed to see tru-fuel seemingly clean up a gummed up carb. Picked up a ms200t that had been a well used saw and been on back-up duty for some time. It ran, but throttle response was sluggish. Bought it as a parts unit. After sitting with tru-fuel for several weeks, it purred. Or more accurately, screamed! Sold it as a runner with the backstory. New owner loves it.

The only ethanol free gas available locally for me in socal is avgas or 110+ octane VP racing fuel at something like $90/5gal. I'm going to see if I can fill up on 5gal of e-free on my trip to Colorado after Christmas.

110 octane isn't going to do anything for performance. It burns more slowly during ignition and may cause idle/tuning problems.

the price of that ends up being about $20 a gallon compared to about $3 for gas i would run the ethanol gas before a would pay that, and i sometimes do
I would say dont waste your money on that stuff

Some people with weedeaters, blowers and small saws use such a small amount of fuel in a year, (1-4 qts) the stable pre mixed fuels aren't a bad idea in order to avoid fuel related problems.

I've gone to using canned fuel for a while. I was more curious than anything else, to see if I could actually tell any difference in performance. I know my wallet sure can tell a difference already.

My machines are sitting idle right now, so it won't be until Spring that they come back to life.

Latest posts

Back