5015 vs 211 vs 435

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paduroiul

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to buy a 5105, but the best priced one is on an online shop, so I don’t expect them to know if it’s the latest version or not and so on.
Is there a big difference between the older and later versions, how much better is the new one, or how much worse is the older one?
I really like the power and the price of the 5105, but I’m a little bit worried about what I read so far about it: getting really hot and having a sensible carb, so considering the fact that I’m an occasional user I’m not sure it’s the best choice for me.
The question is: has the 5105 a pretentious engine, carburetor? and a service setup before first time usage and fresh, quality gasoline should save me from regretting the buy?
For the same money I could buy an MS211 or a Husqvarna 435, which obviously are a lot smaller (2.3/2.2 against 3.8) .
So, is the maintenance difficult on this saw? Will it cause more problems than a Stihl or Husq?
Any suggestion?

MY MAIN QUESTION IS:
FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY, WOULD YOU BUY A DOLMAR 5105, A HUSQVARNA 435 OR A STIHL 211?(THE STIHL 260 OR THE 346 XP are about 200-250$ more); CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT i WILL BE MAINLY USING IT FOR CUTTING FIREWOOD AND A LITTLE BIT OF CONSTRUCTION WORK.
PS: no other alternatives -I'm interested in just the 3 mentioned above

So which saw did you decide to buy or are you still searching?

bought 3 weeks ago the 5105
I've read in the Instructions manual that the max RPM is at 13,500 so I'm not worried about the problem of running too high, also from what I've understood is has no cat., so that's ok
I've cut 2 tanks with it, so I'm not yet sure what to think of it
the sound when running is a little bit strange, I'll have to make a video and post it to see what other owners think
other than that I don't know...
the air filter had small particles inside after just 2 tanks of running - that not cool; => there isn't any HD filter for the 5105 so ....
That's all so far

I would have wanted a 346xp, even though the price is higher (it is here as well, but I don't care the few times I buy a new saw).

That aside, you did exactly as you should - the 211 and 435 are much lesser saws, that also has plastic cases, and "clamshell" engines = a lot lesser quality.

I don't think that the lean factory settings happens in Europe at all (unless someone did a mistake), as it is something they did to pass EPA tests in the US. The dealer should have checked the settings anyway, on the point of sale.....

the air filter had small particles inside after just 2 tanks of running - that not cool; => there isn't any HD filter for the 5105 so ....
That's all so far

The air filtration is far from great on those Dolmars, but imo it isn't bad enough to be an issue worth speakin too much of, unless you happen to have one of the black bodied "winter" filters on it (useless even in normal, not really dusty conditions - I have tried one). My Dolmar really needs the "mesh" filter, unlike all my other saw, in my "clean and green" wood.

Last edited:
Hey Troll you are like a one sting Banjo always playing the same tune I would buy a 346 or a 372 and you don't and won't ever have any use for any bigger saw than a 372. all it sound like to me is that you don't ever run anysaws you just like the 346 and 372 for the little firewood that you have cut. So quit raining on everyone parade or do you just like to depress people in general and if so that's sad. How would you like it if you went out and got a new saw and just loved it and posted how much you like the saw and I was right there saying boy you got bent over hard because this other saw here is so much better than yours and you should have bought a Dolmar or a Stihl or whatever. I like Huskies also but I don't put down every other saw out there just because. I own Huskys, Dolmars, Solos, and one Stihl so I have a little experience with each. And by the way a 372 won't hold up to cutting big hard wood all day every day for very long and that is why people need biiger saws well that and a bigger saw will cut faster in big trees which helps when you need it and sometimes you do need the power.

Now back to your problem with the 5105 and fines getting through just spray a little air filter oil on it and good to go and to get some more power buy a non cat 5100s muffler and put on it. I had a 5100s that I pulled the base gasket, MM, and squared and polished the ports and it was very strong and super fast nice running saw I miss it.

Last edited:
Hey Troll you are like a one sting Banjo always playing the same tune I would buy a 346 or a 372 and you don't and won't ever have any use for any bigger saw than a 372. all it sound like to me is that you don't ever run anysaws you just like the 346 and 372 for the little firewood that you have cut. So quit raining on everyone parade or do you just like to depress people in general and if so that's sad. How would you like it if you went out and got a new saw and just loved it and posted how much you like the saw and I was right there saying boy you got bent over hard because this other saw here is so much better than yours and you should have bought a Dolmar or a Stihl or whatever. I like Huskies also but I don't put down every other saw out there just because. I own Huskys, Dolmars, Solos, and one Stihl so I have a little experience with each. And by the way a 372 won't hold up to cutting big hard wood all day every day for very long and that is why people need biiger saws well that and a bigger saw will cut faster in big trees which helps when you need it and sometimes you do need the power.

Now back to your problem with the 5105 and fines getting through just spray a little air filter oil on it and good to go and to get some more power buy a non cat 5100s muffler and put on it. I had a 5100s that I pulled the base gasket, MM, and squared and polished the ports and it was very strong and super fast nice running saw I miss it.

Nobody in my country has even heard about "air filter oil" so it will be very hard to get; and regarding the muffler i don't think it has a cat I'll put some pictures of it, maybe you can tell if it does or does not have a cat.

Back