511AX setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmax

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello. Question with set-up. I'm use 72 LGX oregon chain.I'm suppose to be using a 10 degree down setting with this chain, my questions pertain mainly
to this. Firstly though....there is a scale on the very bottom of vise, that slides either way of 0 degrees,
with a letter "A" near the 0. Is this normally set at zero? and then only used to offset a worn wheel?
If so, I ground 4 teeth with this not set correctly, as I did not catch this on initial set up.

OK...So I have the correct wheel installed for 3/8's chain. By following the manual, I have the marks set correctly for the 10 degrees down setting. Prior to setting up for 10 degrees scale, I would be using 60/30/10.
So now, the mark for head tilt is at the 10 d. mark, vise turned to the left mark of 30 d. setting and vise base is tilted correctly. With these setting in place, without grinder running, I bring the stone down to top plate and notice the angle is off a bit. (this chain was supposedly ground (from local business) at 30 degrees. Looked more like a 35 or better pitch Perhaps they did not use the 10 degree down setting) Ok, I turn on grinder and drop stone into tooth, just enough to shape the cutter. When I'm finished, the gullet portion has taken a different shape. The stone has removed cutter material, which now takes the shape of the grinder wheel and not the nice beveled shaped it is suppose to be.

I was careful not to cut too deep, as I know the gullet is not really doing any of the cutting. Can someone with experience provide a little guidance please?

Did you dress (shape) your wheel? Do you have to plastic gauge that shows the proper contour for the wheels?

Latest posts

Back