525 jonsereds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As usual it depends on how cheap it is.
Bear in mind it was never a popular saw so thirty-odd years after it went out of production parts may be an issue, so non-runners/project saws should be approached with caution. Oil pumps are hard to get and cylinders even more so.

Poor excuse.....it and most of the other 5 series saws were brought on as upgrade/replacements for the 49/52 series. Lighter, faster, more powerful. Proved to not be the case. Many died an early death if used the least bit hard....combine that with poor warranty response and very hard to get spare parts.....not a good example of the line by any means......the last gasp of a dying company....

The 5 series used one of the first incarnations of what we now call a "clamshell" design with a one piece magnesium crankcase bottom and the cylinder and crank built up from the top. Best known for leaking oil out of the seam in the oil tank. As a replacement for the much loved and respected 49sp this series was not much chop, partly due to how well made their predecessors were. They are not a bad saw to have for a jonsered collector simply because they they were pretty unloved and did not last as well as other models so there are not as many complete saws around. As a usable saw however there are many better options and the 49sp is superior in the 50cc class.

I have a 525, see my gallery/Jonsered. 1984-86 It runs OK. It is not a hot rod by any means.
If you have one OK, but if you're going to buy one cheap it had better run. Parts are tough to come by.
Mine was one of my freebee's, so nothing lost.

Back