55 husky with nwp piston.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Cut

septic tank of information
Reaction score
Hi all... A friend I work with burned up his piston in his 55 husky. Cylinder cleaned up Really well, he has bought a nwp piston and wants me to put it together for him. I don't see many good things said about nwp pistons. I've tryed to get him to return it for a meteor but he's a cheap-o kinda guy. Then he asked about vec.... Should I put in the nwp for him or give him a copy of my workshop manual and say good luck!!

Sorry but as i donno, i have to ask whats this "nwp" ?

Brandname ?

Yes it's an AM brand that's priced fairly cheap.

To the op those pistons work fine but look at meteor first. The price difference isn't big enough to turn down better quality.

Nwp is a brand name of piston I think they are made in Taiwan

Yes it's an AM brand that's priced fairly cheap.

To the op those pistons work fine but look at meteor first. The price difference isn't big enough to turn down better quality.

Thank you.

Its never-heard bran to me then. And i must say that all the positive mentions of the Meteor pistons.....well, we dont have em here in finland. I use OEM pistons for that reason as the most common AM pistons, sold under brand "fotce" tend to have pretty low compression heights compared to OEM pistons.

SOrry for off topiking.

What I have read here hundreds of times..dont trust the rings and circlips that come with cheap pistons. Use OEM.

I have installed the kits and all seemed fine but I prefer an OEM ring. My kit had a ring with a fine groove around the middle and I did not care for it. OEM rings can be had for $10-$12.

I have an NWP modded p/c on a 262xp and it runs ok.

I used the rings in the kit but, did use OEM cir clips.

I Havnt seen the piston or rings yet. I'm figuring if I put it together I'll use the oem clips, bearing and pin

I prefer the meteors too, but i would stick it in. It should be ok. Like others have mentioned, oem or camber ring and oem circlips. If things do go sideways with it, you have given him fair warning.

NWP (New West Products) had an issue with the ring locating pins a few years back, be sure to check that they are fully seated in their holes. Sometimes they would drill the hole too deep or use a pin that was too short and the pin would eventually work itself all the way in and allow the ring to rotate around -not good. Also check the deck height to be sure its correct, you can always somewhat adjust that by altering the gasket thickness and checking the squish of course you'll change the port timing too. Otherwise your compression will end up being much lower than you expect. I had a friend put one of those in and he was surprised to find his compression at only 125, we pulled it back apart and found the deck height to be nearly .030 lower than it should be.

I have a Husky 51 that needed a piston. I bought a NWP trying to save some money. When I pushed a wrist pin through both pistons at the same time, I discovered that the nwp was gonna sit lower in the cylinder, thus lowering the compression. I bought a Meteor and did not look back as it was same distance from pin to top as oem.

Latest posts

Back