550 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually prefer .325 (a little smoother bumping the small stuff). But yes, 7t 3/8 vs. 7t .325, the 3/8 is a little quicker (same length bar, same <16 wood).

So can you convert the small spline to large spline in the 550 in order to run 9t .325? I understand this conversion is possible on the 2260.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

So can you convert the small spline to large spline in the 550 in order to run 9t .325? I understand this conversion is possible on the 2260.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Double post - delete!

Can't do it myself, it seems.....

Last edited:

There is no point in doing that, it is more a question of what works best of 7- or 8-pin in .325. In 3/8", 7-pin really is the only option.

Yes you can. Whether it cuts faster or slower has more to do with the condition of the chain than it does .325 vs 3/8.

.... .

Yes, to really know what works best for you, in your wood and conditions, you really need to try the options yourself (.325x7, .325x8 and 3/8"x7).

The exact chain model, and the sharpness etc. of the chain, will of course have a huge impact on the results - so you need to eliminate those variables as much as possible.

I changed my ported 346 from a .325-7t rim to an 8t rim and, to me any way,it seems faster and smoother in hardwood, than the 3/8 -7t did. That Masterminded 346 certainly doesn't lack for chain speed with a 7 - an 8 is almost scary. :bowdown:

I am going to do same. Working on going 3/8 .050 on every thing, less inventory on chains, files and Ido not have to switch grinding wheels.

After the previous inventory went up in flames, my Father and I wanted to do things a bit more efficiently/smarter. Yes, I do think that .325 is a bit more smooth and feels perfect on a stock 346xp. I do like very much, however, only running .050-3/8" as it doesn't matter which saw/bar combo the loop goes on. As long as the loop is long enough for the bar, it runs. I only have 2 file sizes to maintain between the early and late stages of 3/8" tooth life and the larger size can accommodate .404 as well. We have a decent supply of 16", 20", 28" and 36" loops hanging on the wall, waiting for the next round of devastation. It adds a bit of modularity to the system, similar to having soon to be 4 saw which run the same bar mount as that adds a bit of flexibility in the choices.

I use 16" X 3/8" X 60 DL X .050" Stihl RS on my 550XP, 545, NE346XP, 026, 115, & 5105 chainsaws.
The 026 has the least torque of all these, yet is a real sweetheart limb saw with the 3/8" chain.

I just got my first 550XP, from you, sir, and via mweba, who ported it. I have a bit of 33RS chisel .325 left. Had a 20" bar, and mounted it up. That's the wide kerf .325. I only ever used a bit of normal (dunno if it was narrow kerf), but it was semi-chisel Oregon, and it was slow. Since then, I used up most of a reel of the 33RS, but prefer 3/8..especiallly as all my 3 cube saws were, and are ported.

By the way, the 550, which likely isn't broken in yet, cuts well. ( don't know how many tanks Mitch ran through it, and all I've done is some timed cuts. I've yet to get back my Slingerized 346 from Mitch, who was repairing it, but it cut about 25-30% slower than my 357, ported by Ed Heard some years ago, which is very strong, and is sporting a new 24" bar, and full square chisel, semi-skip.

I've kept my 346 on .325. I find them easier to sharpen than the 3/8". Just a touch with the file or wheel and they are good to go.

Can you put a 3/8 chain bar & sprocket on a 550 ?

Yes...and you should. I've had mine set up with both and it has plenty of grunt to pull 3/8. There is less/no feed pressure required as well as less frequent sharpening. I will agree the lighter weight bars of the .325 variety are nice but the 550/346 seem tail heavy to me so I actually like the way the 3/8 bars balance them. I have a 18" 3/8 Sugi Lightweight on mine and it balances superbly. On a bone stock 026/ms260 I like .325 better simply for the gearing. It lets those saws rev higher in the cut and stay in the meat of their power. Ported or even muffler modded though, they get 3/8.

-AJ

Back