550XP RevBoost or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree... it's a feature of my saw and I'd like to know how it works. There has to be something I have to do to make sure it's is being used correctly. For example, do I really need to rev the saw prior to cutting to enable RevBoost?

They're using it as a selling point so they should really describe/explain it in the manual IMHO.

I sort of agree, but operator manuals usually don't contain such information.

Reving up the saw before starting the cut is normal anyway, it just happens faster with the RevBoost! :msp_smile:

I thought rev boost raised the rev limiter for a few seconds, am I wrong? Does it only allow quicker revs but no extra rpms? Has anyone else tried to tach test it?

I disagree... it's a feature of my saw and I'd like to know how it works. There has to be something I have to do to make sure it's is being used correctly. For example, do I really need to rev the saw prior to cutting to enable RevBoost?

They're using it as a selling point so they should really describe/explain it in the manual IMHO.

Mark, there's nothing you need to do. Like ST says, it's "just there". But I agree that you should be able to understand what the heck is going on there, and some one should be able to explain it to you. Didn't the guy who sold it to you tell you anything about it?

All revboost does is allow a 2 second burst of an extra 2000rpm while limbing. Doesn't really have anything to do with the acceleration. And obviously, any cut that is more than 2 seconds in duration will be beyond what revboost provides and you really won't notice it very much if at all. But if you're doing a lot of small limbs, you should notice that you are blowing through them pretty quick.

Trigger timing is also key here due to the 2 second deal. Some guys delay/hesitate from the time they hit the trigger to the time they hit the wood. (The sound of which bugs me to no end) Doing so obviously wastes what revboost is supposed to be doing. So, hitting the trigger and then quickly hitting the limb maximizes the revboost feature.

Personal opinion: I do notice it, and I think it is a cool feature. But it's not an OMG, can't live without it Holy Grail. The 346 never had it, and it did just fine. :msp_smile:

What if it is that the crank is filled and could have been made heavier. I noticed the auto tune without rev boost 555xp doesn't have the covers to fill the crank on the parts sheet picture.

Those "fillers" are really light, and serves to make the case compression (not top end compression) better, by reducing the volume down there - which is quite important.

RevBoost gets you to the beer quicker :msp_w00t:

I'm a simple guy with less than basic skills. But I do know this: I don't like my beer getting sudsed. And I don't want my attention being diverted away from the beer. You guys of a higher breed have it easy with your multitasking and ambidextrous capabilities :D

No reason to mention it in the manual, as it isn't something the operater need to activate or maintain - it just is there.
What it does is loosely mentioned on all the web-sites I have looked at, but not what makes it happen.

On mine you have to manually activate the throttle trigger. :jester:

So when do we get the 390T XP then? Along with a 576T AT XP :msp_confused: :biggrinbounce2:

Then there will be a beer hand as well as being able to cut up 20"+ Aussie hardwoods.

Maybe we have to wait for the 590xp, or whatever it will be called - I suspect the wait will be a long one though....:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back