550xp stalls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I also have a 261 regular carb model & feel the same about it as you do. It is the first one I choose for most work even though the 562 is running perfectly now.

My coworker has ms 261 computer model. He has a unresolved starting issue. After 40 years of running stihl ( and he is a nothing but stihl guy) still is having trouble starting it when hot/ warm. The man can start a saw. Says it is his worst saw. My worst = O26 so far. The jury is still out on the 550xp. I have not given up hope yet. I will post the result once I get it back to the dealer.

My new 2015 model 550xp was behaving the same way when I first got it. One thing I did that might've fixed the issue is that I unscrewed the decomp valve to check it and noticed that it wasn't on very tight. After cleaning it and checking it out, I screwed it back on tight. Saw ran the best ever since I got it, no smoky cold starts, easy one pull hot start, and no more hesitation. I'll try it out again tomorrow and see.

My new 2015 model 550xp was behaving the same way when I first got it. One thing I did that might've fixed the issue is that I unscrewed the decomp valve to check it and noticed that it wasn't on very tight. After cleaning it and checking it out, I screwed it back on tight. Saw ran the best ever since I got it, no smoky cold starts, easy one pull hot start, and no more hesitation. I'll try it out again tomorrow and see.

Thank you for the post. The saw is still at the dealer. They are working with Husqvarna to find the issue. They have done pressure tests for leaks. No leaks have been detected. I can mention the valve to the dealer for them to check.

Thank you for the post. The saw is still at the dealer. They are working with Husqvarna to find the issue. They have done pressure tests for leaks. No leaks have been detected. I can mention the valve to the dealer for them to check.

Update on saw, new 550xp , still at the dealers. Been there since March 22 and this is April 4th. They need a few more days to figure it out. We are not talking about a Homelite XL-12 from the 60,s, this is a state of the art Husqvana, brand new which is so state of art it can't be fixed by the people who designed it, Now that is what I call a great advancement it saw technology. When I returned it, the dealer told me the saw had 20 min of use registered on it. That's incredeable they know I ran it for twenty minutes. But how to fix it?? They have replaced the carb but the saw is still issuing codes.

Does any one know what is going on with these 550xp's ??? What is the issue ?? Can it be that difficult to get a saw fixed in 2016? Is there an information blockage some where up stream above the dealer? They just can't fix it.

Somewhere along the line there may be mistakes made and not by the dealer.

Chainsaw Jim,

Have you experienced any issues like this? 550xp works good during warm-up. Hesitates off idle at working tempature. This is a replacement saw meant to solve the same issue on the first 550 I bought.

Opening the throttle quickly, hesitates off idle. Gently tap or feather the throttle it is likely to stall off idle. Kind of opposite to what would be expected.

They seem to be extremely finicky if the fuel isn't the best quality. If that's the case then it would explain four saws in a row going tits up. It isn't common for dealers to experience this many saws that run just fine before they leave the shop to come back like this. You'll also find many dealers who don't know enough about carburetors to figure this out.
I'm not saying you're the problem here, but something seems way way off.

Canned fuel is not fresh fuel. It sits on a store shelf for how long? After sitting in a wholesale warehouse for how long? Some people get screwed when they buy clear premium at a pump that shares fuel types on the same hose. .8 gallons remains in the fuel hose and if you're only buying one gallon at a time then you're paying double for a near gallon of regular ethanol fuel.

Update on saw, new 550xp , still at the dealers. Been there since March 22 and this is April 4th. They need a few more days to figure it out. We are not talking about a Homelite XL-12 from the 60,s, this is a state of the art Husqvana, brand new which is so state of art it can't be fixed by the people who designed it, Now that is what I call a great advancement it saw technology. When I returned it, the dealer told me the saw had 20 min of use registered on it. That's incredeable they know I ran it for twenty minutes. But how to fix it?? They have replaced the carb but the saw is still issuing codes.

Does any one know what is going on with these 550xp's ??? What is the issue ?? Can it be that difficult to get a saw fixed in 2016? Is there an information blockage some where up stream above the dealer? They just can't fix it.
You want a good chainsaw? esteem the old, because these new, all together are not worth half of the old! and not only are 550s, mine is a 440 and has the same symptoms! beautiful crap that I buy, I could have bought a 265 but as it was older, I preferred this, after I screwed up.
Manufacturing defect at all due to the defenders theories of the environment, which only serve to take off us patience.
I am waiting to get the key to fine tune the carburetor to see if
can improve the operation of the chain saw, if not get, I'll have to sell it and buy a Stihl MS 250, or husqvarna 55 or 61.

They seem to be extremely finicky if the fuel isn't the best quality. If that's the case then it would explain four saws in a row going tits up. It isn't common for dealers to experience this many saws that run just fine before they leave the shop to come back like this. You'll also find many dealers who don't know enough about carburetors to figure this out.
I'm not saying you're the problem here, but something seems way way off.

Canned fuel is not fresh fuel. It sits on a store shelf for how long? After sitting in a wholesale warehouse for how long? Some people get screwed when they buy clear premium at a pump that shares fuel types on the same hose. .8 gallons remains in the fuel hose and if you're only buying one gallon at a time then you're paying double for a near gallon of regular ethanol fuel.

".8 gallons remains in the fuel hose and if you're only buying one gallon at a time then you're paying double for a near gallon of regular ethanol fuel.[/QUOTE]"

That is some excellent information there!

SCHallenger, Hamish & SawTroll posted some good info here...

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/550xp-updates.295332/page-5

The 2016-03 SawTroll posted on page 2 shows a new AT-12 & rerouted fuel line that I'm hoping will resolve the issues I'm having. I'm also confident fuel quality is not my issue. If it turns out that these saws are that sensitive to fuel quality then they should not be exposed to the forest environment.

Chainsaw Jim,

Have you experienced any issues like this? 550xp works good during warm-up. Hesitates off idle at working tempature. This is a replacement saw meant to solve the same issue on the first 550 I bought.

Opening the throttle quickly, hesitates off idle. Gently tap or feather the throttle it is likely to stall off idle. Kind of opposite to what would be expected.
Him many hours was on your first saw? If dealer can't find issue on a saw with 20 minutes I'd take it out and run the crap out of it for 3 or 4 hours . That should fix it or blow the turd up [emoji848]

This is my second saw. I go through a fair amount of gas. I buy 10 l at a time. Use brand name oil (200 ml per mix ) and buy the best gas available. The last time I mixed I put 5 l in the truck to drain the hose. Willing to try anything to get the solution to the problem. I bought the can gas to eliminate the gas issue for the dealer.

I do like the saw and not out to crap on it. Just like to get it fixed. It is brand new.
I have other saws I am using. I just think when I get a 550xp that is working well, it will be my best saw. If I thought there was a better saw available I would buy it. Husqvana will give me my money back. They know there is a problem. I'm not stuck with it, I want it.
The problem does not show up until it is up to working tempature. This is a problem when the dealer starts it, revs it up a few times "yep working good." They also dumped out the gas, put good gas in, reset something "yep working good now"
Problem not solved, not even detected.

Him many hours was on your first saw? If dealer can't find issue on a saw with 20 minutes I'd take it out and run the crap out of it for 3 or 4 hours . That should fix it or blow the turd up [emoji848]
I put about twenty tanks through the first saw. Wanted to give it a chance to auto tune and have a break in period. So when this saw acted the same I took it back after the first tank.

Bought my uncle the 545 and after 2 tanks he says it stalls to. I ran it Sunday for 5 minutes and it didn't stall but did hesitate like you say. It also seemed lame compared to my Redmax 5300 (353) so I assume it's not broke in yet. If they can't find a good one you should get your money and try a Stihl , I would [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to be nice if Husqvarna ever gets this carb bs figured out because these saws really perform well otherwise. Same with the 562.
It's almost as if Husqvarna Corp is avoiding a recall on a bad batch of carbs and forcing their dealers and customers to foot the bill.

The problem has been identified and fix is on it's way. I will have my saw fixed once the new updated part arrives. This should solve most problems with hesitation and stalling off idle. Looking forward to getting a good working, high performance saw and a end to a long story.

Latest posts

Back