555 and 562xp air filter leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taxi1249

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 555 and a 562xp both seem to have a small air leak around the filter. I found a small oring that fits right inside the groove on the filter and seems to be fixing my problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and if you had any ideas on a better fix. Oring seems to be working but always looking for a better way.

I am guess when you say air leak you are eaning the seal is allowing fines into the filter holder......
Very common, a lil dab of grease can fix it.

Yes thats what I'm talking about. I tied that first it seems to work ok but the grease seemed to run down into the intake and the small particles that made it through just made a big mess. The oring seemed to work out a lot better.

Yes thats what I'm talking about. I tied that first it seems to work ok but the grease seemed to run down into the intake and the small particles that made it through just made a big mess. The oring seemed to work out a lot better.

I've had the same problem with my 562xp. When I pull the filter off, there is a fine layer of crud lining the inside of the filter holder. Husky offers 3 different filters for this saw, the white felt one that comes with a new saw, and an optional 40 micron nylon mesh filter and an 80 micron mesh filter. I bought the 80 micron filter to see if this would stop the fines from getting into the filter holder, but it didn't help. Seems the problem is the junction between filter and filter holder. Does this o-ring trick keep the filter holder completely clean? Did you grease the oring or leave it dry? Could you advise on the thickness of the oring you used? Looks like it would have to be a pretty small diameter to fit up into the slot on the filter. Anybody lightly oil the white felt filter? a little hesitant to try that, afraid the damp filter would really attract dirt/sawdust/etc and make the saw try to pull air even harder through the filter/holder junction. thanks

I've had the same problem with my 562xp. When I pull the filter off, there is a fine layer of crud lining the inside of the filter holder. Husky offers 3 different filters for this saw, the white felt one that comes with a new saw, and an optional 40 micron nylon mesh filter and an 80 micron mesh filter. I bought the 80 micron filter to see if this would stop the fines from getting into the filter holder, but it didn't help. Seems the problem is the junction between filter and filter holder. Does this o-ring trick keep the filter holder completely clean? Did you grease the oring or leave it dry? Could you advise on the thickness of the oring you used? Looks like it would have to be a pretty small diameter to fit up into the slot on the filter. Anybody lightly oil the white felt filter? a little hesitant to try that, afraid the damp filter would really attract dirt/sawdust/etc and make the saw try to pull air even harder through the filter/holder junction. thanks

80 microns is larger...that's the winter filter...will let MORE in

O'rings are typically universal number coded and can be ordered in bulk from places like grainger or mcmaster...

The 80 micron mesh filter is made for winter use, and the one that is most likely to let fines through the filter media - so no wonder it didn't help! ;)

Husqvarna has come out with an improved filter holder for the 555/562. One of our sponsors should be able to get it for you.

That would be great, anybody have part numbers for that, or can direct me where to find it? Really should have researched the micron measurement, I thought I was buying the finest filter they offered. So is the white felt filter the best filter (as far as filtering out small stuff)?

That would be great, anybody have part numbers for that, or can direct me where to find it? Really should have researched the micron measurement, I thought I was buying the finest filter they offered. So is the white felt filter the best filter (as far as filtering out small stuff)?

Spike60 or TK can help you with that. Send either of them a PM.

The 80 micron mesh filter is made for winter use, and the one that is most likely to let fines through the filter media - so no wonder it didn't help! ;)

I caught that and didn't want to be the one to say it. Thank God we have you here bro! :cheers:

How many micron is the stock filter? I had no idea they offered 3 different types. What do you recommend for a 550xp and 562xp? (you have similar saws)

Husqvarna has come out with an improved filter holder for the 555/562. One of our sponsors should be able to get it for you.

Bought my 562xp not too long ago. Is this standard on the newer saws? Can someone post pics of the new and old holder?

I caught that and didn't want to be the one to say it. Thank God we have you here bro! :cheers:

How many micron is the stock filter? I had no idea they offered 3 different types. What do you recommend for a 550xp and 562xp? (you have similar saws)

LOL, mikefunaro beat me to it anyway - I type too slow! :msp_biggrin:

I mostly use the 44 micron mesh ones, no need for the flocked filters here.

It's usual to treat the flocked filters in Aus with a filter oil suitable for flocked filters for the fine dust.

The dry hardwoods create both chips and dust with sharp chains.

Every saw I've owned have let a few fines into the intake. Never been a problem though...

Yup...

Basically any used saw I've purchased that doesn't have an immaculate filter has some fines in the throat.

I actually owned a 372 xpg that had been run with the winter filter all its life from what I could gather...even that saw was fine and plenty strong...

I actually knew a jonsered dealer in NH who, when I was ordering a flocked filter for the 372, told me that I wanted the 80 micron winter filter (but didn't address it as such, just by the part number), and when I asked why I was told "that's the better filter"

I agree that nobody wants their saw eating dust, and especially if youre in the desert and there's lots of sand in the wood or whatever it's more of a concern, but a tiny bit of seepage here and there does not seem to be that big of an issue to me. A lot of saws are run with fairly dirty air filters..just ask some dealers on here...

Latest posts

Back