562 outer cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum783

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Pulled the cover off of my 562 to change and chain after hitting a pile of buried nails while cutting firewood. I admit haste was involved. Someone I got it off with the chain break applied. To no avail I tried to release the chain brake with a screw drive or a punch in the spring. BTW I have the spring cover off. Please help there has to be a way.

Sounds like a plan didn't even think about that.

Those clutches are really easy to remove, a suitable drift and a hammer is all you need.

I'm surprised if you can't disengage the brake by forcing the 3 pronged "star" that engages the handle over though. That will release the brake.

I tried everything under the sun to get that stupid star to release and it was not going to do it the methods I was trying

take a bar wrench and on the stihl side of the wrench grind 3 slots in it to match the brake activation point. you now have a break band opening tool. i get at least 1 a week brought into the shop that i open for somebody.

Makes sense, certainly take takes a bit more force than I figured I thought I would be able to do it with a screwdriver. The answer to that is NO!

Latest posts

Back