5Ft of 9mm Pumpkin Line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just received my 5 foot length of 9mm pumpkin line from Fresco. I am going to be using it for V.T , Distel , and Schwabish on 1/2 inch line. Can anyone help with what knot I need to make the eyes on the ends. Perhaps a visual demonstration or a photograph. Also, how long from eye to eye should it be to work out for the 3 hitches I mentioned? Thanks a lot.

tony

i used the V.T for the first time today with 3/8 hummana hummana. 3 coils 3 braids. It worked famously for me. micro pulley and Petzl william ball lock. What a phenomenal hitch.

i weigh 178lbs. the 3:3 V.T was great today. I also want to try the Distel 4:1. So we'll see what happens.

Thank you
tony

Kind of an anchor hitch (round turn sitting on own tail) to self to form eyelet(with bitter end exiting towards standing part); or as a crossed turn sitting on own tail instead of anchor hitch; forming double fisherman's/barrel. Same lacing is great for many, many utility purposes; increasing to 3 turns in real slick, stiff, tiny stuff (throwline, dynema, flat rope etc.). Very secure, very high strength percentage retention, especially in 3 turn, rather than roundturn varieties. Usually for strength only 2 turns needed though, as 3 turns is so strong, only using 3 when there is no other strength compromise (another bend in line or knot etc.) and max strength needed(and other things just don't compromise some other point in line system anyway, making estra time/effort/length needed superfluous; in a strong as weakest link analysis), or for the extra security.

Sliding Friction Hitch Buffet

i still like Icicle in 5000# test 3/8 Tenex.
Try VT or something for great lanyard too, tied to D, i even like lanyard reeved through D, so D is mount and tender all in one. 1 hand adjustable, adjustable under load like in Chord Tending on D

Good L.U.C.K. (Labor Under Controlled Knowledge)

Last edited:
distels

ive been using a distel as a lanyard and climbing hitch (tenex on arbormaster and xtc) i find it grips loads and doesnt want to release to advance it. this may just be a cord problem but it does work better on lanyards than climbing lines, im assuming its not weighted as severly

jamie

Jamie, your observations are the same as mine. In the climbing line it has a tendency to get shock loaded and binds up. The VT doesnt have that problem.

I hope you have better luck with that Pumpkin Line for a hitch than I did. I personally don't like it, I only used for a VT, maybe it works better if used for other hitches like a Distel or as a Swabisch. The Pumpkin Line would not grab on que all the time, had to really watch it. Maybe I didn't break it in enough either.

When I first saw it out of the shipping carton and got my hands on it I thought it would make an excellent cord, has a good feel to it and good texture in the construction of it. Just my opinion, it is too stiff for a hitch especially a VT, try it and see how you like it, maybe you will come up
with a different opinion.

Larry

Ax-man said:
I hope you have better luck with that Pumpkin Line for a hitch than I did. I personally don't like it, I only used for a VT, maybe it works better if used for other hitches like a Distel or as a Swabisch. The Pumpkin Line would not grab on que all the time, had to really watch it. Maybe I didn't break it in enough either.

When I first saw it out of the shipping carton and got my hands on it I thought it would make an excellent cord, has a good feel to it and good texture in the construction of it. Just my opinion, it is too stiff for a hitch especially a VT, try it and see how you like it, maybe you will come up
with a different opinion.

Larry

I'm with you Larry. I had some trouble with that line at first. Even now I don't trust it completely. I was thinking most of my trouble was my climbing line was so new that the new cord wasn't grabbing. When it works it works great, but ...

Still working it out.

BAB

Five feet sounds pretty long to me. I use 5/16" Sta-Set cut to 45" and then i tie double fisherman's knots in each end, or you could splice eyes in each end. Not too difficult once you get the double braid splice down. I find this length to work well w/ the vt, knut, schwaibisch, and distel. Sta-set is the way to go in my opinion. Check online at Sail Net. The price is right too .35-.45 per foot.

I prefer the vt on my climbing line, and the knut tied off to my dee as a tender for my lanyard

kf_tree said:
thats just great......my tax dollars are being spent so you get to play with different knots at work :p
how are you paying nyc taxes in oc, if saw boss worked slower would you be happy. or maybe try nothing new at all hmm.

ahhhh......i see sticking up for your bud saw boss eh. how do i pay nyc tax's living in orange county you ask? i also have a apt in manhattan, and i work in nyc. it was meant more as joke.......just like the nyc parks dept, a joke.

he's a city employee.......i don't think it's possible to work any slower. as far as trying something new.......yea try working a little faster.

:p

i have a definite beef with the powers that be in the nyc parks......its a long history. so as park employee's you guys are just stuck in my cross fire. :)

kf_tree said:
ahhhh......i see sticking up for your bud saw boss eh. how do i pay nyc tax's living in orange county you ask? i also have a apt in manhattan, and i work in nyc. it was meant more as joke.......just like the nyc parks dept, a joke.

he's a city employee.......i don't think it's possible to work any slower. as far as trying something new.......yea try working a little faster.

:p

i have a definite beef with the powers that be in the nyc parks......its a long history. so as park employee's you guys are just stuck in my cross fire. :)
No he is a new climber mr. confindence builder it called arborist site not ny whiner site

jmack said:
No he is a new climber mr. confindence builder it called arborist site not ny whiner site

thank you very much......i resemble that remark. the way i figure the more i beat down a prospective climber i eliminate the competion, there fore driving up my day rate.

:)

actually i know very well i have a BAD attitude about new climbers. my BIGGEST fear about trying to bring along a new climber is seeing or hearing about him getting HURT. i do not want that responsibility.

at work i have a groundman who made it back for his second season. he's 18-19 and wants to be a climber. the first year i did not pay much attention to him. but i've never seen a groundman hussle and try to learn the way he does. my biggest complaint about him is " slow down , focus and think". but since he wants to learn soooo bad i've decided to try and bring him along and train him the best i can. i do not see him climbing for at least 2 years though. we are a production based company, so it's hard to train a climber.......we just bang bang bang out the jobs. so i feel learing to run ropes is his best training for now. i keep telling him if you don't know ask? which most guys are afraid to do.......i guess i'm kind of like the military.......beat him down, now i'm trying to build up his confidence.

i guess my problem with sawlacky is he never paid his dues.
most guys run rope for a while before they ever get in a saddle. if you've never worked with a good climber you don't even know what is possible.

Just to clarify things....I ran ropes and dragged brush for 2 years with assorted companies. I still do both to this very day. The only difference is, now I climb as well. I don't know why all of the old timers have such difficulty with allowing new climbers into the "circle". For the time I've been in the saddle I've learned a lot. I still run ropes for great climbers and enjoy every minute of it. On that note.....the GRCS is a phenomenal device if you can afford it.

Thanks for the negativity kftree.....it really keeps me going. Actually it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact.....your silly opinion of "dues" and all that means about as much to me as a festering bowl of dog snot!!!!!!

tony

Have you used this Pumpkin Line enough to give an opinion on it. I for one would be interested in hearing more about it. The sales people at Fresco said it was a good selling cord, but couldn't say which hitch climbers were using it with.

Larry

NYSawBoss said:
Just to clarify things....I ran ropes and dragged brush for 2 years with assorted companies. I still do both to this very day. The only difference is, now I climb as well. I don't know why all of the old timers have such difficulty with allowing new climbers into the "circle". For the time I've been in the saddle I've learned a lot. I still run ropes for great climbers and enjoy every minute of it. On that note.....the GRCS is a phenomenal device if you can afford it.

Thanks for the negativity kftree.....it really keeps me going. Actually it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact.....your silly opinion of "dues" and all that means about as much to me as a festering bowl of dog snot!!!!!!

tony

man.....you parks guy's are no fun.
:dizzy:

Hey Ax-man...to answer your question, I'm using the pumpkin line on a 4 over 1 Distel hitch. It has been working great so far for me. If you're going to buy it I suggest about 8ft. It's cheap enough after all. I tied 2 double fishermans barrels on the ends. I'm running it at a finished length of 26 inches eye to eye. You may want to play with it to see what works for you. I'm having NickfromWI make me up a few that are shorter. The reason for this is so that the "legs" of the hitch are no longer than 1", therefore no waste of pull before my pulley tends the knot. Any further questions feel free to PM me or post again.

Tony

Back