60 degrees in here this morning!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Woke up to a darn cold house this morning. Went out to my wood furnace(it's in a metal shed behind my house) and the blower motor was locked up. I will pull it apart today and replace the motor.
I had to run the propane monster to get the chill off and then run the electric space heater till the parts store opens... I hate to burn propane, not near as warm and comfortable.
Good thing is that it's 24 out right now.

Look on the bright side. If you lived in the Northeast and heated with oil, 60 degrees would be considered quite warm (almost a luxury):)

Hey Mark, long time no talk. I had the same stove til this winter. Now it's at my son's house. Mine locked up, took the motor out of the housing, oiled it and forced it to turn. Finally got it going agiain and two years later it's still working. You'll see the oil tubes, You have to keep them oiled, hard to do when it's in a plenum.......Lanny

Got her going and heating the house. Had to put a motor on the blower and it's kicking out great heat now. Feels good to have it back:clap:, must be about 72 in here now. I have over 40 cord waiting to keep it going. Should be almost enough wood for next year too.
Thanks Lanny but I had a different motor on it already. Glad to hear that is working good for you.

Hey, don't laugh ! I went from oil furnace to woodstove then to OWB. As bizzare as it sounds I still burn the woodstove quite a bit even though it is completley unnecessary. I like having the livingroom 78 and upstairs 65. Wife just likes the look and feel of a fire in the woodstove on a cold day. Come to think of it I think I will fire up the stove right now.:dizzy::cheers:

Hey, don't laugh ! I went from oil furnace to woodstove then to OWB. As bizzare as it sounds I still burn the woodstove quite a bit even though it is completley unnecessary. I like having the livingroom 78 and upstairs 65. Wife just likes the look and feel of a fire in the woodstove on a cold day. Come to think of it I think I will fire up the stove right now.:dizzy::cheers:

You are so right blackdog---- The wood stove just creates an ambiance that only a fireplace can duplicate. Plus, It is so nice to have the large vaulted open living/stove room toasty warm--- (80 right now AND the wife is loving it) and cool in the bedrooms. The office is just right. Life is good--- no matter what you've got, if it turns wood into warmth, it is SWEET!

Man your spoiled at 60, when mine kicked out it took to about 52 to wake up and find a problem. A least it's an easy fix..

Mark, you have better luck than me. Had that been my problem it would have been -30 and the blower would have quit right after I left for work!

Similar deal going on here.

We've got an old Kuma wood furnace, and the 30-year-old blower motor has just taken a fast downhill turn and isn't powerful enough to do more than charge the forced-air ductwork in our two-story, 1,500-square-foot house. So we're using the propane furnace fan to push that warm air into the house every 15 minutes or so. Looks like a trip to the store for a new fan is in order today. We've got -20 coming tonight. Not really cold for this part of the country, but cold enough.

Ah well, another $120 spent right before Christmas. But heck, could be worse. Way worse.

While my issues aren't furnace related (read: I was being lazy). I got home late from work and the wife late from school (she got home waaay before me). The furnace was stone cold (whoops, guess she did not load it fully before she left), it was 67F when I walked in and around 8pm, figured what the hell, should be okay.

I came down stairs this morning, 63F, I decided to live rich and turn on the gas furnace (remoted in to work, fixing issues before I head in, don't have time to get the wood furnace up and running). So I am sitting here, it is 70F thanks to the gas furnace but I am thinking, "why the hell does it feel so cold still?!?" oh yeah, no warm basement, no warm floor == sucky gas heating.

Ugh!

Tes

Last edited:

Had my 'lil woodstove in the living room going on Sunday, was rainy, temps. in the mid-30's.

Get the numbers/frame type off the old motor...look around at yard sales, auctions, buddies who do HVAC....get a spare and keep 'er there!
Disclaimer below:

Ever think of going to a real wood stove for a back up???? Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!!!! :)

My Husky was cheap,:) works great and doesn't use too much wood. I call repairs like this part of my heating payment, still don't like to have to do it but everything needs repairs sooner or later and I'm glad it didn't happen when it was really cold out.
I spent 135.00 for a slightly larger HP motor, a 4" pulley and about an hour of my time, not bad.

Latest posts

Back