60's Blue Homelite value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdmp22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can pick up a vintage homelite, one of the blue ones.

Has a 20" bar.....guy wants 25 bucks but doesn't know if it runs.....

Worth picking up?

Here is a pic

5V35Z35W43k83o53labbr36a18e8e0c5c17d7.jpg

Yes. That's a nice clean, complete looking Homelite Zip. Parts are easy to come by. Even pistons and cylinders come up often on feebay. The carb takes a Tillotson RK-88HL kit. It's not a "valuable collectable" yet, as they're not rare. They are a good reliable old example of American saws of the past. You're not going to make bank on it or use it as your 'everyday' saw.............but they are fun to work on, run, and show off. Buy it and enjoy the thing. If you get it, send me a PM with your email address. I'll send you the IPL and Service Manual that covers those saws. Also post up in the Homelite thread if you get it. We have a wealth of knowledge and parts help there.:cheers:

I just sold a zip a few months ago. They are fun little saw! I agree, they aren't that collectible yet, but someday they might be! And for 25 bucks, how can you go wrong?

Zips fall into the relic class, a blast from the past sort of thing. They often have 7/16" chain, but can be easily converted to 3/8" or .404 chain rim sprocket. They were spec'ed out with up to a 30" bar, they will pull that. The quality of manufacture is very high, they were made to last.
That style of Homelite is a classic, worth a restore to function, as Aaron said, hit the Homelite thread.
You will have the loudest saw on the block.

Thanks guys, I contacted him this morning, I should have it by dinner!!!

Grrrrrrr....guy told me he would hold it, but just called and said he sold it

Grrrrrrrrr!

Grrrrrrr....guy told me he would hold it, but just called and said he sold it

Grrrrrrrrr!

Boo! CL sellers can be such flakes. Fear not. That's an easy saw to find. Not hard to get one in the condition of the saw you just missed out on for $10-$100. A Homelite C-Series (such as the C-5 in my avatar pic) is also easy to find and work on. Fun old saws. Keep an eye out for those and old McCullochs such as a 200 or 250.

I don't have a big issue with it except I told him I would take it and we scheduled a meet time. Atleast he called when he sold it out from underneath me.

My first job was at a small engine shop, the shop owner had an entire room of 60's-80's homelites and macs....probably over 300 units......I didn't know he closed down a few years back and missed the auction, I was told they went for scrap weight.....somebody gotta real deal

I don't have a big issue with it except I told him I would take it and we scheduled a meet time. Atleast he called when he sold it out from underneath me.

My first job was at a small engine shop, the shop owner had an entire room of 60's-80's homelites and macs....probably over 300 units......I didn't know he closed down a few years back and missed the auction, I was told they went for scrap weight.....somebody gotta real deal

Holy crap! I've heard of similar stories a few times. Heartbreaking.

As for the CL seller..............I've had that happen at least a 1/2 dozen times over the years. Once, I was DRIVING TO the seller's house at the agreed time/date. I called her when I was on the way (as she'd asked me to)...................and she told me her husband had JUST given the saw to a friend. WTF????:dizzy:

Last edited:

yeah more than likely the scrap yard.

Latest posts

Back