630 A stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just replaced my old 630 A Vermeer grinder with a updated newer B model.

I just can't justify fixing my old machine anymore. I have no idea what these machines bring on the used stump grinder market, I am just looking for a few suggestions on price. I am not putting this thread up to sell it here on AS, I can't in good faith sell it to someone here on the site.

Basically my old grinder is almost a worst case fix er upper that still works and will even grind a stump if you go easy on it but needs some serious attention.

The VH4D 30 HP Wisconsin engine probaly needs a good overhaul, it starts decent, runs and will idle, but is low on compression and when put under heavy load it cuts out and sounds like it has a connecting rod knock. The cutter wheel bearings are shot and need replacing. Pivot points are sloppy and it does have some noticable hydralic leaks. The main basic frame and engine mount are in good shape. No ball hitch, pulls on a pin. Paint wise it looks decent and has most of the decals on it. The teeth on it are the 1/2in square shank round tip carbide with the round pockets that need replacing also. The wheel itself is in fair shape. Drive belt also needs to be replaced.

To me the machine at the low end is worth about $ 1000, high end about $2-200 K. I am just going by prices I have seen on the net for similar machines in good working condition.

Larry

Last edited:
I just replaced my old 630 A Vermeer grinder with a updated newer B model.

I just can't justify fixing my old machine anymore. I have no idea what these machines bring on the used stump grinder market, I am just looking for a few suggestions on price. I am not putting this thread up to sell it here on AS, I can't in good faith sell it to someone here on the site.

Basically my old grinder is almost a worst case fix er upper that still works and will even grind a stump if you go easy on it but needs some serious attention.

The VH4D 30 HP Wisconsin engine probaly needs a good overhaul, it starts decent, runs and will idle, but is low on compression and when put under heavy load it cuts out and sounds like it has a connecting rod knock. The cutter wheel bearings are shot and need replacing. Pivot points are sloppy and it does have some noticable hydralic leaks. The main basic frame and engine mount are in good shape. No ball hitch, pulls on a pin. Paint wise it looks decent and has most of the decals on it. The teeth on it are the 1/2in square shank round tip carbide with the round pockets that need replacing also. The wheel itself is in fair shape. Drive belt also needs to be replaced.

To me the machine at the low end is worth about $ 1000, high end about $2-200 K. I am just going by prices I have seen on the net for similar machines in good working condition.

Larry
do u have any photos

Sure, why not , sounds like a good thing to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon for me anyway, after a hard week of doing trees.

Last edited:
We had one exactly like that. I believe it was a 1989 Model. It had the 30 HP Wisconsin engine as well. I believe my Dad had it rebuilt at least 2 or 3 time! :bang:

Anyways, there was a guy locally (not a tree guy) that was selling a skid steer. My Dad ended up trading him a bunch of things, one of them being his stump grinder. I believe he ended up getting $4000-5000 towards the skid steer.

I don't believe it was worth more than $4000. Also, a year before that the Vermeer dealer was going to give us $4000 for it towards a new chipper. Just FYI.

-Matt

P.S. All this was Canadian dollars.

:cheers: Your close , model 10, a running antique, that one does all the big ugly nasty stumps that have to go down deep. I am probaly one the few guys around that have one. I am looking for a 665 to replace it or take the work load off of it. Some day it will happen.

Larry

Latest posts

Back