636 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernLA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After hurricane Katrina we sold a ton of these and they were great saws for the price. The boxes were labeled "professional chainsaw" the specs were clearly labeled on the box 3.5hp highperf. 44cc engine 16" bar adjustable oil pump.:D Saw came assembled just ad mix and bar oil which were included in the big box. These were pretty tough little saws I ran several to clear trees from around our building. I opted for the 650 instead 51cc 20" bar minimal price diff. Now, that I considering re-entering the tree business I thought I'd get a tough little 16". I thought it seemed odd that the spec. on the box differed from the Solo website but figured that they just hadn't updated the site. Well my new 636 is equipped with a 2hp (barely) 36cc motor without adjustable oiler, came in much smaller box (not labeled "professional chainsaw"), with out oil unassembled. So I think big deal I'll soup it up like the 650 i have. Not a chance while the muffler and airbox are easily modded the carb offers no adjustment (D-shaped screws deeply shrouded by carb body). :bang: Solo wont sell me a tool even though I'm a retailer. It also feels cheap in my hands! And to think I was gonna buy a 694. I'm afraid the specs might change. :angry:

So, anyone have one of drivers to adjust one of these carbs? Why would there be a difference between the 636's that I sold a couple months ago compared to the one I just got. Shortages? Canadian or European models? Should I try to grind of this shroud thing off of the carb to cut slots in the mixture screws? Funny thing, I just found the little flat bladed screwdriver for carb adjustment in the bottom of the box. Is that German humor?

carb adjusting tool

I have a solo blower and it has the same D posts for the carb. I made a primitive adjuster with a small copper tube which i slit and expanded to get it over the post. A lot of fiddelin around to get it to turn the post slightly.
What a PITA. I finally got a tool in the mail from the tech service guy at SOLO USA since there is no dealer in my state. I had to whine a little but he sent one to me thankfully. Adjustments are much easier with it.

Latest posts

Back