660 ProMag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
STIHL puts their name and part number on every single OEM part, other than maybe screws. Have him look to see how many parts have STIHL and a part number in the format of: #### ### #### (like 0000 123 7654) on them. On the top cover and air filter cover the brand and part number will be molded right into the plastic on the side facing the engine (inside). The clutch housing cover should say STIHL on the outside and have the part number on the inside. The clutch parts should have the part numbers laser engraved. The case should have the serial number plate up by the exhaust outlet, just in front of it (laser engraved non-painted metal).

1710521550279.png

STIHL puts their name and part number on every single OEM part, other than maybe screws. Have him look to see how many parts have STIHL and a part number in the format of: #### ### #### (like 0000 123 7654) on them. On the top cover and air filter cover the brand and part number will be molded right into the plastic on the side facing the engine (inside). The clutch housing cover should say STIHL on the outside and have the part number on the inside. The clutch parts should have the part numbers laser engraved. The case should have the serial number plate up by the exhaust outlet, just in front of it (laser engraved non-painted metal).

View attachment 1162287

That's on an auction site. When my brother learned that they were fakes, he quit looking.

I know they are fakes, guys. The question is, are they fakes worth buying, or are they crap from top to bottom?

I like the fake 660's.
They're about the same price as a homeowner 50cc saw.
Most need a few OEM parts. Decomp and chain adjuster for sure then see what else doesnt work right after running it for a bit. My neotech needed the choke lever shimmed, the oil pump modded for more flow and the oil cap broke but those items are fine on most clones now.
Clone saws are not for everyone. You need to test and tune for a couple tanks of gas before heading out to do a days cutting with one.

I know they are fakes, guys. The question is, are they fakes worth buying, or are they crap from top to bottom?
My bad. I saw your first line, "My brother called me today wishing to know what I knew about some nice looking saws he found on a somewhat local auction. Stihl 660 ProMag," and thought, "It should say 'Steal 660' because that's a stolen...everything." Sorry man.

I haven't heard of ProMag. I've read there are two, maybe three clone companies people find mostly reputable (or at least making reasonable stuff), ProMag isn't one of them.

If you like to work on saws and don't get frustrated when they don't run correctly, buy a chinese clone.
Personally, I think the time is better spent getting an OEM service manual from another member, tearing down a used OEM saw, cleaning it to like new condition, replacing any worn parts with OEM, and having an awesome, powerful, reliable, great to run saw. I almost had gone the build-a-clone route just for the experience, but time is money and putting it into a far superior saw was a good investment vs feeding a Chinese saw cheap parts and my labor. In hindsight I'm really glad I went the OEM route.

While money is tight for most of us and OEM parts aren't inexpensive (except for ECHO), "buy once, cry once" is pretty accurate. Based on design and construction I usually prefer STIHL, but ECHO is certainly great value for the money. Husqvarna has been really reliable for me also. I didn't want to turn this into a clone debate, but since @stihltech mentioned it I thought I'd fill in more of the why behind his statement.

If you want your OEM saw to last use fresh fuel and quality oil, run it dry before storage, and keep it clean.

That's on an auction site. When my brother learned that they were fakes, he quit looking.

Thats a new question that was not ask in the beginning.

IMO folks are getting the clone 660's for 2-3 shipped. Well worth it to me and owned one of those too.

You just have to know how to work on your own saw and trouble shoot things. Most dealers will not touch a clone saw for you.

Cut just like locals MS660 if not even better in cuts. I work on for him and owned 5-6 oem 66's myself.

Heck lot of guys milling with them and some have 2 G660 on them.

g660underhood.jpgs660plug.jpg

Latest posts

Back