7 tenths of a cord the hard way.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm only 28 and I'd get fat if i didn't split it by hand. Besides that i can split twice as much or more by hand in the same length of time as the splitter lol. I also split my trunks and big crap in the field into sizes that don't kill me to load. I imagine by the time i'm 40 i'll have a different outlook on a splitter. :)

What is this "I imagine by the time I'm 40, I'll have a different outlook on a splitter".??????

Young whelps, I just wish I was 40.:cry:

That's one nice load of wood for sure. Looks like some of them were good size rounds to split those in blocks like that.

That's one nice load of wood for sure. Looks like some of them were good size rounds to split those in blocks like that.

You are very observant. This is where it came from.
12-28-13001SML_zps5bb90641.jpg

12-28-13003SML_zps0656b2d7.jpg

all I can say is wow. good for you for doing it old school. judging by the black stains in the wood, it looks like that tree had some metal in it? perhaps some nails or something???

What is this "I imagine by the time I'm 40, I'll have a different outlook on a splitter".??????

Young whelps, I just wish I was 40.:cry:
LOL i actually broke the splitter out today :( Wife said "all those nasty pieces of wood strewn ALL over my hard have got to go" ..... 3 hours later... 1 1/2 cords of wood later. She's happy and i'm gonna get laid (also something you boys over 40 always wish you were under 40 about)

LOL i actually broke the splitter out today :( Wife said "all those nasty pieces of wood strewn ALL over my hard have got to go" ..... 3 hours later... 1 1/2 cords of wood later. She's happy and i'm gonna get laid (also something you boys over 40 always wish you were under 40 about)

jimblojango got the wood and so did his misses..

That is a big old tree. Good for you on helping out your neighbor. That truck load looks like some easy splitting oak.

Wow! I kind'a thought some of that wood came from big rounds but that trunk is one for the books. Time to pull out a few wedges for those rounds. Makes for some real nice wood tho. That one had to be fun to cut. Let them chips fly!! ;-)

I just did up several oaks with the blue stains and no metal in them. The trees came from deep in the woods so I was thinking it had to do with something in the soil.

Sounds familiar, i have a buddy that turned 91 last week that was in WW2 and still farms with us and feeds my cows when the weather is to bad to get to him. He does have the advantage of the GOOD equipment so it'll actually start when its -10 and all that good stuff but he's a tough old thing. His wife died 3 or 4 years ago and he's been going strong since. He won't burn wood because since he got a pacemaker his doctor told him not to run a welder or chainsaw or else i'd cut him all the wood he needed.
I understand the welder thing..but a chainsaw??? wouldn't think it put out enuogh of a field of magnetism to stop the pacemaker...

I understand the welder thing..but a chainsaw??? wouldn't think it put out enuogh of a field of magnetism to stop the pacemaker...

50000 volt in pulses 9000-10000 times a seconds makes for some strong interference! Have you ever been bit by a spark plug wire? It's definitely not the most pleasant memory I have. Now place a another circuit in the right orientation and close proximity and inductance can happen causing problems with the pacemaker. Have an electric fence charger with about the same voltage as a ignition system and there are 6 wires but only 2 are hot. The other 4 however pick up enough from inductance to curl your toenails as well even though there not physically connected

50000 volt in pulses 9000-10000 times a seconds makes for some strong interference! Have you ever been bit by a spark plug wire? It's definitely not the most pleasant memory I have. Now place a another circuit in the right orientation and close proximity and inductance can happen causing problems with the pacemaker. Have an electric fence charger with about the same voltage as a ignition system and there are 6 wires but only 2 are hot. The other 4 however pick up enough from inductance to curl your toenails as well even though there not physically connected
Now that you mention it, he HAS been bit by our gallager fencer and had to go have his pacemaker reset. He called and told us something wasn't "right" and that he needed a ride to the doc the next morning.

I split up a load for my 92 year old neighbor today. Every stick was split from big wood by hand and every stick was red oak.

After stacking it he told me he wanted another load. I split most of the straight grain today, so I will get the splitter out for the next load.

A guy at work told me I was a fool for using a maul when I have a hydraulic splitter. Well if you don't use it, you lose it. I'm older than he is and I can still swing one fairly well. I will bet he can't keep up with me.

Thanks for looking.

2-25-14Firewood004SML_zpsffad6ec8.jpg
Good on you Clint!! Nice Blue Heeler.

Laid, what is that? By 40 your generally married.

Latest posts

Back