70cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 272 Husqvarna that runs great ran it many years. In 2014 I wanted a 372 I drove about one hour to buy a used one I got there it was gone. After that I just bought a new one. You ask what is best value ? Only you can answer that. I always look for the cheap. The one rule I look at is good fast and cheap you can only pick 2. You no longer can choice cheap.

I guess it depends on what traits you consider best, or if it's a new or used saw. For used saws, I'm partial to Stihl 044s and Husky 372s. While I think the 372 is the better saw, I've torn apart 044s about a gazzillion times and have modded them extensively, so they have a soft spot in my heart. A 044/46 hybrid is hard to beat on the power/weight ratio side of things.

New saws? I don't have any experience with the Husky 572. I'd love to try one, but I don't know anyone locally that is running new Huskies...everyone's gone to Stihl. I use a Stihl 462R on a daily basis, so that's probably my pick if the 70cc is a hard line.

Stretch the size parameters a little bit, and I'm a big fan of the 400 and the 500i. The 400 runs like a strong 044/440 and is over a pound lighter. I did some port and machine work to mine and it runs really well now...no problems with a 32" in our softwoods. I know the 500i is in the 80cc class, but it weighs a little bit less than the 044 or 372...and has considerably more power than either one. For a falling saw, I usually prefer a bit more grunt than the true 70cc saws provide anyway.

If we’re talking about a saw you can buy right now off the shelf, the 500i would be the “best” 70cc saw. If you can find one in your area that is. The 500i is 79cc but still falls under the category of a 70cc saw so it has the displacement advantage. Plenty of good 70cc saws out there though. 462, 372, 572, 7310, 7910, etc.

If you're not using it all the time get an older saw in good condition for less money.

I got a 72cc Stihl 038av magnum and I use it 3 half days a week. Any more than that your hands will suffer with a few years using an older saw. Get an AV antivibration Stihl if an older Stihl, most are AV.

I love that saw, it compares in power to weight to modern saws, usually surpasses them, if you want anything more I would spend more on a more modern pro Stihl of a similar weight class. Obviously second hand is the answer to saving money but really insist that you try it out before you buy!

I have a 572 and a 500i. I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the 500. So far I have put an Egan air filter in it because the stock filter is useless. I am going to be upgrading the AV system as the stock is mushy. Yesterday I was out on a job and the damn thing quit working. Bear in mind the saw has less than 5 hrs on it. Looks like the decompression valve is stuck in the open position. The 572 just runs. It doesn't have the power of the 500 but it just keeps going. It is far better built. It also pulls harder at lower RPM than the 500. Consequently the 500 seems to really eat chains. Also noteworthy, is you want to oil longer than a 25" bar, you will need to push the roll pin in and that apparently voids the warranty.

I have a 572 and a 500i. I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the 500. So far I have put an Egan air filter in it because the stock filter is useless. I am going to be upgrading the AV system as the stock is mushy. Yesterday I was out on a job and the damn thing quit working. Bear in mind the saw has less than 5 hrs on it. Looks like the decompression valve is stuck in the open position. The 572 just runs. It doesn't have the power of the 500 but it just keeps going. It is far better built. It also pulls harder at lower RPM than the 500. Consequently the 500 seems to really eat chains. Also noteworthy, is you want to oil longer than a 25" bar, you will need to push the roll pin in and that apparently voids the warranty.
I've heard the 500i is great for power to weight but is very fuel thirsty.
To me that and the high initial price put me off, fuel is really expensive here in the UK.

We all have our own preferences personally my absolute favorite is a ported Husqvarna 266se/xp then the 268/272
But now that nice examples are difficult and pricey to find.
And aging saws require more maintenance and hard to find parts.
My second choice is a 372oe
I'd get a lowtop from night rouge in asia he ships them to the US
8-900.00 or so
I've talked to guy's with the echo 7310s that really like them I'd to get one ported eventually
Every saw doesn't have to be ported of course but they spoil you after running them.
I have run Stihl 044/046/461s that were good just not my thing personally
I have no experience with the 462
or 500i but they are very popular.

We all have our own preferences personally my absolute favorite is a ported Husqvarna 266se/xp then the 268/272
But now that nice examples are difficult and pricey to find.
And aging saws require more maintenance and hard to find parts.
My second choice is a 372oe
I'd get a lowtop from night rouge in asia he ships them to the US
8-900.00 or so
I've talked to guy's with the echo 7310s that really like them I'd to get one ported eventually
Every saw doesn't have to be ported of course but they spoil you after running them.
I have run Stihl 044/046/461s that were good just not my thing personally
I have no experience with the 462
or 500i but they are very popular.
I am a husqvarna fan myself but they are hard to find used locally in the 70cc class really any brand is hard to find in that size used locally
I just feel funny having to buy a used one and having it shipped to me without putting my hands on it first

I am a husqvarna fan myself but they are hard to find used locally in the 70cc class really any brand is hard to find in that size used locally
I just feel funny having to buy a used one and having it shipped to me without putting my hands on it first
Night Rouge sells new 372 oe's from the asian market
Genuine swedish husqvarnas.

I like my ProMac 700s ,they let everyone know whose cutting! They have more than adequate power and Dam near keep up with modern pro saws.
Ofcourse I am also a big fan of the MS441 Stihl and its innovative design at the time, it sips fuel and has some of the best anti- vibe I've used.
The Husqvarna L77 is also a very strong older design and at almost five cubes its got plenty of torque.

Ive heard many swear by Echo 680 and 7310 are in the range you ask about and priced a little lower than Stihl or Husqvarna.
no personal experience.

Latest posts

Back