71 to 1 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A few weeks back my wife got herself a new Dolmar 421.
With it we got two "Mustard Packs" of two cycle oil.

The packs are Black and Blue with Opti-2 written on them.
There are 1.8oz of oil in the packs. The directions say to mix the contints with 1 gallon or 5 liters of gas.
I mixed one 1.8oz pack with one gallon of 91 octain pure gas. This is a 71 to 1 ratio......

I need you guys to either tell me this will be OK or that I need to do something different.

I would like to run this same mix in my Stihl MS310
Dont want to burn up our saw moters.

Thanks
David

Some people swear by Opti-2 at 71:1. There are some that have been using it in all of their 2-stroke equipment for many years without issue. My former echo/husqy dealer put it in everything that went out the door and pushed the product. My current Stihl dealer is pushing it. He has tags on all his equipment extending the warranty if you purchase Opti-2. I have used it before at 71:1 without issue; then I found this site. Now, I mix all my oil at 40:1 regardless of the brand. There are several threads on Opti-2. I may try to find a few.

So.... This Opti - 2 stuff is not new.
I have never seen it before.
The wife likes it because it dont smoke.
But at a ratio of 71-1 coal dust most likely would not smoke.

From now on I think it is going to be a 50-1 mix with the Opti - 2 oil.
That is 70% ( 90 oz ) of a gallon of gas to one 1.8 oz pack of Opti - 2 oil.
From what I have read this Opti - 2 is suppose to be smoke free.
So the wife should stay happy.

Thanks for the replies guys.
This is a great site.

David

So.... This Opti - 2 stuff is not new.
I have never seen it before.
The wife likes it because it dont smoke.
But at a ratio of 71-1 coal dust most likely would not smoke.

From now on I think it is going to be a 50-1 mix with the Opti - 2 oil.
That is 70% ( 90 oz ) of a gallon of gas to one 1.8 oz pack of Opti - 2 oil.
From what I have read this Opti - 2 is suppose to be smoke free.
So the wife should stay happy.

Thanks for the replies guys.
This is a great site.

David

With any current-spec full synthetic oil at 40-50:1, the only way you'll see smoke is if the carb is hugely misadjusted or maybe on startup. None of this discussion in any way implies "smoke free". Just can't see it at very low density.

I remember Pioneer had some stuff like that in the '80's. I believe it said Optimol on the side. It was around a 100/1 mix. I think I still have a bottle laying around. I'll have to check and see.

Yes, and the mix used to be 15 - 1 with straight 30W, Opti-2 is waaaay better oil in less quantity, I've been running the stuff for 2 decades at the labeled ratio.

A few weeks back my wife got herself a new Dolmar 421.
With it we got two "Mustard Packs" of two cycle oil.

The packs are Black and Blue with Opti-2 written on them.
There are 1.8oz of oil in the packs. The directions say to mix the contints with 1 gallon or 5 liters of gas.
I mixed one 1.8oz pack with one gallon of 91 octain pure gas. This is a 71 to 1 ratio......

I need you guys to either tell me this will be OK or that I need to do something different.

I would like to run this same mix in my Stihl MS310
Dont want to burn up our saw moters.

Thanks
David
The gallon referred to, to= 5 litres is a UK 8 imp pint gallon as the more accurate measurement is 4.54 litres to 1 Imp UK gallon. Am I correct in the thinking that your US gallons are 6.6 imp pints? if in that case you mixed with 5 litres of fuel the ratio would be even weaker/ thinner ie even less than your 70/1possibly in the region of 85/90/1 ratio as you would have 9pints of fuel instead of the 6.6 pints; assuming your gallon is 6.6 pints. I am not conversant with your oz mixing quantities as I/we use milli litres to litres or a required % ie 2% = 50/1 3% =33& a bit /1 etc If it was me I would run more oil especially in the Dolmar with it being new. I run 32/1 in all my kit but that"s me old fashioned, but I would advise no less than 50/1, the company I work for has 250 litre drums of mix oil & i decant 5 litres & use a measuring jug to work out my oil/fuel mix ratio"s

The gallon referred to, to= 5 litres is a UK 8 imp pint gallon
snip I am not conversant with your oz mixing quantities as I/we use milli litres to litres

A good way to remember is a liter is a quart and a swallow. Not an imperial one. there are two tablespoons per fluid ounce eight fluid ounces per cup four cups per quart two cups per pint, four quarts per gallon. A gallon is 128 fluid ounces. There must be some temperature standard in all of this as I know diesel fuel expands more than water as it warms. 128/1.8=71.1

A good way to remember is a liter is a quart and a swallow. Not an imperial one. there are two tablespoons per fluid ounce eight fluid ounces per cup four cups per quart two cups per pint, four quarts per gallon. A gallon is 128 fluid ounces. There must be some temperature standard in all of this as I know diesel fuel expands more than water as it warms. 128/1.8=71.1
That"s were it gets confusing as in imperial measurements a Litre is 1.98 pints, but in your measurements (quote) a quart & swallow, which in imperial would be 2 pints for the Quart + depending on how big the swallow, at the tender old age I have reached I"ll stick to metric it"s a lot less confusing as non of this spoon /cup stuff just so many Milli litres

The gallon referred to, to= 5 litres is a UK 8 imp pint gallon as the more accurate measurement is 4.54 litres to 1 Imp UK gallon. Am I correct in the thinking that your US gallons are 6.6 imp pints? if in that case you mixed with 5 litres of fuel the ratio would be even weaker/ thinner ie even less than your 70/1possibly in the region of 85/90/1 ratio as you would have 9pints of fuel instead of the 6.6 pints; assuming your gallon is 6.6 pints. I am not conversant with your oz mixing quantities as I/we use milli litres to litres or a required % ie 2% = 50/1 3% =33& a bit /1 etc If it was me I would run more oil especially in the Dolmar with it being new. I run 32/1 in all my kit but that"s me old fashioned, but I would advise no less than 50/1, the company I work for has 250 litre drums of mix oil & i decant 5 litres & use a measuring jug to work out my oil/fuel mix ratio"s

Basically, yes. All the smaller containers here are 5 litres=1 Imperial gallon. It is also why we never call a bottle of Rum here a 'fifth', as 750ml is a fifth of a US gallon. Using metric makes is very easy to mix ratios.

This leads me to a different point. We are now seeing more and more strato chainsaws. And we are hearing from the field that these saws are using less fuel for the same amount of work. Husqvarna and Stihl say it can be as much as a 20% improvement in fuel economy. And we're also hearing the same for M-Tronic and AT saws. This is all fine and dandy. Well, except we are also seeing(at least in Europe, according to some techs I know) a lot of young saws(550's and 261's mainly, and recently a few 365XT's) die early deaths due to bearing failures. This is purely anecdotal, but I suspect the strato charging may be having more of an effect than simply better fuel economy. After all, if you are seeing a 20% less fuel used per tank, that also means you are seeing 20% less oil usage. 50:1 is already 2% fuel to oil ratio, vs 3% at 32:1 or 2.5% at 40:1. But a strato that gets 20% more fuel economy with a 50:1 mix is likely running close to 60:1 as far as the crank bearings are concerned if you consider the fuel/rpm or fuel/run time ratio vs the previous generation. As I recall, plenty of saws running at 32:1 seized as well. I'm not sure it's a great idea to make it any easier to lean out a saw - not at today's prices. Just a thought...

Latest posts

Back