747 Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Col2y

Col2y

ArboristSite Member
I like to work with what we call the 747 style, I live or the big tree removals. Bring it big Bring it fast Bring it hard (safely mind you) but none the less we work on commision so time is money, and if i can do 8 hours worth of work in 4 hours then im happy, because the pay reflects that.

Recently due to location change i started working for another company, its a small owner/opperator company much like the one i came from, that doesnt share my same mentality, this guy has been in buisness for 25 years and has a good name but, he works for an hourly rate and he as slow as the day is long,,, He feels that the smaller you take peices the safer you are,now when i say small im talking he wropes things that you could cut and chuck with one hand, where i figure to a certain degree the less time im in a tree the less is likley to go wrong.

I think that he thinks this because he doesnt have a span of knowledge quite like i do. He turns jobs down that are to hard and anything that you have to remotly think about he brings in a crane, where at my last employer i never once found something i could go no i dont want to do this and i never once had the luxury of craning out big wood. When i started working for him he had never seen a friction block/porta wrap, or even a split tail climbing set up for that matter, he had never used a fruitloop other then on a crane and had no idea what a false crotch was. I feel that im going to be going through baby steps again with this guy and im not looking forward to slowing down.

In later days i will try and post some of the videos ive got of some of the bigger jobs that i have done just for sh*ts and giggles but until then im just looking for some feed back on experiences you guys have had or advice that you might have

Cheers

TimberMcPherson

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The big stuff can be fun, but I have to say that there is a certain respect for a guy who is on the tools 25 years on.
Often guys who have been in the job in small companies for a long time have been a little cut off from the new tools and techniques and generally like to go with what they know. Your going to have to bring him around gradually, if you can at all.

Good luck, there are old climbers and bold climbers.........

hammerlogging

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Be patient. You're full on and he's conservative. But, this is a great chance for you because you can be such a huge asset to him, eventually you'll blow him away with your skill and speed and how much more money you can make him. And that means more money for you. Wait for a good time riding in the truck, everyones in a good mood, and express to him your experience and style intersets. Stay positive. Work it slowly, ask him if you can run a tree your style, start with ones where there is very little risk- roofs, landscaping, whatever. Pick up the pace here, and work it toward a general style. Don't forget who is boss and don't get fustrated, but in time, if its just you and him, and you respectfully prove you're an incredible asset to his company, guess which way the kick backs and the raises come, whose in charge of the business ion 5 more years when hes ready to sit back and relax? Good luck, and sieze the opportunity ons step at a time.

Col2y

Col2y

ArboristSite Member
thanks,

im a little bull headed so its very hard to sit back and run things slow when i know i can work it so much faster, but i have learned to bite my tougne where in prior years i would spout my mouth off, it should be a good learning experience for the both of us. another one of lifes little lessons i guess you could say

John Paul Sanborn

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
I have clients I work for like that (I primarily subcontract to other small companies as a climber) It takes a while to change the mindset.

Start working bigger as you go. Start with rigs that they can drag out easy one man w/o having to cut on the ground.

I have one guy who has to cut everything down to size before the rope comes up, been with him for 6 years, he says if I don't want to wait, dont cut so big. :laugh:

Most of my ohter clients will bring in extra draggers when I am in a big tree

C'est la vie

BarkingMad

BarkingMad

ArboristSite Lurker
With the right attitude learning experiences can be precious. Don't fight the guy, and be patient. At some point you might decide that you and he just don't fit. That's OK. If you've maintained your cool and stayed on center, the choice will be yours. Meanwhile, you get paid the same and have zippo stress. Good luck!

Last edited: