7900 not oiling the chain!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anybody else had this problem? I did the search and saw that there was a problem with these saws leaking oil but mine doesn't get enough oil on the chain. I tried increasing the amount of oil on the oil pump, and the screw won't turn in that direction. I tried turning the screw in the opposit direction and it will only go may be a 1/4 turn. I have the Dolmar 20'' bar on it. I wanted to put my 28'' bar on it but theres no way this thing will through enough oil to oil that bar.

This saw has only 3 tanks of gas run through it and needless to say I'm more than a little disappointed. The oiler from what I can see looks pretty cheesy. I bought the saw on-line so the Dolmar dealer nearest to me says he's he won't do the warranty work on it. At least he was honest and didn't BS me after I drove the 50 miles to his place. I'll be sending it back.

I wish I could help you.
My Makita oils great with a 28" B/C, and doesn't seem to leak other than a bit of what I think is "drip down" after you run it. I will leave a small spot for about a day, then nothing else.

I have to wonder if your saw doesn't have something simple wrong?
Hole in the hose, bad pickup filter or such.

remove the bar and start the saw

Let it idle.Is it oiling now? Those tiny holes in the bar tend to plug.

It oils the chain, just not enough to to keep it from heating up. I cleaned it up and ran it the other day. After about a half tank checked the oil and it had used very little. The oil seems to gob up around the bar mounts but doesn't apear to be going on the chain, and even at that it isn't very much oil.

As far as the pick-up or hose leak problem, that doesn't explain why the adjuster screw will only turn less than a 1/4 turn to the decrease side. The way that screw works, the oil output would have been maxed out from the factory. I've been real busy lately and I haven't had time to really look at it closely. Thats why I bought a new saw because I don't have time to mess with things. I'm a little p#*sed because I sold a really nice Husky 575 and a Cub Cadet 56 cc to buy this saw. The place where I've been cutting is going to be cleared soon and it has been a free for all with lots of guys in there cutting. I've missed out on some really big trees because of this problem. I was counting on this saw for just such an occasion and so far its let me down.

Figured out the problem and itwas something simple ad stupid on my part. The last time I cleaned the saw, I flipped the bar. Unbeknownst to me, the new bar had the oiler hole painted shut. I cleaned it up after the first time I noiced the bar was dry, but I didn't poke anything through the oiler hole. Hopefully I didn't overheat the bar to much.

same thing happened to mine. couldn;t figure it out for the longest time, changed to a oregon power match and oiled great, stock bar wouldn't oil gave it to a freind, he laughed and pointed, did i feel less than smart.

I was just gonna suggest send me the bar and chain I'll investigate the problem over the next 12-24 months then send it back to ya.

Glad you found the problem and posted the resolution.

I was going to say that the oiler should be plenty for the 20" and larger. AFAIK, the oiler is the same used for the 7900 which of course can run a bigger bar.

Since you don't have the oil leak problem you won't need to mess with that upgrade (improved oiler lines) from one of the sponsors that service Dolmar here. In case you have further problems with the Dolmar, you can get good remote help from them. They have been very responsive to the Dolmar/Makita community here.

Back