7900 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraftzion

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My new(to me) 7900 just got here and I've got a few questions. I bought it off fleabay and it didn't come with an owners manual. Date code is 0508 which I assume is a 2008 saw although the previous owner said he bought it in 2007. it has the pre cat muffler on it. I read the owners manual(2010) off the dolmar site which says to mix at 50 to 1 due to epa regulations. Did dolmar recommend 50 to 1 pre epa? Is 50 to 1 normal in a pro saw with stihl or husqvarna oil?

My new(to me) 7900 just got here and I've got a few questions. I bought it off fleabay and it didn't come with an owners manual. Date code is 0508 which I assume is a 2008 saw although the previous owner said he bought it in 2007. it has the pre cat muffler on it. I read the owners manual(2010) off the dolmar site which says to mix at 50 to 1 due to epa regulations. Did dolmar recommend 50 to 1 pre epa? Is 50 to 1 normal in a pro saw with stihl or husqvarna oil?

Build Date August 2005
Run 50-1 Dolmar or Husky Oil both Oils are blended by the same manufacture

Scott

Husqvarna makes the biggest hard case I've seen. Another thread had a couple of fire/rescue equipment websites. They had some relatively substantial saw bags for big saws. I have those sites book marked on my other computer and could send them to you tomorrow if you are interested. I just use a Stihl bar scabbard to protect my chains.

Husqvarna makes the biggest hard case I've seen. Another thread had a couple of fire/rescue equipment websites. They had some relatively substantial saw bags for big saws. I have those sites book marked on my other computer and could send them to you tomorrow if you are interested. I just use a Stihl bar scabbard to protect my chains.

The 64/73/7900 are too big for the Husky/Shinny case but there was a thread on here where some ingenious people modified the Husky case so a Dolly/Makita will fit.

The best idea IMO was heating the case with a heat gun in the areas it was too small then close the case over the saw to mould it to shape/size.

I'll dig up the thread.

I think i'll go the case mod route

I like the idea of being able to stack without worrying about my saw. Thanks for the info.

tdi-rick is correct.....

I "believe" that a majority of the hard cases whether it be Shindaiwa (That's what mine is in) or echo or even unbranded are probably made by the same place. I saw an echo and shindaiwa side by side and they were exactly the same. I used a razor knife and 4" grinder to modify mine. I posted some pics of the mod a while back. I haven't tried the heat gun method, but would guess it to be even better than the cutting and grinding method I used. I would think you would have a better look and more importantly lose less strength by "moving" the material rather than cut it out. I know mine had to be modified on almost every panel to make it work and it did. Chain brake had to be down to close the lid.

The saw usually rides in the bed of the truck for one reason or another so I prefer to keep it out of the elements more than it already is and when you are a dumbass and leave the tailgate open like i have and it flies out on the the highway it comes back unscathed! LOL. It's also got room to keep a quart of bar oil, 2 cycle mix, extra chain, spark plug, file, tools etc etc. Northern tool sells a black hard case that appears to be the same as the one I have and if I had a choice at this point that's what I would have gone with.

Good luck to ya.

Buck

I like the idea of being able to stack without worrying about my saw. Thanks for the info.

My hillbilly saw box

Here's the link to my previous thread about a $20 saw box that I bought at Home Depot:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=106294

The downside is that the box is large and takes up a lot of room in the bed of the truck. The upside is that it's cheap, stackable and large enough to accept other saw-related items. One other member decided to use this box but remove the bar and chain to reduce the length of the saw; then the powerhead fits right in the box, along with the bar and chain.

I don't take my Dolmar 143 out with me every time I go to cut, and I like having the saw all boxed up while it sits in the shed.

For only $20, why not give it a try?

Olyeller

Back