84dl Stihl chain too short for 84dl Stihl bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a used stihl bar. It stamped 3/8 1.3mm 84dl. I buy a loop of 33rs 84 dl chain at my local dealer. I put the chain on the bar and it is too short. How could this be? Thanks
ba23649694c474b2c862f99dc45b4297.jpg
a5e12b3ab8a84b2402c52e0d66ac8128.jpg
1450113618f92cf5ef3dae356f948db9.jpg
c7708bc4fb8b0eb7093688c012291230.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that happen to me on a 28 inch bar. the deal is the newer bar tips are longer than the old ones and they never changed the numbers on the bar. So they used to have shorter bar tips and longer bars and now they have longer bar tips and shorter bars. I had to add 2 links to my chain.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I had that happen to me on a 28 inch bar. the deal is the newer bar tips are longer than the old ones and they never changed the numbers on the bar. So they used to have shorter bar tips and longer bars and now they have longer bar tips and shorter bars. I had to add 2 links to my chain.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

That makes sense thanks

The nose sprocket/tip /chain fit looks a bit "iffy" the tie straps should hit more or less right down on the tip rails That shouldn't account for 2DL's worth though.as said the tip is possibly a different from the original

The nose sprocket/tip /chain fit looks a bit "iffy" the tie straps should hit more or less right down on the tip rails That shouldn't account for 2DL's worth though.as said the tip is possibly a different from the original

Is there a chain with longer drive links that this tip was meant for.

Have to ask

Have you counted the number of drive links on the chain? Stihl is not infallible. I once ordered two loops of 91 dl RSLF, that both came from Stihl at 92. Dealer shortened them for me and all was well. Much easier to get square ground shortened than lengthened.

Keep us posted.

Take Care

Is there a chain with longer drive links that this tip was meant for.

The chain size is usually marked on the tip It will just quote the pitch not the gauge as tips take 050,058,063. so it should be marked 3/8 ,325 looking at the photo it appears the nose sprocket is holding the chain away from the tip rails Could be someone has changed the sprocket in the tip with possibly an incorrect size

The chain does appear to be spaced too far from the bar tip rails but its not on a saw with the tension set, I think I can see a poorly stamped 3/8 on the round filler plug of that bar sprocket. Something like would be found on early China or other offshore AM products.

Latest posts

Back