89-93 Octane with Ethanol or 87 Octane without Ethanol? Which is best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaludaRiver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I seem to have these two choices or perhaps buying the premix in a can at the local dealer. I know this has been discussed before, but most of the octane threads
seemed to be pretty old and dated. I have tried to use ethanol-free regular 87 gas when I can find it for all of my lawn equipment, whether 2 or 4 stroke. I can't find
higher octane gas in this area that does not also contain ethanol. I don't mind feeding the low octane/alcohol free gas to my old McCullochs and my Homelite XL, but I recently bought a Husky 55 Rancher and I want to get it right.

Thanks in advance.

I would rather run high octane with ethanol and some StarBrite mixed in, then use the low octane with nothing. But that is just me. :msp_rolleyes:

I agree with the above statement. Im very fortunate as I can get the 93 Ethanol free.

I'll take the other side of the debate...
I can't get any gas ethanol free...
I have tried it both ways...(87 or 93) see no difference.

But ..if I could get fresh 87 non-ethanol gas...that's what I'd use.
Certainly in an older saw like a Rancher 55...just my .02

The old Amoco premium..(white gas as locals called it) was the best!!! :bowdown:
BP bought them out and now it's gone forever!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I think depending on how long you plan on keepig it in a can I would choose the non-ethanol gas for regular equipment and the high octane for the saws.

Or see if you can source AVGas locally. I recently switched from using pump gas to AVGas in my yard equipment and saws and have noticed a fairly large improvement in how clean the fuel burns but also in how much better the equipment runs. I have a string trimmer that I've had for almost 10 years and was thinking it would need a cab rebuild this year. After 2 tanks of AV gas mix it's running better than it did all last season.

I've been running 93 with up to 10% ethanol for some time. Keep the gas cans tightened up and in a cool dry place (preferably NOT outside) such as a basement or below grade garage. Use it up within a few months (just buy a gallon at a time if you don't use a lot). Idle engines dry for storage. I can't overemphasize to keep it stored inside, cool and dry, and use it within a few months max.

DO NOT use 87 without ethanol as opposed to 93 with ethanol. If your saw is already a little lean, already choked up on the muffler, it's 90 degrees outside, etc., you're asking for trouble.

I hate ethanol with a passion because I think the principles behind using it are flawed - that being said, it's not nearly the corn devil so many make it out to be. Most problems stem from improper mixing and storage, and excessive storage time.

Been running it for some time in the boat as well - with the caveats outlined above it is not problem there either. Shell or sunoco 93 octane + fuel stabilizer + don't keep it around more than a few months. You will be GTG, I promise.

Been running it for some time in the boat as well - with the caveats outlined above it is not problem there either. Shell or sunoco 93 octane + fuel stabilizer + don't keep it around more than a few months. You will be GTG, I promise.
Hillbilly...If you have a boat dock where you use your boat...
They may have non-ethanol gas...Just something you might check on!!
:cheers:
J2F

Ha no dock for this baby - 16 year old aluminum bass tracker with 60 horse merc. Been running 89 or 93 with ethanol in it for some time - never had the carbs off, idles good, runs strong. But I always put the stabilizer in and always either run it out in a few months or siphon it out and put it in a vehicle with another 15 gals to dilute it.

I'm not sure what the docks around northeast TN have? Boat doesn't get used much lately, maybe 5 times a year.

Thanks for the tip though!

Ask at the station

Ha no dock for this baby - 16 year old aluminum bass tracker with 60 horse merc. Been running 89 or 93 with ethanol in it for some time - never had the carbs off, idles good, runs strong. But I always put the stabilizer in and always either run it out in a few months or siphon it out and put it in a vehicle with another 15 gals to dilute it.

I'm not sure what the docks around northeast TN have? Boat doesn't get used much lately, maybe 5 times a year.

Thanks for the tip though!

In your situation I would just ask the station manager which tank gets filled from the tanker truck most often. That's the freshest gas. That rancher though..I remember mine ran better on premium over 87, I tried both from the same station.

This time of year I am not burning as much premix so I bought some canned and am trying that out, it works OK. I also stashed some to try in one year, next summer some time, to see how well it stored. They claim two years, we'll see.

Normally I have a non ethanol station near me so I use that for mix fuel and for the small mowers.

I've been using 92 octane fuel with up to 10% ethanol in it for years. Not one single problem. Ever...

Gary

I did the same for the past few years with no issues either. Leaving ethanol gas in a saw that sits for prolonged periods seems to be the issue. 5 gallons of mix gets me about 2-3 days, I'm pretty sure this is why I have not had issues.

I do the non-oxy now, simply because I can get it at the same station for the same price as the premium with ethanol....so why not?

Go ahead and run premium with ethanol, just avoid letting it sit in the saw for prolonged periods. - Sam

I've been running 93 with up to 10% ethanol for some time. Keep the gas cans tightened up and in a cool dry place (preferably NOT outside) such as a basement or below grade garage. Use it up within a few months (just buy a gallon at a time if you don't use a lot). Idle engines dry for storage. I can't overemphasize to keep it stored inside, cool and dry, and use it within a few months max.

DO NOT use 87 without ethanol as opposed to 93 with ethanol. If your saw is already a little lean, already choked up on the muffler, it's 90 degrees outside, etc., you're asking for trouble.

I hate ethanol with a passion because I think the principles behind using it are flawed - that being said, it's not nearly the corn devil so many make it out to be. Most problems stem from improper mixing and storage, and excessive storage time.

Exactly................Exactly..................Exactly............especially the part about how we have had ethanol foisted upon us.

Back