8K LP home generator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Gents,
Anyone running a whole house stand by generator? Wife and I want to install one and are leaning towards LP. Unfortunately, I don't run anything else on LP so would need a tank and don't want to be stuck with a 250+ Pig in the yard. My best calculations I should get 4 days run time from 100lb cylinder.
Any suggestions/advice/experience appreciated.

Diesel? Natural gas? Solar with battery bank/inverter?

Diesel goes bad, albeit a long time.

Batteries for sure don't last.
Solar panels (not a fuel) don't last.
I don't know about STORING natural gas for say 20 years, but it MAY last. But how would you monitor for leaks? Simple pressure?

I've used propane very little in my life. From my calculations 120 gallon tank should get me 4 days of continuous run from an 8K generator. Can anyone substantiate that?

can a city boy ask a question. I have a woodburner and 25000 stores with ice within a shotgun slug distance. I have to ask. do people with standby generators run them for maintenance purposes? personally I have a homemade job that my grandfather made and it will run my freezer and about it. I am okay with that for my use. I work for the phone company and we are required by law to maintain landline service and we have generators in every main office and they have a routine. whether they are diesel or LP. just asking.if you have a generator and never had a use for it in ten years do you expect it to run or even start after that much time? just curious. looking to buy in the country and wondering what everyone else does

can a city boy ask a question. I have a woodburner and 25000 stores with ice within a shotgun slug distance. I have to ask. do people with standby generators run them for maintenance purposes? personally I have a homemade job that my grandfather made and it will run my freezer and about it. I am okay with that for my use. I work for the phone company and we are required by law to maintain landline service and we have generators in every main office and they have a routine. whether they are diesel or LP. just asking.if you have a generator and never had a use for it in ten years do you expect it to run or even start after that much time? just curious. looking to buy in the country and wondering what everyone else does
I have one like post #6....it automatically starts every sunday @1900hrs & runs for 20min....you can program a time & day as you wish. In the rural areas it's nice to have. When the power goes out, quite often over here in Louisiana, my wife turns on the boat house lights to pi$$ off the cheapos across the river with no power, but a 1/2 mil$ boat...go figure.

Country power sucks, and a generator is awesome. 8k doesn't sound like enough for around here, but around here is really, really hot. We went 100+ degree days after Ike (Rita??) with no power. Now have a whole house backup, but have NG, which is nice. Unless LP is cheaper than NG, you'll be unpleasantly surprised the first time you run it for a few days, but your wife will declare it worth it

Some electric companies set your electric billing rate according to your consumption, both total kilowatt hours and peak amps. I believe my electric bill went down ever since I started using the gas powered welder. By using a gas engine welder, I have reduced my peak amps, and I get a lower rate. I try to keep the big air compressor turned off if I am using the mig welder, too.

You might find it practical to fire up that generator for use on greater than average consumption days, just to keep your peak consumption a bit lower.

BTW: I haven't done it yet, but natural gas is the only way to go, if that is an option. Propane is rather expensive, particularly if you can get road tax-free diesel fuel instead. Refills on a 100lb can are not going to be easy in a power outage.

The natural gas line usually just keeps your machine running, 24/7. Even weeks later, it is still working.

You can buy any size propane tank you want, you don't have to rent them. I would go withy the largest you can get. You can always erect a privacy/lattice work fence around it if you want to.

You never know how long the power might be out. Our cabin is the very last connection on this string, so guess who goes out the most around here....luckily so far though the longest was just half a day, but ya never know.

I just have a gasoline genny now, but we do have a 250 gallon full propane tank that sits here unused, so I would like one of those whole house propane jobbies as well. The farm itself, the main broiler houses, has three whopper diesel backup gennies to keep those houses operating (5-10 minutes no electric power equals beaucoup loss of cluckers..., so this is taken seriously here), and the boss buys diesel by the tanker load. Those are automatic turn on, automatic test "exercise" runs, remotely monitored, yada yada, top shelf stuff.

That would be another option for me, diesel, but..I'd rather just use the propane that is sitting here. I would only be running the freezers and well pump mostly and some lights in an emergency. We don't run AC, and have wood heat, so, there ya go. Can cook with wood or propane as well.

I also have some solar backup, but just two panels/charge controller, etc. Enough for a light or two, run the laptop, keep phones charged, etc., plus it could keep my Oregon battery saw charged up swell ;) At one charge a day, easy enough to do and cut, I could theoretically do over ten cord a year. Now that's a guesstimate, but guessed after some weeks of hard use and review of the saw.

We always keep a lot of jugged up water handy and two food grade 55 gallon barrels full, I haven't had to run the well from the generator yet. In a real long term electricity outage, I can yank the pump and have a bore bucket.

Our gas genny is just a cheapo 5500 watt peak use one, nothing special, cheap and small, but better than nothing.

After doing the math and evaluating our must haves during a power outage..we got a small 2KW yamaha to power the fridge and microwave. It's quiet and it'll stop the food from going bad.

We considered an auto lp generator, but they are pretty expensive. We ended up buying a 13kw PTO driven generator new for $1500. It will run almost everything in the whole house. I built a 3 pt hitch mount for it and we run it with our John Deere. We had an electrician install a sub panel with a transfer switch. It works well and we have 100 gallons of offroad in a skid tank.

I'd go with either Natural gas or LP. Diesel does go bad - if you've ever had bacterial growth in a diesel tank, it's a major PITA. For LP or NG you can get a 250 gallon tank buried so nobody even knows it's there (that's what I have). Once you put in the tank you might find you want to switch over to gas for your clothes dryer, oven/range and hot water heater. I have all those, but not the genny. I know the gas clothes dryer is FAR more efficient than electric, using either LP or NG (I've done both). The other appliances are probably a bit cheaper to run, as well, and you have all those things when the power is out. The hot water heater never runs out of hot water, either.

Back