9 HP not enough??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am gonna guess That you are talking about avaiation fuel? I know that it has a higher octane level than normal gas.. Not sure where i would get any tho...

What is AVgas 100LL. Never heard of it.

Avgass 100LL is the fuel used in aircraft. It stays usueable for a long time and does not gum up or varnish fuel systems. The LL stands for Low Lead....however it has as much lead as pump gas automobile fuels ever used.....so don't use it in any equipment with a catalytic convertor. There are lots of threads and opinion about using Avgas....some good some bad......some used it all the time and claim good performance. The fuel is about $ 6.00 a gallon and should not be used in any equipment used on the road as there is no road tax included. I used it in my chainsaws for about a year until I found a source for ethanol free fuel. I don't believe my chainsaws idled well on it even after I made extensive carb adjustments, and the hassle of going to buy it made me stop using it. Large airports can be difficult about selling it to you when you don't have a plane, small local airports are much more forgiving. I found a local airport (1 hour round trip) that has a credit card slot and you just drive up and get what you want as it is self service. Avgas is made from 70% Alkylate, 15% Isopentane, 15% Toluene, Lead and some additives, antioxidant and dyes. When I ran it in my chainsaw the mixture was too rich and the saw dropped 1,000 rpm's until the mixture was leaned out for the Avgas - and this makes it a good tool to help identify if an engine problem is related to a lean mixture.

9 hp should be more than enough. I pull a 16 gpm with an 8hp and 1/2" hoses. You gotz an engine problem. Especially if it pulls any rpms from the engine at no load, just cycling the ram.

(Trip Tester and Kevin - I tried to rep ya, but it says I gotta shoot somebody else, first:rock:)

Some gas stations say their preminm fuels are athenol free and reccommeded for small engines.

The only way to confirm that any fuel is ethanol free is to test it. I have driven to stations to buy gas that people claim is ethanol free and found 10% ethanol in it. Take a clear bottle (I use a 20 oz. plastic soft drink bottle) and fill it about 1/3rd with water. Mark the level of the water with a marker or tape, fill the rest up with the fuel you want to test and put on the cap and shake. The gas and oil will mix up, then when you set it down the water will return to the bottom and the fuel to the top. If there was ethanol in the fuel it will have absorbed into the water - and the water level will be above the level you marked on the bottle. If the fuel did not have any ethanol the level of the water will be exactly where it was prior to you shaking the bottle.

I suspect the engine

The hoses are fine. the 90's are not restricting enough to matter. We have run 16gpm up here (8000 ft, 24% less power) with 8hp and it is marginal, but workable.

It was designed to run on gas. I don't think there is enough compression in that thing to require higher octane. And I do run my saws on avgas... but not the splitter. won't hurt a thing, but not the problem.

I would yank the plug, look it over, check the compression. if that seems okay then look at that plug again. if it is running lean, then take the carb apart and see if you can find the main jet. determine the size with your handy drill index... and drill it out just a few thousands larger. Try it. Not much to lose.... It is also possible that they goofed up somehow and the ignition is way off one way or another. Take a little more Sherlock Holmes to determine that, but might be the issue.

-Pat

well folks found the problem and it was dead simple but caused the motor to run like a bag of ####. After verifying that nothing was restricting or putting extra load on the pump by holding the lever forward and pulling on the rope starter. Because the sled traveled a good 2-3 inches with each pull i knew nothing was wrong with the hydraulics. Got looking at it with a buddy and discovered that this little spring/throttle adjusting rod was bent up and hitting the tank. Thus not being able to move. This spring would adjust the motor throttle to pick up a bit when under load. After a quick bend with a screw diver problem solved. Runs the very best and no change in RPM anymore and no more engine bogging!...

1043nyb.jpg

For a chinese engine, Lifan is probably one of the better engines. Many of us have purchased them from Harbor Freight under the greyhound name. It is recommended to replace the chinese plug with a name brand plug. I dont remember off the top of my head which plug number would be recommended for that engine. Also. the 6.5hp engines like to be chocked to start even when the engine is already warm, not sure about the 9hp. Otherwise they have a very dependable track record with parts interchangeable with the honda gx series

The Briggs on my splitter says prime 3 times and pull the rope. That's just what it means. Starts right up and runs like a top. This is one of the smoothest running engine I've had. Quite too.

Thanks guys. I am pretty happy right now and take back all the bad thoughts i had for the chinese:msp_tongue:..motor is running great and as it should. It even starts better now, used to have to use full choke to start even when it was warm..

Latest posts

Back