A Big Thanks to This Site and the Members.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleagemutant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a free Mcculloch saw from my step dad that he took in to get fixed cause it would not start. They said it would cost to much to repair and sold him a new Efco, he gave it to me and I fixed it in 10 minutes flywheel screws came out. I locktighted them back in and it ran good till the fuel lines and oil lines rotted off I replaced them and rebuilt the carb and replaced leaking primer bulb and modded the muffler. Since joining here I have bought a Mightyvac, Compression tester,Walbro and Zama needle height gauges thanks Weedeaterman. Will be ordering a tach and Whia srewdriver set. Before this Site I could not tune a carb are understand it are vac test are pressure check anything now I have repaired that saw a old Mac 6 that has not run in over 30 years and a 610 a Big thanks to Ckelp also for helping with the primer bulb and spelling Mcculloch.

Good to hear. This is how the addiction starts :)

that's pretty cool man! I too have learned tons here, I try to read every single technical post, even if it is for saws I have never even seen yet. Sock away the info in the memory banks, it will come in handy someday.

I just finish this little piece to post in a new thread. I read your thread and thought it would fit in well here. I believe my journey is a fairly common one for the Chainsaw Forum.

The Simple Life until AS

Life was simpler then, pre-AS. It all started with a sweet Swedish curved pruning saw. My brother got the small Swedish cross cut saw and we shared pole saw duties. We also shared toting Dad’s MAC gear drive with the bow. Later we each graduated to PowerMac 6As for pruning and brush clearing that seemed to never end for boys dreaming of girls and imagining all kinds of cool summer stuff that their friends must have been doing. From there it was my first saw of my own – a PM510 which ran like a scalded dog but was difficult to crank and had a flimsy plastic recoil cover that I repeatedly ripped loose. Nevertheless the saw lasted two years and took on trees that only an idiot or kid would tackle so ill-equipped. The 510 was replaced with a PM700. I wanted a PM800 but the older and wiser dealer talked me out of it. He said I would burn an 800 up with my firewood cutting. I didn’t ask about the PM1000 because it wasn’t made by MAC. Woodcutting took a backseat following marriage and kids, but I used the 700 for the next 20 years or so. After it got really hard to start, I put it on the shelf and when saw shopping. I first looked at the Husky line up as my Dad had left the then old MACs for Husky. I also looked at Stihls. I pick the 036Pro simply on the basis of the advertized power to weight ratio. Until then I had never run anything but a MAC. Life became simpler with the Stihl. It was drop dead reliable. But then the large red oaks started to die in our area – too big to be falling with the Stihl. A local saw shop resurrected my PM700, but it and a 28” bar were on the margin. As more folks asked me to fall their nice big red oaks, I went shopping for a new Stihl. I couldn’t decide between a 460 and a 660. And I didn’t like the prices. My wife introduced me to eBay where I purchased a well worn PM8200. By now no saw shop wanted to work on the old MACs so Google led me to AS which taught me I could repair my own saws, but it unexpectedly led me to more and bigger saws, and spare parts, and bars, and chains, and sharpeners, and tools, and 8 pin sprockets. How I hate bars and sprockets as each combination requires a different drive link, and a few, a different pitch. The good old days of a single saw with a single bar and two chains are gone thanks to AS. If that wasn’t enough, word ran quick that I ran big saws (here another thank you is due AS for big saws) and before I knew it I am cutting Saturdays for 8 to 9 months a year with an organized volunteer organization. Can I ever return to the simple life? Why of course not thanks again to AS, there is so much more so close – the two kart saws and may be a 362 to be ported. I could have bought both a 460 and a 660 by now and had a lot of change left. Do I regret finding AS – not really as there are so many fine folks here. And I have learned a ton about chainsaws and how to use them. But then there’s that chain that is too short for an 8 pin and there’s one that is too long for a 7 pin. Maybe with a 7 ½ pin, life would be simple again. :help: Ron

I have to second the OPs post
Ive been around timber n saws most of my 56 years starting in saw mill in my early teens Dad being a sawyer

but never tinkered with them
Id played with car n bike n lawn mower engines but not saws
Im learning every day and Im very greatful for the site and its generous members
thankyou all very much

Remember the first time I used a saw.I was eleven or twelve and my uncle dropped of a John Deer saw I remember asking how to you run it and like a typical farmer, He said ""you will figure it out. Remember being a little intimidated but from than on always have liked chainsaws.

Latest posts

Back