A bit of a dealer/mechanic rant.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You realize we are getting what we are asking for from a dealer. = Cheapest price
To the dealer that means
- cheapest employee possible
meaning
- untrained
- unmotivated
- probably no common sense
- lowest investment
meaning
- no paid training of the employee
- no training by another employee
- no pay raises for those showing initiative

So we get the lowest common denominator. Someone who can walk over to a shelf, see something that looks about the same and say - "here is what you need".
That means, any body who can read a price tag can "help" you.

I don't ask for cheapest price, personally.
I just want competent service. If it's too expensive & they are right about repairs needed, I'll not complain. Pay a man/woman/dealer what they're worth & everyone comes out ahead.
as an expensive contractor vs. other locals, I find 99% of people who complain about anything don't complain about the price as long as the value and experience is there.

I had a friend put me in touch with an 82 year old lady who still cuts all her own firewood. She has a couple of new Husqvarna's but wanted to get an opinion as to whether her old 61 was fixable. She had taken a complete saw into the dealer and a week later went back to receive a box of bits and a "sorry cant be fixed, cant get parts" story. They had pulled everything apart with no sense of a diagnostic process, including the carb that was in a box in bits. Anyway a couple of hours later and we are away. Iris will be heading back to the dealer today and giving them a look at the saw with a pretty prominent middle finger I reckon. She is a bit of a classic - told me that her 550xp is a nice saw, but it just "doesn't have the torque" of the old 61 for Aussie hardwood!!!

View attachment 575703

They deserve more than a middle finger. A freshly mink oiled boot up the arse is what they need

You realize we are getting what we are asking for from a dealer. = Cheapest price
To the dealer that means
- cheapest employee possible
meaning
- untrained
- unmotivated
- probably no common sense
- lowest investment
meaning
- no paid training of the employee
- no training by another employee
- no pay raises for those showing initiative

So we get the lowest common denominator. Someone who can walk over to a shelf, see something that looks about the same and say - "here is what you need".
That means, any body who can read a price tag can "help" you.
The whole thing is messed up. I wouldn’t mind paying more for a service if it was quality. But most folks are all ready tapped out so it’s a **** cycle. Most jobs you apply for want Jesus Christ himself to work for minimum wage.

The whole thing is messed up. I wouldn’t mind paying more for a service if it was quality. But most folks are all ready tapped out so it’s a **** cycle. Most jobs you apply for want Jesus Christ himself to work for minimum wage.

Well, from the other side, what I see is equipment that is used and abused, ignoring little problems, routine service and cleaning. Living with this that doesn't work, then that. Up until the point that the equipment doesn't work anymore. Then being able to tell me what the problem is and how to repair it and what it should cost. Two way street. Always two sides to a story.
And price is always, the most important factor. Making a living, no matter what side of the counter you're on, is getting harder and harder.
You cant always blindly believe Yelp or internet forums.

At true Mom and Pop dealer, I mentioned to Mom looking for good muffler 028 Super bc NLA. She called couple weeks later. The tag on saw 'scored piston'. Saw was clean. Took home for $25. Muffler worth more than that plus good bar and chain.
For giggles, fueled and it started easy and ran. Tuned carb, cut cookies, ran awesome.
Compression 150, only slightest smudge on piston. Still had plastic on badge. Ran few tanks to be sure. Cleaned it up and sold for $250.
I know I suck!
Upshot, I don't know customer's problem for service but the service 'tech' knee jerk scored cylinder diagnosis was sad.
Coincidentally, 028 Super was my first new saw bought from 'Pop' over 35 years ago based on his recommendation. Shown in wood pile pic, still runs great. Lotta firewood.
3cfb60f2b6b33d2227a3465936985f4a.jpg
f42efcf344fe3492a3d613d5cee1524a.jpg
c2c0bfdeaf56a3d4637e7b4f41b5a2d8.jpg
0ac668994bea76b5a46454fbe8073733.jpg
b86cc28b8a7cc0f1830ced4f4b0b1a3b.jpg
1fb5eceed0191662d2e827cd19aef0e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

That 028 Super was actually a Christmas present for my Dad. We inscribed with Dad's name and number. About 6 years ago, Brother in law (Now ex) borrowed saw. Left in his pickup at Menards.... Yup, gone. Fast forward, guy brings same saw to Pop dealer for new chain. What are the odds? Pop sees my Dad's name....odd. Pop calls my Dad asking if we sold it.. no it was stolen.
Pop stalls, called police. Dad arrived soon afterward. Guy is wondering WTF. He said he bought it from his neighbor. When he said the name, Cop said Oh we know him!! Other than being filthy and a rocked chain, it was good.

That 028 Super was actually a Christmas present for my Dad. We inscribed with Dad's name and number. About 6 years ago, Brother in law (Now ex) borrowed saw. Left in his pickup at Menards.... Yup, gone. Fast forward, guy brings same saw to Pop dealer for new chain. What are the odds? Pop sees my Dad's name....odd. Pop calls my Dad asking if we sold it.. no it was stolen.
Pop stalls, called police. Dad arrived soon afterward. Guy is wondering WTF. He said he bought it from his neighbor. When he said the name, Cop said Oh we know him!! Other than being filthy and a rocked chain, it was good.

Nice to here a happy ending

The saddest part is this was the best dealer/service center in my area for years who set our big saws up very nicely but since the old service tech left its fell off the map.
You should take ten minutes to call them on the customer's behalf and let them know how you handled it for them easily, and that they need to step it up. That is pathetic the way the handled the situation. It is all too common these days. Fewer and fewer professionals do a decent job, let along a very good job. I'd love the opportunity to have done it myself and read them the riot act for their shoddy approach.

They deserve more than a middle finger. A freshly mink oiled boot up the arse is what they need

Farmguy? Why would you give them the courtesy of Mink Oil lubrication? If you're going to grudge**** them, no lube.......

I am fortunate to have a young local guy <40 doing repairs at his own business and he employs none, but he has shed any franchises for new equipment. He has a distributor that is feeding him new Echo stuff off plan, but I don't buy much new stuff anyway. He does know his stuff, and he stands by his repair work, but he does have a tendency to look at it dirty and tell you its not economical to repair. I buy mix and chain from him, let him sharpen a chain or two because I want him to stay in business here. But I also have come to know him as he plays disc golf on all the courses I have built here in town, and he volunteered one day. He is meticulous, and a machine. He brought three saws, but only used one, a small Shindaiwa- mag cases, and maybe older than he was. He did fine detail work trimming trees and what he was cutting out for removal, he was precisely methodical and didn't bend over once. Great technique, very safe, and he didn't stop all day. At times I'd have to remind him I was there with the machine to grapple the brush and move it, and stop cutting it so small and stacking it...... (though much of the time, his removals he was making six three inch trees all land on each other in a circle.... *smart* ) See my video, you can see him and my machine, which wasn't caring about how wide a pile was going to be, but dang I hate chasing four foot pieces of tree.

When I take him something I want repaired, and he looks at it from afar and says Its not going to be cost effective to repair, I know he isn't trying to get me to buy a new one- he's just probably backed up with plenty of Scotts brand riders or what ever from the big box store customers- and I have to remind him. "Matt, its not your money. What may be alot of money to you may be mere peanuts to another person"

I've been wanting him to rebuild an original Power Pruner Brand telescoping chain saw motor because I let it sit, for more than 15 years now. It was the last run PP made before Echo took over, (early 2000's?) and he says the clutch is different, so I can't just put a new Echo powerhead on it. Low hours on the whole thing really, but he says over 400 for him to rebuild it, and I can get a comparable new machine for $550?

The big dealer? Forget it. They didn't even want to look up the part number for a shift lever knob I need for my 2000 John Deere Gator 4x2. "We're not going to have that in stock" Me: "I wouldn't think so, but I came in to buy it from you, since you are a local store. I don't need to buy it on line. I know that I can, but on-line is not buying local." The look on their face was like I was talking Russian..... and made no move to a keyboard or catalogue book. What dumbass dealer isn't going to even take the time to sell me a jacked up priced part when I am standing front of them ready to pay for it, and make the second trip a week later to pick it up?

No offense to all you guys that really enjoy working on your equipment and taking good care of your stuff, I used to have to work on my stuff out of necessity, and got more better stuff, because it was someone else's broken stuff. I've turned a corner now. Maybe I don't clean things up like I should, (okay, I do ride it hard and put it up wet) but I don't leave it out in the rain or anything. I just don't want to spend time tinkering anymore, as much as when I buy new stuff, I know it will last a long time....

You should take ten minutes to call them on the customer's behalf and let them know how you handled it for them easily, and that they need to step it up. That is pathetic the way the handled the situation. It is all too common these days. Fewer and fewer professionals do a decent job, let along a very good job. I'd love the opportunity to have done it myself and read them the riot act for their shoddy approach.

He did get chastised for not being able to repair the trimmers he sold us and Stihl got a few calls about it, not that it did any good because my employer (california state parks) still deals with them.

Back